Week 2 GDT: CHI (0-1) @ DEN (0-1)

Broncofan

1 minute ago, lomaxgrUK said:

What am I reading here 😂😂😂

My last post on this pointless topic - if you ask every Coach in the NFL which he would rather have; a 1 point lead vs 1 timeout and 30 seconds from the 25 or overtime, all 32 would pick the former.

Can we try and talk about something of substance?

Strange that you should have to point out the blatantly obvious isn't it?

• Like 2

- Overall, Fangio coaches a pretty decent defense. Anytime you can hold a qb to essentially 100 yards passing in an NFL game you're doing ok. Especially when your best player (who should be killing it right now) is nowhere to be found. It would be nice to blitz at least every now and then though, but Fangio has never done a lot of that. 

- Hard to grade Scangarello's overall performance at this point. Atrocious play by our OT's is literally disrupting everything he's trying to do with this offense. 

- Garrett Bolles needs to be gone. There's just no excuse for that out of a 3rd year player. Nothing else to even say there. 

- I'll say this every week until something changes: Von Miller needs to be traded. He has contributed literally NOTHING to this defense thus far and has been on pure autopilot for three years now. 

- He isn't perfect, but Flacco is clearly the best QB we've had on our roster since Manning left. It won't be enough though. No one is going to have success in this offense until Denver fixes its OT situation, but certainly not a guy like him. Flacco isn't that kind of player. 

Edited by 1234567
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Well, actually we win if we don't give up a 25 yard pass play on 4th and 15 with 9 seconds left.

But we did give up that play and lost - 

the argument being made by me and p-Mac is that the wrong call was going for 2. Once it was successful we should have won the game. 

So we had the wrong call - and then the defence failed to do its job. Two wrongs don't make the 2 pointer right, just because it was successful.

6 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

My last post on this pointless topic - if you ask every Coach in the NFL which he would rather have; a 1 point lead vs 1 timeout and 30 seconds from the 25 or overtime, all 32 would pick the former.

Yes they would - but how many would have chosen to go for the 2 when the PAT was all but guaranteed to tie, the momentum was with your team and the oppositions defence was pretty much on its knees going into OT?

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Hindsight is a beautiful thing just ask Elway about the Bolles pick after todays game.

The argument being made is that the 2 was the right call - but only because it was successful - that is the essence of hindsight. 

The argument is that everyone would take a 1 point lead with 30 seconds to go - but to get that 1 point lead you take a chance on a call that is successful leas than half the time league wide with an offence that is well below league average.

2 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Can we try and talk about something of substance?

FWIW because NO came back vs. HOU on MNF and now CHI, today ppl probably think this is commonplace.    I'll have to look it up, but esp with only 1 TO, I think it's not even single-digits in the history since the 2000's.   I'll try to find the link & exact number, it's been a while.

5 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Yes they would - but how many would have chosen to go for the 2 when the PAT was all but guaranteed to tie, the momentum was with your team and the oppositions defence was pretty much on its knees going into OT?

Just a coupla' things.

1st, I loved the call. Sends a great message to the offense. 

2nd, I'm pretty sure this is the 1st time in my life I've heard a coach criticized when he went for two and made it to take the lead with under a minute left. I'd imagine the last time also.

Plenty of critics when they don't convert but when they convert?

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Just a coupla' things.

1st, I loved the call. Sends a great message to the offense. 

2nd, I'm pretty sure this is the 1st time in my life I've heard a coach criticized when he went for two and made it to take the lead with under a minute left. I'd imagine the last time also.

Plenty of critics when they don't convert but when they convert?

No I live in new Jersey this is verbatim what was said when Doug took over for Chip. Fans didn't realize he was changing the culture. 

Maybe it was because Cleveland had their draft pick that year who knows. And who knows if vic fangio is successful 

Edited by thebestever6

It's all hindsight analysis and we just do the lazy thing by boiling it all down to "bad call" and "good call".  I personally would have kicked the PAT, hard not to like where the team was at there. But I completely understand going for 2 as well. They had a great play for it. 

I'm ready for the deep dive on that 4th and 15 disaster. That was so stunning when it happened, I didn't yell out my F-bomb until probably 10 seconds after they got the timeout. And it shows that you can get burned no matter what you do on defense. Remember 2nd and 30 (I think?) vs. Mahomes last year that broke the team's back? That time it was man-to-man and they brought the house, gave up like 28 and put the Chiefs right back in position. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

The argument being made is that the 2 was the right call - but only because it was successful - that is the essence of hindsight. 

The argument is that everyone would take a 1 point lead with 30 seconds to go - but to get that 1 point lead you take a chance on a call that is successful leas than half the time league wide with an offence that is well below league average.

How much dirt is in a 6ft deep hole by 6ft wide?

None bc its a hole I understand the logic. It's irrelevant in the grand scheme this year.

42 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

- Overall, Fangio coaches a pretty decent defense. Anytime you can hold a qb to essentially 100 yards passing in an NFL game you're doing ok. Especially when your best player (who should be killing it right now) is nowhere to be found. It would be nice to blitz at least every now and then though, but Fangio has never done a lot of that. 

- Hard to grade Scangarello's overall performance at this point. Atrocious play by our OT's is literally disrupting everything he's trying to do with this offense. 

- Garrett Bolles needs to be gone. There's just no excuse for that out of a 3rd year player. Nothing else to even say there. 

- I'll say this every week until something changes: Von Miller needs to be traded. He has contributed literally NOTHING to this defense thus far and has been on pure autopilot for three years now. 

- He isn't perfect, but Flacco is clearly the best QB we've had on our roster since Manning left. It won't be enough though. No one is going to have success in this offense until Denver fixes its OT situation, but certainly not a guy like him. Flacco isn't that kind of player. 

Wouldn't surprise me to see Von gone by the trade deadline.