Mason Rudolph Mega Thread - ALL RUDOLPH TALK HERE

steelcurtain29

If I'm being honest, I'm oddly comfortable with what we have. Maybe I shouldnt be but, these are the QBs I wanted on the roster. 

I think because Mason is starting it will force our offense to actually utilize the TE and running game. I think our offense could actually end up looking better than it did with Ben as our starter

8 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

What's also being forgotten is that Connor is a much better RB lined up behind the QB. Not as a wingman in the Shotgun. 

Especially when Nix is back in a few weeks.  Line up in the 21, Conner and Nix in the backfield, Vance in line, Washington and JuJu out wide.

EDIT: Go back into the archives, dust off the old 2003/2004/2005 playbook.

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I personally like Hodges as the backup from what we saw in the preseason. Who knows what Hodges would be like against starting defenses, but it's not like we know that Lynch can do anything. I'm hoping that this is moreso the Steelers doing their homework in case there's another injury at QB.

Good article on the difference between Rudolph and Ben in the Seattle game

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/17/mason-rudolph-steelers-starting-quarterback-ben-roethlisberger-injured

key points:

• Offense may be the way it is (relying on talent and one on one matchups) because Ben likes it that way. When he has the guys to do it...great. When he doesn't...defenses can shut it down even in base.
  • Rudolph did alternately play the game too fast and too slow, but the tools and accuracy are there.
  • Steelers are only going to have success on offense this year with scheme, not winning matchups. Should be easier to do that now that Rudolph is QB.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, jebrick said:

Steelers are only going to have success on offense this year with scheme, not winning matchups. Should be easier to do that now that Rudolph is QB.

OL needs to step up and the running game needs to be legit, not just for the heck of it or a fill in play to give the qb's arm a rest. 

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/9/19/20873399/will-mason-rudolph-bring-back-the-play-action-pass-to-the-pittsburgh-steelers-ben-roethlisberger

It’s something the Steelers offense has been missing for a long time. For at least the last two seasons, the Steelers have run the least amount of play-action passes of any team in the NFL. With only 12% of their pass plays being on play action in 2018 and 11% in 2017, the Steelers are way below the league average of 24%.

Enter Mason Rudolph.

Yes, it is a shame Ben Roethlisberger has been lost for the 2019 season. Yes, Ben Roethlisberger is a Hall of Famer. Yes, Ben Roethlisberger had certain ways he liked to do things and those things were used extensively. No, it does not mean the Steelers must continue to do things in this way.

It is my hope that they take advantage of Rudolph's skill at PA and run them a lot.

• Like 1