2020 Draft thread

lavar703

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah, but JJ Watt ended up transforming that defense.  When you are bad enough to get a top 2 pick, you need to take the talented game-changing talent.  Literally, no one on our roster you can classify as game-changing, even the very good defensive line we have.  If you want to use that group to trade from to acquire more picks and fill other needs, I completely understand that, but I don't think we can pass on the super-talent.  

I think we have Game Changers in Haskins, Terry, and Guice (if he can remain healthy) on the offensive side. Defense Sweat, The Greek Freak, Payne, Fuller (as a Slot CB) and Collins. You lose those guys this team is a 0-16 even with Rivera as HC. 

Edited by Skins212689

11 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

49ers were only a couple pieces away. While we have the last placed ranked offense, worst ranked DB core and LBs that didnt amount to a whole lot.

Only team that avg 14ppg. SF avg 21 in 2018. SF defense ranked 22nd in 2018, but was loaded with youth and brought in key guys like Richard Sherman to help.

All we have is a young defensive line that ranked 10th and nothing else. JJ Watt was on a team that got like 2 wins. A lot of good it did them having an All Time Great when he wasnt surrounded by anything else.

There’s no way no one knew that the 49ers coming off a 2-14 2018 season were only a couple of pieces away man. 

You just never know. That’s why they play the games. Bosa made a huge impact for that defense. The same could be made for us w/ the addition of Chase Young and counting a few of the additions we’ve made on defense in free agency and a few of our young back 7 players taking the next step in their development like the 49ers young players did last year. I can almost guarantee that other players aren’t going to do what Chase will for us.

I mean nothing but Richard Sherman jumps off the page as being better than just good - mostly average - on the 49ers back 7 and that D and a great running game carried them to the Super Bowl.

Their linebackers are athletic and young but aren’t that good. Their other corners but Sherman are average at best, their safeties - same way.

We add Chase and we basically are equal to what the 49ers were coming off their 2-14 season except Garapolo was a vet but still untested and they had Kittle who is obviously better then any TE we have by a mile.

4 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I think we have Game Changers in Haskins, Terry, and Guice (if he can remain healthy) on the offensive side. Defense Sweat, The Greek Freak, Payne, Fuller (as a Slot CB) and Collins. You lose those guys this team is a 0-16 even with Rivera as HC. 

No just no. We were 3-13 last year w/ worse coaching, little direction the first half of the year and w/ a lot of injuries too.

We will have a better roster this year after the draft and our young players will improve too. You should’ve added Steven Sims and Peterson to your game changers too.

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

By the time they acquired enough talent to do some real winning. JJ had started the downturn in his career.

Spent 4 high picks the last 3 years on the DL. Everything else has been ignored. It would be nice to afford Chase. But its setting this team back if 6-1st round and a 2nd worth of draft picks gets tossed at the DL while all else is ignored.

If we hadnt already invested so heavily in that line, and the DL didnt already rank 10th. Id be for the pick a whole lot more.

In 2011 the Texans had a roster that was ready to do some real winning? 

Then why did they have a 6-10 record in 2010 and have the 11th overall pick in the draft?

JJ Watt made a huge difference in that defense and that defense was the base of the team - since he was drafted - that lead the team until Deshaun Watson was drafted.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

No just no. We were 3-13 last year w/ worse coaching, little direction the first half of the year and w/ a lot of injuries too.

We will have a better roster this year after the draft and our young players will improve too. You should’ve added Steven Sims and Peterson to your game changers too.

I disagree. I stand by what I said. Allen takes over for Haskins leaving Sims and Harmon as Allen's top 2 WRs, Peterson the RB, and Idk who at TE. 

On D you have Kerrigan, Allen, and  Thomas Davis leading the way. No CB's, FS, or SS to replace the talent lost. 

That's a pretty bad roster to get a Win out of. If not 0-16 they aren't doing better than 3-13. 

27 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

There’s no way no one knew that the 49ers coming off a 2-14 2018 season were only a couple of pieces away man. 

You just never know. That’s why they play the games. Bosa made a huge impact for that defense. The same could be made for us w/ the addition of Chase Young and counting a few of the additions we’ve made on defense in free agency and a few of our young back 7 players taking the next step in their development like the 49ers young players did last year. I can almost guarantee that other players aren’t going to do what Chase will for us.

I mean nothing but Richard Sherman jumps off the page as being better than just good - mostly average - on the 49ers back 7 and that D and a great running game carried them to the Super Bowl.

Their linebackers are athletic and young but aren’t that good. Their other corners but Sherman are average at best, their safeties - same way.

We add Chase and we basically are equal to what the 49ers were coming off their 2-14 season except Garapolo was a vet but still untested and they had Kittle who is obviously better then any TE we have by a mile.

Don't forget to include Garapolo injury in thier as well. His injury played a Major role in their record as well. So they not only added Bosa, they got back their Franchise QB while adding key Free Agent pieces. Something the Skins aren't currently doing. Their key peices for Our Future is totally coming from the draft except slot CB filled by bringing Fuller back. 

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

By the time they acquired enough talent to do some real winning. JJ had started the downturn in his career.

Spent 4 high picks the last 3 years on the DL. Everything else has been ignored. It would be nice to afford Chase. But its setting this team back if 6-1st round and a 2nd worth of draft picks gets tossed at the DL while all else is ignored.

If we hadnt already invested so heavily in that line, and the DL didnt already rank 10th. Id be for the pick a whole lot more.

I admit, I would feel a little better if we used some of the "extra" pieces from the defensive line in a trade to acquire additional draft choices.  I am still not sure who is considered "spare parts" with Chase Young present, but with Kerrigan being limited to one side of the field, he has to be one.  I've also said I feel that we have a roster crunch on the interior as well.  

For a team that's been as bad as we've been under Bruce Allen, we only have three top five picks to show for it.  The RGIII debacle cost the 6th overall choice that year, and the #2 overall pick two years later, and Brandon Scherff was the best pick in a really bad top 10 his year.  The other year, we hit with Trent Williams.  

So Trent Williams being one of the few elite level talents over the past 10 years that we've had indicates that you still have a need for elite talent.  From all we are hearing about Young, he's the kind of guy that's going to make that kind of impact.   I don't think we can pass it up.  There is still risk associated with drafting Young, as it is for trading down and acquiring more picks.  Look at what the Rams did with our picks from that deal- not much.  The year the Jets had four first round picks, they had a collection of talent that was pretty good, but not what everyone expected it to be.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

None of those players, with the exception of McLaurin and Collins would be considered "game changers" by most.  There is some potential, especially with Sweat, but we are overrating our players here.  They are nice pieces that others would like to have I'm sure, but they aren't close to the realm of being considered elite, or top of their position.  

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

None of those players, with the exception of McLaurin and Collins would be considered "game changers" by most.  There is some potential, especially with Sweat, but we are overrating our players here.  They are nice pieces that others would like to have I'm sure, but they aren't close to the realm of being considered elite, or top of their position.  

Haskins showed Elite Talent when treated like a starting QB. If your gonna add Sweat why not add Haskins? 

5 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Haskins showed Elite Talent when treated like a starting QB. If your gonna add Sweat why not add Haskins? 

I'm all on the "give Haskins another year" train to prove himself, because if he does, he will have proven himself ready to lead this team and you can start building around him.  If he can't, then his poor play will have put the Redskins into a position to draft Trevor Lawrence.  

I say Sweat because this was a top 5-10 prospect who dropped based off the (now false) report that he had a heart condition.  His second half numbers speak for themselves, plenty of people have posted them before.  But I wouldn't say he is there yet.  Meanwhile, Haskins had two games completing over 60% of his passes, and he did finish the year well, with both of those games coming at the end of the season, but they were against one of the worst defenses against the pass (Giants) and a depleted secondary (Eagles.). 

Also to be fair to Haskins, there is a lot more that goes into being an elite quarterback than there is for any other position.  He's shown some flashes, but there are reasons that there are many speculating now that the Redskins are seriously considered Tu'a at #2........I'm not one of them, but it's a growing sentiment in league circles. 

17 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That's ridiculous nap. WE NEVER DO THAT IN THIS FORUM.

17 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I'm all on the "give Haskins another year" train to prove himself, because if he does, he will have proven himself ready to lead this team and you can start building around him.  If he can't, then his poor play will have put the Redskins into a position to draft Trevor Lawrence.  

I say Sweat because this was a top 5-10 prospect who dropped based off the (now false) report that he had a heart condition.  His second half numbers speak for themselves, plenty of people have posted them before.  But I wouldn't say he is there yet.  Meanwhile, Haskins had two games completing over 60% of his passes, and he did finish the year well, with both of those games coming at the end of the season, but they were against one of the worst defenses against the pass (Giants) and a depleted secondary (Eagles.). 

Also to be fair to Haskins, there is a lot more that goes into being an elite quarterback than there is for any other position.  He's shown some flashes, but there are reasons that there are many speculating now that the Redskins are seriously considered Tu'a at #2........I'm not one of them, but it's a growing sentiment in league circles. 

How would it be ALL HASKINS fault what the team record is when we both agree Rivera has done little to add Talent and Key Pieces throughout Free Agency? 

59 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

I disagree. I stand by what I said. Allen takes over for Haskins leaving Sims and Harmon as Allen's top 2 WRs, Peterson the RB, and Idk who at TE. 

On D you have Kerrigan, Allen, and  Thomas Davis leading the way. No CB's, FS, or SS to replace the talent lost. 

That's a pretty bad roster to get a Win out of. If not 0-16 they aren't doing better than 3-13. 

I guess we’ll find out. I know there’s no changing your mind. Just realize though that it’s incredibly hard to go 0-16, that’s why so few teams in the NFL have ever done it. It’s just not easy to not win a game.

I also don’t think Allen is any good, he’s a younger version of Case Keenum, Haskins should beat him out easily. And, if the Redskins want to know about their future, it makes sense to play Haskins the whole year.

Sims, Terry & Harmon should improve. Guice - if healthy - will be better than any back up RB that Peterson had all last year. We will have Bryce Love and JD McKissic replacing what Chris Thompson gave us at running back and at worst the combination of them & Guice is equal to CT as a receiver and change of pace back.

We didn’t have Jordan Reed at all last year and Vernon Davis only played 4 games last year. So, at TE we should have an improved Jeremy Sprinkle in his second year as a starter or we will have Richard Rogers or Logan Thomas be the starter - or a rookie - and any of those should be an upgrade over what Sprinkle was last year. 

Thomas Davis is an upgrade over our linebackers from last year, Kevin Pierre-Louis is arguably our 2nd best linebacker and Holcomb, SDH & JHC should improve.

Fuller is equal to the corners we lost, Moreau played better than Norman did last year once Moreau got healthy.

Collins is the same at SS. Sean Davis is an upgrade over Nicholson at FS. Chase Young will be an upgrade at DE.

30 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

That's ridiculous nap. WE NEVER DO THAT IN THIS FORUM.

Yeah, instead most underrate the talent when the truth is that the teams talent level is really in between what the optimist and the pessimists claim, that’s why we are generally around a .500 team.