2020 Draft thread

lavar703

16 hours ago, e16bball said:

McShay just dropped a new mock. Had 12 receivers going in the top 2 rounds. A nice round dozen. 

Jerry Jeudy (pick 11)

Ceedee Lamb (12)

Henry Ruggs (13)

Brandon Aiyuk (20)

Justin Jefferson (22)

Tee Higgins (30)

Michael Pittman (34)

Denzel Mims (36)

Laviska Shenault (46)

Jalen Reagor (50)

Chase Claypool (54)

Devin Duvernay (60)

Probably leaves KJ Hamler, Tyler Johnson, KJ Hill, or maybe Gandy-Golden as the top WR on the board. I really like Hamler, but he’s basically Steven Sims, and I’m not sure that you can really consistently play the two together on the field at once. 

Unfortunately, this is what I envision happening. All the desirable wideouts will be off the board by 66, and we’ll be stuck waiting around for the next tier. In fairness, that tier is way better than the typical day 3 WR group, but still.

I have a hard time envisioning that many WRs going in the first two rounds but those guys are deserving, that’s just a lot. And another way to look at it is that it means one of the best TEs could be available for us at the top of the 3rd.

I would not take KJ Hill in round 3 - especially not the top of round 3. My opinion is that he’s not much better then Trey Quinn - if he’s even better then Trey Quinn - I just don’t know why we’d take him that high. Quinn is bigger, faster and more athletic then Hill and they both have good hands. Hill is arguably a better route runner but that’s hard to know bc Hill hasn’t had to run pro routes against pro DBs yet.

I 100% would take KJ Hamler if he’s the best available player over some of the TEs when we pick at 66. I don’t really care that he and Steven Sims are similar. Back a decade ago the Steelers has Antonio Brown & Emanuel Sanders and they were/are similar, Brown is just a better version. 

Having two good to great WRs who run great routes and are super quick, fast, have good open field vision and home run speed is not a bad problem to have, it’s a great problem to have. 

One of them can definitely play in the slot - Steven Sims proved that the second 1/2 of last year - and then Hamler can play on the outside or vice versa.

We don’t need to over think this, two WRs with the same skill set can exist when you basically have 3 starting WR spots in most NFL offenses nowadays.

Heck, Sims might even be a starter on the outside this year and then move to the slot when we go 3 wide. Cooley suggested that to John Keim the other day and Al Galdi tweeted out Copley’s thought that Sims might be the starting WR opposite Scary Terry this year and then Cooley suggested that Kelvin Harmon be moves to H-back bc Harmon can also block and is a better blocker then most TEs. I didn’t agree that we should move Harmon to H-back at this point in his career, but it is something that could work. I’ll find that tweet.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Doc- you've been posting long enough now that I'm sure you're open to Making and Receiving an offer !! :D :D B|

Absolutely!! As I’ve gotten older I’ve found I more into the making and even begging now lol. It works surprising well! 

my new hero is 1250631-mahavajiralongkornedited-1480608

he announced he is self-quarantining with 20 concubines. Now that’s sacrifice! 

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The Lions?  Not with a coach who probably has to make the playoffs this year to save his job, who also has Matt Stafford at QB.  

Hmmm.  I am surprised no one thinks this is a possibility.  I think the Lions would be a very sensible landing spot for Tua because they have Stafford.  Stafford can start another year and they wouldn't have to be in a rush to start Tua who needs to sit a year to completely heal.  In my opinion, they would move on more quickly from stafford if it wasn't for his contract.  Stafford may be younger than some, but he is constantly banged up and hasn't exactly been consistently elite.  Remember, Patricia inherited Stafford.  

9 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Hmmm.  I am surprised no one thinks this is a possibility.  I think the Lions would be a very sensible landing spot for Tua because they have Stafford.  Stafford can start another year and they wouldn't have to be in a rush to start Tua who needs to sit a year to completely heal.  In my opinion, they would move on more quickly from stafford if it wasn't for his contract.  Stafford may be younger than some, but he is constantly banged up and hasn't exactly been consistently elite.  Remember, Patricia inherited Stafford.  

A head coach on the hot seat who needs to win doesn't think this way.  See how Jay Gruden got screwed in his final year to see all of the proof of that.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

A head coach on the hot seat who needs to win doesn't think this way.  See how Jay Gruden got screwed in his final year to see all of the proof of that.  

True, true.  Although I guess the counter point is that a good way to extend a hot seat is to develop a relationship with a young qb.

49 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Absolutely!! As I’ve gotten older I’ve found I more into the making and even begging now lol. It works surprising well! 

my new hero is 1250631-mahavajiralongkornedited-1480608

he announced he is self-quarantining with 20 concubines. Now that’s sacrifice! 

My wife (who is of Thai descent) just told me that those 20 are not counting the one woman he keeps in London.

• Like 1

So PFF has us trading down with Miami and getting the 5th and 18th pick. They have us picking Andrew Thomas at 5 and Shenault at 18. Shenault? Are you kidding me!? The guy might not get picked in the first two rounds and they have us picking him at 18. If we passed on Chase Young and wound up with Andrew Thomas and Laviska Shenault I might actually be done with the Redskins. That is absurdly embarrassing value for moving off of Young. PFF just needs to go away. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So PFF has us trading down with Miami and getting the 5th and 18th pick. They have us picking Andrew Thomas at 5 and Shenault at 18. Shenault? Are you kidding me!? The guy might not get picked in the first two rounds and they have us picking him at 18. If we passed on Chase Young and wound up with Andrew Thomas and Laviska Shenault I might actually be done with the Redskins. That is absurdly embarrassing value for moving off of Young. PFF just needs to go away. 

Yeah man, that would be awful.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

One 1st cant be all we get out the deal. There has to be another next year. Which I would do that deal in a heartbeat.

Even if we bundled the 2 next year and grab Rousseau to quiet the Chase fanboys. We still come out a player ahead.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, offbyone said:

True, true.  Although I guess the counter point is that a good way to extend a hot seat is to develop a relationship with a young qb.

Not after two years of less than stellar performance from Patricia.  He's got to put up or shut up this year, and his best chance to do that is with Stafford. 

For what it's worth, they also really like David Blough, too, likely just as a backup to Stafford, but I'd say the Lions are one of the few teams that is "set" as far as QB goes this off-season.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

One 1st cant be all we get out the deal. There has to be another next year. Which I would do that deal in a heartbeat.

Even if we bundled the 2 next year and grab Rousseau to quiet the Chase fanboys. We still come out a player ahead.

Chase fanboys? You saying you don’t like him as a player? 

I mean come on dude. He’s an awesome prospect. Everyone knows that.

And how do we come out ahead? We pass on the best prospect in the draft - at worst the second best prospect in the draft for lesser players? And future picks also don’t mean those players are ever going to be what Chase is either. 

We’ve had a bunch of picks by trading down before and that didn’t work out as us “being ahead.” Being a head in draft picks doesn’t mean you will be ahead in having better players.

Edited by turtle28