Would you rather...?

theJ

Which option?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which Option?

• Option A
    • Option B

Let's imagine in this scenario that the Bengals end up with a pick around #10 in round 1 this year, and that that pick isn't good enough to draft a QB.

These being the only two options on the table:

Option A)

• Roll into 2020 with Dalton as QB1, Finley QB2
  • Use the 1st round pick on Oline or LB

Option B)

• Trade 2020 and 2021 1st round picks, plus Dalton, to move up into position to draft a new QB

Just curious how many are on the "Move on from Dalton at all costs" wagon.

It all depends on the QB(s) in question. If there's a true franchise QB worth the pick, take him. If not keep fortifying the trenches. Bringing in a rookie QB with this supporting cast is suicide. 

I like Dalton, and I like what I've seen from Finley and Dolegala. I'm not in a rush to give them all the ax just yet. 

And like I've said before, Jordan Love is the guy I have my eye on right now. Let's see how the rest of the year plays out.

Just now, TheVillain112 said:

I would recommend reading through all the posts in this thread by John Sheeran.  While we have issues at OL and Defense, QB is still the most important position in the game and we should move on from Dalton:

This is why i'm asking.

Dalton's numbers, on the surface, in this new offense look good.  But he's missing opportunities, and it's becoming more glaring that finding a "franchise" QB isn't as difficult as it used to be.  He's holding the offense back.  They could have scored 35 in Seattle, and probably the same against SF with better QB play.  Regardless of whatever is happening in the running game and with the defense.

I like Dalton, and have defended him at times.  But i'm on board with the notion of trading up and drafting a guy this year.  That gives them the flexibility to package Dalton in a trade like this, play Dalton as a bridge in 2020, or trade him if there's a suitor in a separate trade.

Drafting a LB or a CB or an OL in round 1 is great.  But not as great as drafting Watson or Mahomes or Wentz or Jackson...you get the idea.  Any of those guys can overcome these deficiencies we see.  But a LB, CB or OL can't hide the issues Dalton is having.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Let's see how the rest of the year plays out.

Trust me, i'm going to enjoy the year still.  It's exciting to see a new age offense, and a team not managed by Marvin Lewis.  Despite the blowout on Sunday, things are looking up.  

It's just that as we watch Dalton in this new offense, i'm really noticing his issues now.  Missed throws look really bad now because guys are running wide open.  Tight window throws are still ugly downfield.  And i think at this point, we know it's not going to get better.

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

Trust me, i'm going to enjoy the year still.  It's exciting to see a new age offense, and a team not managed by Marvin Lewis.  Despite the blowout on Sunday, things are looking up.  

It's just that as we watch Dalton in this new offense, i'm really noticing his issues now.  Missed throws look really bad now because guys are running wide open.  Tight window throws are still ugly downfield.  And i think at this point, we know it's not going to get better.

Agreed. Dalton has capped. Though I still think he's better than the Kirk Cousins, Jameis Winston's, Marcus Mariota's etc. of the league. 

I'd understand the decision either way. While a rookie might get killed with this supporting cast, would that be worse than staying the course? When I look at it that way, I'd rather take a QB and hope we hit. Watching Deshaun Watson run around and get beat up still looks more enticing than what we've got going now.

• Like 1

Voted A, but here's my C.

Trade Dalton to a contender who needs a QB either now or before the draft.  While he isn't the big problem, he does little to mask them.  Draft a RT and a cover LB in the first (assuming you can get the extra pick in a trade, or combo Dalton and a second to move up.  

Then draft a CB, and follow that with another LB and 2 OTs.  Cut Glenn, Smith and Hart and develop the backups

If we are sitting in the top 5, trade back for more picks, and even consider making the extra first a 2021 first rounder.  

Play Finley and Dolegada after the trade.  Atnleast see what you got.  If they are horrible, throw in the towel and pray for Lawrence, and have Fields as the backup plan.

As part of the 2020 strategy, target Georgia's LT, RT amd RG.  Yes I'm a Georgia fan (after Ohio State), but man, just watch them manhandle people in the SEC.  I haven't watched for LBs yet, but will start watching them in the next few weeks.

• Like 1

If the coach has decided  Dalton is not capable of running the offense how he wants,  then I prefer  IN's plan. Either trade or release Dalton and go with the kids. Build your weak spots in  2020 and if Finley/Dolegala doesn't look promising,  you'll be in an ideal spot to get a rookie  quarterback in 2021.

Still hoping we turn it around,  everything clicks and we spend the next 5 seasons with Dalton in the hunt for a super bowl. 

31 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Still hoping we turn it around,  everything clicks and we spend the next 5 seasons with Dalton in the hunt for a super bowl. 

I think that's possible.  But usually the teams without great QB's have much shorter windows.  It's usually only a year or two.

It's doable for the Bengals as early as next year.  Provided Jonah comes back healthy, and they find some LB support the situation isn't really that dire.  There is enough skill elsewhere to win ball games.  But the problem is that guys that flash (like Ross, Hubbard, Lawson) come due and you can't pay them all.  Without the game changing QB, it's an unsustainable model in today's NFL.