New optimism regarding Teddy B.

Mid Iowa

A few things I noticed last night about Teddy that have me feeling better.

He's starting to throw to receivers as their route develops. For example, Thomas on the right sideline and 100% covered, and had his back turned when the ball was released. He planted, spun his head around, and plucked the ball out of the air while the receiver was still trying to figure out what was going on.

He's longer in the pocket before he gets his happy feet. Not much, but it's improving.

I was pretty hot about the blind side sack he took late in the game on 3rd down, and thought he'd have seen that setup and known what was coming. After review, I see that L. Murray totally picked up the wrong block. Teddy trusted his back to make a chip, and instead, his back kindly got out of the defender's way. Ouch.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Fray32 said:

It bugs me that he wears two gloves. There I said it.

Me too.....to no end. How are you suppose to "feel" the ball and get the right touch on it?

Anyway. He had some really nice throws in the 1st to Thomas. The throw to Ginn on the INT was a nice throw as well. Get some hands Ginn....

He had some really bad plays as well. Last one being the biggest, which almost cost the Saints the game. 

He still looks SO indecisive.....win is a win though. I'll take it.

Ultimately I have been impressed by Teddy the past couple games all things considered. He has played 2 of the toughest teams in the league the past 2 weeks on the road in Seattle where they rarely lose, and against a top notch Dallas defense. These are 2 of the toughest games you could ever insert a backup QB into and hope to get wins and he has done enough to help the team go 2-0 in those games. It certainly hasn't been pretty, but the results exceed just about everyone's expectations.

Is he our QB of the future? Maybe. I think we get a better judgement of what he can bring as he gets a couple more games under his belt and gets more comfortable in the system. I'm curious to see how he performs against teams in more favorable conditions against weaker defenses, which we will see in the coming weeks as he has already shown he can help us get wins against some of the leagues best even if it wasn't pretty.

4 minutes ago, Dome said:

I think one game with good blocking could cure that.

Agreed on the blocking. The blocking could be much much better. Quinn absolutely abused Armstead last night. That was not fun to watch :(

7 minutes ago, Dome said:

The irony wasn’t lost on me when people wanted to see Teddy push it down field, just to have it bounce off Ginn’s hands for a pick. 

I’m sure that did wonders for his confidence throwing deep. I was pretty mad at Ginn for that one.

You and me both....for the same reasons. Same with the Hill throw. It wasn't the best ball, but it was damn sure catchable. 

Just rewatched the condensed film. Specifically the line and how Teddy moves the pocket/gets rid of the ball.

Its obvious to everyone that Teddy needs to make decisions more much more quickly. The rewatch supported that as I thought it would.

However, a good number of those holding penalties (about half) came when the pass rusher was in the very beginning of their pass rush moves, just 2-3 steps in sometimes. Armstead’s go-to move against Quinn was a clothesline. Warford and Peat were caught lunging and grabbing multiple times, that’s just bad technique and they both know better.

Maybe they’re holding because they already know Teddy is gonna need more time, but they’re definitely holding early into plays rather than a byproduct of trying to protect for too long and eventually committing the foul. Not all the time, but way too often for what we’ve invested in them.

They need to clean that up and Teddy needs to make up his mind quicker. I don’t even care if he’s pushing it downfield or not. Just get the ball away so we’re not committing penalties.

Fundamentals and processing, they both can be coached up.

Much better to be at 2nd and 10 than 1st and 20.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, navysaintsfan said:

He doesn't. And I don't know if you have noticed, but his throws have zero touch. He has one style of throwing. Hard. I am yet to see a decent touch throw from him.

I’ve got the next 3 days off. Gonna go rewatch teddys best games as a Viking and see what’s different. 

He’s had touch in the past wearing gloves, he was highly successful in college wearing gloves. I don’t think it’s the gloves. I think it’s much more likely a mental thing. 

A quick Teddy B highlight video shows he absolutely has the ability to throw downfield.

Right now, it’s a mental block. Maybe he picked up the habits playing small ball in Minny. If anyone can coach that out of him, Sean can. If Sean can’t.... ruh roh.

I think thing will be different once we stop killing ourselves with penalties. If we start consistently seeing 2nd and 4 instead of 2nd and 12 then 3rd and 4, I bet you see him start to take more risks.

Constantly getting behind schedule (1st and 20, 2nd and 17, etc) is a bigger issue for us than Teddy. Most any QB that isn’t a franchise guy is gonna struggle in that spot. It changes your play calls, changes what you expect the defense to do and changes the mindset of your whole offense.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dome said:

A good number of those holding penalties (about half) came when the pass rusher was in the very beginning of their pass rush moves, just 2-3 steps in sometimes. Armstead’s go-to move against Quinn was a clothesline. Warford and Peat were caught lunging and grabbing multiple times, that’s just bad technique and they both know better.

Maybe they’re holding because they already know Teddy is gonna need more time, but they’re definitely holding early into plays rather than a byproduct of trying to protect for too long and eventually committing the foul. Not all the time, but way too often for what we’ve invested in them.

They need to clean that up and Teddy needs to make up his mind quicker. I don’t even care if he’s pushing it downfield or not. Just get the ball away so we’re not committing penalties.

Fundamentals and processing, they both can be coached up.

Much better to be at 2nd and 10 than 1st and 20.

You know who's name/number I didn't hear was Erik McCoy, #78, our new center. He played well.

I haven't had the time to rewatch the game, just a few highlights. So far, the only pressure play he was involved in was at about 9:30 left in the 2nd, we were at 3 & 7 in the red zone and Dallas brought the house. McCoy and Peat had a double on Collins, and McCoy had to release to pick up Jaylon Smith on the blitz. He did, and Peat quickly lost control of Collins for the sack.

Other than that, McCoy deserves mention for hanging tight as a rookie against not only Dallas, but also Seattle, and the Rams the week before.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

You know who's name/number I didn't hear was Erik McCoy, #78, our new center. He played well.

Other than the Rams game, he's honestly looked more or less like 2018 Unger.

That's not the compliment you would think, Ungers 2017 foot injury clearly took a toll on him and likely played into his retirement. But he was still effective and so far McCoy has been too. Eye test looks to be just below average. For a rookie playing on a line that just flatout is playing bad right now, he's holding his own just fine. 

One thing I have a lot of confidence in this season is the offensive line getting things figured out, assuming they can stay healthy. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dome said:

Other than the Rams game, he's honestly looked more or less like 2018 Unger.

That's not the compliment you would think, Ungers 2017 foot injury clearly took a toll on him and likely played into his retirement. But he was still effective and so far McCoy has been too. Eye test looks to be just below average. For a rookie playing on a line that just flatout is playing bad right now, he's holding his own just fine. 

I'm interested in a few different thoughts/views here.

We have a tendency to build a pass protecting line, specifically for Brees. That has changed as Brees is out for now.
Watch McCoy on run plays, and on screens. He's a road grater! He's downfield in front of the rusher, and everyone is getting out of his way (because they're smart).

So we have 2 different kinds of linemen. Pass blockers, and run blockers.

What bugs me is that we can't/don't really have guys that do well with both.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Watch McCoy on run plays

The way he can pivot his hips and just seal off a hole right at the line is one of the things Unger did best for Ingram. We need to keep feeding Murray in that hole until he figures it out.

• Like 1