General News and Notes

.Buzz

16 minutes ago, MightyRx said:

So...O-line not bad?

The Texans don’t really have anyone good to generate a pass rush, so we gotta wait on that.

And then there’s this, where two effectively no name Texans DTs are on the leader board in pass rush win rate mostly off how they abused Cann  

But yes 4/5 of the OL had a pretty decent game vs the lower talent of the Texans DL. Hopefully they build on that rather than shrinking when better competition comes in.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Cann was awful in pretty much every cut up I’ve seen but the rest seemed to have done a fairly decent job considering.

I would not at all be shocked if Cann had at least half of the entire number of losses the OL had.

6 minutes ago, pwny said:

The Texans don’t really have anyone good to generate a pass rush, so we gotta wait on that.

And then there’s this, where two effectively no name Texans DTs are on the leader board in pass rush win rate mostly off how they abused Cann  

But yes 4/5 of the OL had a pretty decent game vs the lower talent of the Texans DL. Hopefully they build on that rather than shrinking when better competition comes in.

Will say I liked both of those guys during their draft classes, especially Blacklock, but yeah…not great.

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

I would not at all be shocked if Cann had at least half of the entire number of losses the OL had.

Think you’re correct. Especially with that stat above about the interior DL from them wreaking havoc. That wasn’t Norwell or Linder allowing that and there’s only one other guy those reps would’ve been against outside of maybe a couple against Jawaan.

16 hours ago, MightyRx said:

So...O-line not bad?

This is where Analytics = WTF???

Especially through a single week of a season sample size.  It's just way way way too small to make any meaningful conclusions, statistically.  Any math nerd knows that.

But it's not too early to make other conclusions, and point to things that unit did extremely poorly, or where the weak links were, and hopefully try to have Cann not suck so much, and Taylor not hold so much to cover up his suckiness, and just generally be better.

Only thing we can really take from this game regarding the line is the eye test.  Even with Cann's poor performance,  they generally looked ok in pass protection and more than ok on the rare running play.  The penalties are a concern,  but honestly two of the holds were extremely tricky tack calls.  One call on Taylor was obvious and the one on our wr looked pretty obvious as well.  I thought our initial offensive game plan and poor defensive play were the biggest issues. 

I want to wait at least 4 games until I give an honest opinion but early results are not looking good. This is still a highly undisciplined team the most concerning to me is not only the penalties but quantity and the stupidity of the penalties.. 🤨 illegal formation like how in the wide world of sports are you a professional squad and you can’t line up right? Why.. because your tackles are trying to get so far back off the line of scrimmage to combat speed rush that they are lining up illegally.. and it was other plays that it could have been called where it wasn’t called and theoretically they could have been flagged for illegal formation on the play Chark scored a TD. These are issues that just don’t work themselves out through game play it’s usually engrained in your DNA these characters have been undisciplined for years and it’s going to continue. Myles Jack great kid but in game he acts like a complete JA when things don’t go his way I know he’s captain material.. but he is going to cost this team a good 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty between now and week 4.

22 hours ago, pwny said:

Ross Blalock isn't some no-name guy.  Dude was a 2nd round pick last season so he's obviously very talented. 

Charles omenihu is also a very talented DL. Was a 5th round pick in 2019 and started 5 games last year.  I would take him on the jags over the backup DL guys we have.  He fits perfectly as 3-4 end.

I also am like fairly certain we all saw this coming when he got drafted there. Jason Garrett trying to use a unique offensive chess piece like Toney can provide seemed pretty far fetched when he was picked tbh.

I wasn’t a huge Toney fan (round 1 moreso) but still.

9 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

From what I'm reading the headache is from the lack of touches

He’s a rookie who missed a portion of camp and we’re 2 games into the season

im just saying given the media circus that has already surrounded the start of our season, I don’t want the added bonus of a “frustrated WR” who is making headlines.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 12:01 PM, JiffyJag said:

He’s a rookie who missed a portion of camp and we’re 2 games into the season

im just saying given the media circus that has already surrounded the start of our season, I don’t want the added bonus of a “frustrated WR” who is making headlines.

Yeah.  We really don't need something like that.

It's hard to compare, because the guy we got instead, unfortunately ended up injured and is going to miss the season altogether.  So in that sense, it'd be nice to have had something of that "element" on the field here.  But i thought it after the draft, and i still believe now...that Etienne (assuming he doesn't lose the burst that makes him unique due to injury), has the better chance of really making an impact in that sort of role.  Toney to me, was such a huge "project"...with a lot of pretty bad habits that need breaking, to unlock the speed/talent he actually has.

Not surprising that he's struggling a bit to make the adjustment, and isn't completely instantaneous with it.  The fact he seems to be getting a bit uppity about the situation though, is concerning.  'Cause he's the furthest thing from a polished NFL product, and it's going to take a lot of time and effort to get him to where he needs to be.  If he's not willing to invest, and just wants to be treated like he was in college...he's not going to have the sort of career you'd want.