General News and Notes

.Buzz

Some folks on the subreddit are unironically suggesting that Minshew should start the season so Trevor can learn from the bench for a bit. “Let Minshew lose the job, if he starts to stink it up, put in Trevor”.

This take should be a bannable offense imo

• Like 1

Is pretty hilarious how insane it’s making everyone on 1010 like Hacker and Hays.

I like that he’s making Trevor “earn it” even though we all know how it ends. The only gripe I have it it does take away some reps Trevor should ideally be getting, but I also don’t find that as a huge deal. This is usually how it works for a rookie QB.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Is pretty hilarious how insane it’s making everyone on 1010 like Hacker and Hays.

I like that he’s making Trevor “earn it” even though we all know how it ends. The only gripe I have it it does take away some reps Trevor should ideally be getting, but I also don’t find that as a huge deal. This is usually how it works for a rookie QB.

The rumor is we promised minshew a chance to compete for the spot.  

That's atleast the 4th questionable thing so far.

1) Iowa coach

2) the josh Oliver trade for a peanut 

3) the minshew competition for starting qb.

4) the schobert trade.  I don't think it was a bad deal.  Just a lil underwhelming in the return especially since we're paying the salary. 

5 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

The moron part is promising minshew chance to compete

Urban’s entire MO is competition. He can’t preach that every starting spot is a competition and then say “oh except for Trevor, that guy’s definitely starting” because it undermines the message and makes it look like he’s playing favorites. 
No one in their right mind thinks that anyone other than Trevor is starting for us barring injury. Turns out he’s also a comfortably better QB than Minshew so even if we’re going to buy the “it’s an actual competition” narrative, we still end up at the same result. 

I don’t know how you can be a Jaguars fan for the last decade, see countless guys get handed starting roles that they didn’t deserve just because they were paid $10M or drafted early just to be dog ****, and say that it’s actually good to continue that.

If Trevor is better than Minshew, he’ll win the QB competition. And if he can’t win the competition, he shouldn’t be starting.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 10:49 AM, JiffyJag said:

Urban’s entire MO is competition. He can’t preach that every starting spot is a competition and then say “oh except for Trevor, that guy’s definitely starting” because it undermines the message and makes it look like he’s playing favorites. 
No one in their right mind thinks that anyone other than Trevor is starting for us barring injury. Turns out he’s also a comfortably better QB than Minshew so even if we’re going to buy the “it’s an actual competition” narrative, we still end up at the same result. 

I get this part. It’s a philosophical thing. Setting a consistent example and all that. And I don’t even really care about this whole “competition” much...

But the latter part of that is where it seems kinda goofy to me. What exactly are they even “competing” on? What’s the metric for who “wins” and “loses” that starting gig?

It’s pretty abundantly and almost immediately clear, that Trevor could pretty much **** around, make mistakes, and still have the talent to pull himself out of that hole and give the team a better chance to win than Minshew firing on all cylinders and executing within his limitations at an extremely high level. 

The idea of a bona fire QB competition  is just kind of a mythical one in most scenarios (including this one). It’s either a feigned competition with a foregone conclusion, which seems like a bit of a waste of everyone’s time. Or they’re actually seriously considering it...which would demonstrate some questionable judgment in this case. 

Trevor will eventually “win” the competition and it’ll hopefully be done with and put to rest. But it feels a bit phoney and performative to me in the meantime. I’d say, “who are they really fooling with this?” But apparently the answer is actually...some people. So who knows I guess. 

10 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I get this part. It’s a philosophical thing. Setting a consistent example and all that. And I don’t even really care about this whole “competition” much...

But the latter part of that is where it seems kinda goofy to me. What exactly are they even “competing” on? What’s the metric for who “wins” and “loses” that starting gig?

It’s pretty abundantly and almost immediately clear, that Trevor could pretty much **** around, make mistakes, and still have the talent to pull himself out of that hole and give the team a better chance to win than Minshew firing on all cylinders and executing within his limitations at an extremely high level. 

The idea of a bona fire QB competition  is just kind of a mythical one in most scenarios (including this one). It’s either a feigned competition with a foregone conclusion, which seems like a bit of a waste of everyone’s time. Or they’re actually seriously considering it...which would demonstrate some questionable judgment in this case. 

Trevor will eventually “win” the competition and it’ll hopefully be done with and put to rest. But it feels a bit phoney and performative to me in the meantime. I’d say, “who are they really fooling with this?” But apparently the answer is actually...some people. So who knows I guess. 

I wrote up this long reply and then the site crashed for a couple minutes and I lost it. So instead, you get a really condensed version of what I had intended to say.

I think the competition is a multipronged thing, where you’re measuring

• Who the better player is - Trevor is dominating here. 
  • Who understands and can efficiently run enough of the offense to not need to condense the playbook - Minshew is reportedly a little ahead here; as he’s had two years of NFL experience and had access to the playbook longer
  • Is your franchise guy at a point that you can stop 100% focusing on development and instead shift his focus to weekly game planning without it stunting necessary development

I get the feeling with how Urban handled Tebow, Cam, Burrow and Haskins that the third one (which I’ve harped on as important since Gabbert was a rookie) is more important to him than it is for the majority of coaches out there.