General News and Notes

.Buzz

36 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

The joker that said that JSO planted cocaine on him? Jimmy Smith is a joke.

I get where you’re coming from on this, but he was an addict. Addicts lie and try to get out of trouble and try to save face by any means necessary, it just comes with the territory of being an addict at the depths they’re living. He’s since spent time in prison, done a full stint of house arrest, passed his probation, gone to rehab, been through therapy, and appears to be in recovery. I don’t really think it’s a good look to cite the failures of an addict at their lowest points when they’re seemingly out of those depths now.

Jimmy can be a Stan for those he likes and it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s inflating the situation to allow his buddy Keenan and DJ Chark to save face, but I think we can acknowledge that without bringing up the things he did as an addict to downplay who he is as a person. 

• Like 2

On 6/21/2021 at 8:52 AM, pwny said:

Really the biggest thing from this is that the OL needs to be better. And I wonder if they’ve done enough to facilitate that. 

Yeah.  Part of that ugly "yards before contact" figure, is probably partly just in the type of running game they were trying to operate here under the previous regime(s), and what they were trying to do.  I could see some movement on that front, just from schematic changes.  But no matter what, the OLine needs to be better.

It also kind of highlights where someone like Etienne might factor into things, with the type of multifaceted "weapon" they appear to be viewing him as.  That should include some of the type of carries that can "boost" your "yards before contact" figure, in actually having the burst to get to the edge and upfield before things come crashing down.

the other thing that should boost it is having Trevor Lawrence at QB. teams won't be able to stack the box as much against a good QB compared to bad QBs like Mike Glennon & Jake Luton or physically limited QBs like Gardner Minshew (Minshew isn't good, obviously, but I also don't want to lump him into the same category as Glennon & Luton either)

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

the other thing that should boost it is having Trevor Lawrence at QB. teams won't be able to stack the box as much against a good QB compared to bad QBs like Mike Glennon & Jake Luton or physically limited QBs like Gardner Minshew (Minshew isn't good, obviously, but I also don't want to lump him into the same category as Glennon & Luton either)

Yea even when Bortles had his 1 year or with Garrard when he was decent, you never felt that confident him throwing was the right call. This is a different ball game for us on this side of the 2000s

The interior OL passed the eye test in a big way last year imo. We all saw Taylor have a lot of struggles, but I thought Cam was largely fine as well.

All while having the aforementioned issues at QB (especially when Minshew was back there) that didn’t help the situation.

14 hours ago, .Buzz said:

The interior OL passed the eye test in a big way last year imo. We all saw Taylor have a lot of struggles, but I thought Cam was largely fine as well.

All while having the aforementioned issues at QB (especially when Minshew was back there) that didn’t help the situation.

It's hard to really view that in a vacuum though.  In that, in some cases...the tackles giving you totally inadequate play, can kind of flatter the interior by contrast.  ie.  When you don't have to be really "good" to look competent, you just have to be better than the dumpster fire around you.  Hold up well enough on the interior, for one of the Tackles to get punked, and you'll come out looking great.  But that doesn't necessarily mean it's a great Interior OLine.  Doesn't mean they're not also failing give enough help to the struggling tackles.

The pieces are there, to imagine the Interior OLine should be stout enough though.  Linder (when healthy) and Norwell both theoretically have ProBowl level play in them to give, and plugging your third spot with a "decent" player should be adequate.  But if your Tackle play stinks...it's really a futile endeavor.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

It's hard to really view that in a vacuum though.  In that, in some cases...the tackles giving you totally inadequate play, can kind of flatter the interior by contrast.  ie.  When you don't have to be really "good" to look competent, you just have to be better than the dumpster fire around you.  Hold up well enough on the interior, for one of the Tackles to get punked, and you'll come out looking great.  But that doesn't necessarily mean it's a great Interior OLine.  Doesn't mean they're not also failing give enough help to the struggling tackles.

The pieces are there, to imagine the Interior OLine should be stout enough though.  Linder (when healthy) and Norwell both theoretically have ProBowl level play in them to give, and plugging your third spot with a "decent" player should be adequate.  But if your Tackle play stinks...it's really a futile endeavor.

The whole unit I never viewed as an issue while watching them though, which is more so my point. Like going into the draft I was wanting more depth to push guys/have better OT depth but I never felt like this OL wouldn’t be able to block for Trevor or we really needed to make a move as far as starters go.

I wanted Orlando Brown or Trent Williams sure (one of which being a top 2-3 LT in the game) but I was also perfectly content with running it back with Cam Robinson after watching him last season if they weren’t attainable for the right price.