General News and Notes

.Buzz

On 6/4/2021 at 7:45 AM, .Buzz said:

Unfortunate because he would have been pretty much the ideal backup for TLaw.

Yeah.  Really would've liked that.  But it is what it is.  For Smith's perspective, i can totally understand his choice.  It can't be much fun to have to go through the season preparing mentally and physically every day as if you're going to play...while knowing that you're unlikely to actually get on the field.  Especially with all of the stuff he's gone through with his leg and how much of a grind that must be.

Would've been great to have an "on the field" and "in the room" sort of mentor for Lawrence like that.  But hopefully he's the sort of person and player who doesn't really need that, and the other support around him is enough to get him to where we need him to be.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 12:15 PM, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  Really would've liked that.  But it is what it is.  For Smith's perspective, i can totally understand his choice.  It can't be much fun to have to go through the season preparing mentally and physically every day as if you're going to play...while knowing that you're unlikely to actually get on the field.  Especially with all of the stuff he's gone through with his leg and how much of a grind that must be.

Would've been great to have an "on the field" and "in the room" sort of mentor for Lawrence like that.  But hopefully he's the sort of person and player who doesn't really need that, and the other support around him is enough to get him to where we need him to be.

Except that even if he doesn't see the field, he would still probably be doing it all for a 7-figure pay check.   That would always help to ease the pain of not playing.  Then again, it could be as you said that the rehab was just not worth it at this point in his life.  If that is the case, I could understand that, because he has already made a ton of money during his career.

13 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Except that even if he doesn't see the field, he would still probably be doing it all for a 7-figure pay check.   That would always help to ease the pain of not playing.  Then again, it could be as you said that the rehab was just not worth it at this point in his life.  If that is the case, I could understand that, because he has already made a ton of money during his career.

To borrow some words from Urban Meyer, Alex Smith is a competitive maniac. He’s always been an insane workout guy, and that attitude is the biggest factor in him being able to make the comeback he did. I don’t see him ever being the type of guy who is okay with just collecting a check and not being able to compete. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, pwny said:

To borrow some words from Urban Meyer, Alex Smith is a competitive maniac. He’s always been an insane workout guy, and that attitude is the biggest factor in him being able to make the comeback he did. I don’t see him ever being the type of guy who is okay with just collecting a check and not being able to compete. 

You're probably right.  Urban probably tried to sell him on being able to at least contribute as an advisor to Trevor and earn the paycheck that way, but as you said, his competitive spirit probably wouldn't allow him to do that.  Oh well.  Congratulations to him on a good career and an inspiring comeback.  About all we can do is move on and wish him well in his future endeavors.

On 6/3/2021 at 12:11 PM, Chops013 said:

Minshew didn’t show up to the voluntary practice today.

I wish that Gardner didn't go down this path. Yes, he doesn't have any long-term chances here...but this should be a strong offense and crazier things have happened. I doubt he is getting a starting job this year, and I'd be really surprised if he has a real good chance of competing for a job right now. I think that the Jags may just wait for an injury to arise...and then trade him to a team that needs him. 

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

I wish that Gardner didn't go down this path. Yes, he doesn't have any long-term chances here...but this should be a strong offense and crazier things have happened. I doubt he is getting a starting job this year, and I'd be really surprised if he has a real good chance of competing for a job right now. I think that the Jags may just wait for an injury to arise...and then trade him to a team that needs him. 

Urban addressed it after practice. He said that it was a light day for veterans so it wasn’t an all hands on deck practice, and that Minshew and Norwell were both given a personal day off. As long as nothing else happens, I wouldn’t worry. 

Just now, pwny said:

Urban addressed it after practice. He said that it was a light day for veterans so it wasn’t an all hands on deck practice, and that Minshew and Norwell were both given a personal day off. As long as nothing else happens, I wouldn’t worry. 

Alright...cool. I love Minshew and hope we can find a way to keep him around. It just doesn't make any sense to get rid of him unless personality conflict was the issue. He's a really good QB...low end starting caliber guy...and he can get better. I have more hope Minshew than almost all of the guys drafted ahead of him.