• University of Michigan
    • Washington Redskins
    • Miami Dolphins
    • Denver Broncos
    • Detroit Lions
    • Takes a Year Off
    • Other

5 hours ago, DigInBoys said:

Isn't that exactly the point, Michigan SHOULD be a tier one program and Harbaugh was hired to get them back to that level but hasn't.

The issue is that to make Michigan a tier one program, you need a coach who runs a unique system. Harbaugh isn't that guy. You have to get a leg up on the programs that can bring in more talent. Harbaugh is a good college coach. I am a bit surprised he hasn't had more success at Michigan. Probably because he won't modernize his offense.

19 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The issue is that to make Michigan a tier one program, you need a coach who runs a unique system. Harbaugh isn't that guy. You have to get a leg up on the programs that can bring in more talent. Harbaugh is a good college coach. I am a bit surprised he hasn't had more success at Michigan. Probably because he won't modernize his offense.

He tried this year, but seemingly brought in the wrong guy to do it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why you'd hire Josh Gattis for that. Seems like a halfhearted attempt to change.

I'd say handing the keys to an unproven guy like Gattis was probably too much attempt to change. It was exciting early because it showed Harbaugh was finally willing to change and he was getting a guy who had (supposedly) learned from some talented offensive minds, particularly with Joe Moorhead while at PSU. The offense showed some interesting new wrinkles in the spring game where they were getting guys moving and trying to attack different parts of the field. The actual offense? Basically does none of that. And the run game is a mess after being pretty solid last year when they let Warinner start to get involved. They've got to change something.

I don't think there's any scenario where Michigan fires Harbaugh, but if there's ever a time that he might actually considering jumping back (if wanted), I'd think it'd be this year if they struggle greatly down the stretch.

Edited by JammerHammer21

14 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

I'd say handing the keys to an unproven guy like Gattis was probably too much attempt to change. It was exciting early because it showed Harbaugh was finally willing to change and he was getting a guy who had (supposedly) learned from some talented offensive minds, particularly with Joe Moorhead while at PSU. The offense showed some interesting new wrinkles in the spring game where they were getting guys moving and trying to attack different parts of the field. The actual offense? Basically does none of that. And the run game is a mess after being pretty solid last year when they let Warinner start to get involved. They've got to change something.

I don't think there's any scenario where Michigan fires Harbaugh, but if there's ever a time that he might actually considering jumping back (if wanted), I'd think it'd be this year if they struggle greatly down the stretch.

I would go in the opposite direction. I think Gattis was a conservative pick coming from Bama. Yeah, he worked with PSU, but I wouldn't even say that Franklin's spread system from PSU is that significant of a change. I think going after somebody like Graham Harrell would have been a ballsy pick.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah cause it's not like Michigan consistently brings in highly rated recruiting classes... Oh wait.. They do.. And that's despite their struggles over the past 15 years.

Getting talent to go to Ann Arbor isn't a problem, Michigan is one of those lucky schools where the name recruits itself, it's a brand...I may agree that maybe it shouldn't be anymore with how much the program has struggled but regardless it is.

The issue has been getting a coaching staff together that can actually do something with that talent with consistency. Particularly on the offensive side of the ball.

Edited by rob_shadows

16 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Yeah cause it's not like Michigan consistently brings in highly rated recruiting classes... Oh wait.. They do.. And that's despite their struggles over the past 15 years.

Getting talent to go to Ann Arbor isn't a problem, Michigan is one of those lucky schools where the name recruits itself, it's a brand...I may agree that maybe it shouldn't be anymore with how much the program has struggled but regardless it is.

The issue has been getting a coaching staff together that can actually do something with that talent with consistency. Particularly on the offensive side of the ball.

Cool. What have the highly rated classes gotten you? I'm a Gators fan. I feel your pain. But right now, neither of our programs are pulling the sort of talent that Bama/Clemson/UGA/OSU are.

35 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Cool. What have the highly rated classes gotten you? I'm a Gators fan. I feel your pain. But right now, neither of our programs are pulling the sort of talent that Bama/Clemson/UGA/OSU are.

To be fair, few schools are able to even bring in 2 classes over a 4 year period as good as those 4 schools do every single year.

2 minutes ago, Raves said:

To be fair, few schools are able to even bring in 2 classes over a 4 year period as good as those 4 schools do every single year.

Yep. That was my point. If you can't bring in the talent they do, you need to have a coach who will run schemes that compensate for them having superior talent. The only other way you can beat them is having a coaching staff that is so good at developing talent and instilling discipline that you beat them with the little margin for error you have. I guess they thought Harbaugh was the latter option. But if he's going to be that guy, he still needs to modernize his offense. That's going to mean departing his comfort zone.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yep. That was my point. If you can't bring in the talent they do, you need to have a coach who will run schemes that compensate for them having superior talent. The only other way you can beat them is having a coaching staff that is so good at developing talent and instilling discipline that you beat them with the little margin for error you have. I guess they thought Harbaugh was the latter option. But if he's going to be that guy, he still needs to modernize his offense. That's going to mean departing his comfort zone.

I would start with this question if I'm Michigan though and try to address it. Why can't we bring in the same talent as these guys? If it's not a lack of money, which I don't think it is, then there must be a solution.

4 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I would start with this question if I'm Michigan though and try to address it. Why can't we bring in the same talent as these guys? If it's not a lack of money, which I don't think it is, then there must be a solution.

I know what the solution for UGA was. But not every program will embrace that solution (or can).