Player Appreciation Thread

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Cooper isn't a bonafide #1 WR at this point in his career. Dude couldn't produce away from Dallas' indoor stadium and disappeared in games that mattered. Let's not forget the drops. If Dallas pays him 18-20 million, it'll be a comical waste of money.

Cooper is a top 10 WR in the NFL. So unless there are less than 10 #1 WR's in the league, Cooper is without a doubt a #1 WR. 

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

@MrOaktown_56 it will not let me quote you but we can agree to disagree then.   There are not ten WRs you can consistently rely on in the league to perform at a top level.  Last year in Dallas and the beginning of this year is a more accurate representation of who he is.  The second half of the year he had multiple lower body injuries that limited him.  Statistically he was a top 3 WR before the injuries this year.  Even with being hurt and the collapse of Dallas he was still 8th in yards, 9th in TDs, and 21st in targets.  Per target there are not many WRs that compare to him.  He is not worth $18-20 million but no WR is to me.  Like I have stated before he is similar to Moss.  He will disappear for some games, be solid a lot of games, and then win you some games.  To make him disappear you have to game plan for him in Dallas.  In Oakland Carr would take him out of the game on his own.  

He disappeared because he became a malcontent that dropped passes, didn't run routes at full effort, and got bracketed due to our lack of a legit #2 WR and run game. 

I'm not looking at statistics. You can run up statistics in meaningless games, which is where a lot of his production came from. In the "big money" games, like against New England and Philly, he disappeared. That's telling to me. He also had tons of big games for us. He just never took the next step. 

On talent, I'd personally rather have: Julio, Thomas, Thielen, Green, Hopkins, Odell, Evans, Keenan Allen, Allen Robinson, Davante Adams, Chris Godwin, Kenny Golladay, Tyreek Hill, and Courtland Sutton. Talent wise he's on par with Diggs, Chark, Parker, Landry, Kupp, AJ Brown, etc. He's a top 20 WR, but not a guy I'd consider worth what he'll get on the market, nor is he a big game player like some of these other WRs, who are not only more reliable, but get it done in big games.

• Like 2

Also some of my quoted posts are appearing funny, if you want to tag me to respond, by all means... Also, I didn't even factor in how much Cooper gave up on us. If you look at how he's acted in Dallas, it's like he's a completely different person. Even in 2016, Cooper didn't look as happy to be here as he has with Dallas, even during their mediocre season.

At some point you have to stop buying the injury talk or discount it. He was suited up. He said every year for us he was injured. Either he's constantly injured, or soft. Pick one.

Edited by MrOaktown_56
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Also some of my quoted posts are appearing funny, if you want to tag me to respond, by all means... Also, I didn't even factor in how much Cooper gave up on us. If you look at how he's acted in Dallas, it's like he's a completely different person. Even in 2016, Cooper didn't look as happy to be here as he has with Dallas, even during their mediocre season.

At some point you have to stop buying the injury talk or discount it. He was suited up. He said every year for us he was injured. Either he's constantly injured, or soft. Pick one.

I am 100% sure he did not want to be here.  I do not know what happened behind closed doors but if you look at the state of the organization and Oakland itself I would want to go somewhere else.  On top of that the on field interactions between Carr and Cooper makes me think something happened.  Cooper was up in down his entire time here but after that Washington game he disappeared til he was traded.  Something just seems off about the entire situation in Oakland.  After the injury he still went for over 80 yards in 4 of the 8 games.  The NE game Gilmore just shut him down and has done that to a lot of WRs this year.  Also the Cowboys had a 3 score lead on the Rams at the half.  They had 263 rush yards vs 212 passing.  The Lions game Gallup and Cobb where running free so why change if they can not stop it.

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So a guy that basically gets you 1,100+ yards and 8-10+ TD every season isn't a #1? 

a true number 1 is kinda tough to define, so, I am not sure we will come to an agreement. 
but to me a true #1, dictates coverage and can consistently beat double coverage. 

I think Amarii has definitely shown ability to be a true #1, and is def top 10, he is around 6-8 range off top of my head. 
Him and Gallup are an incredible 1-2 combo, Amarii is definitely the better WR, but I dont consider him to be a true #1... at least yet. 

3 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

a true number 1 is kinda tough to define, so, I am not sure we will come to an agreement. 
but to me a true #1, dictates coverage and can consistently beat double coverage. 

I think Amarii has definitely shown ability to be a true #1, and is def top 10, he is around 6-8 range off top of my head. 
Him and Gallup are an incredible 1-2 combo, Amarii is definitely the better WR, but I dont consider him to be a true #1... at least yet. 

I mean all he has done is produce at an elite level for the majority of his career. 

ill add, that when it comes to Amarii, it seems that when teams do not respect him and give him a double, he will eat them alive.
So he should dictate more double coverage than he does. 

but when teams do, Im not convinced he can beat it consistently. 

However, this could also just be that, when teams double him, Dek just throws to Gallup.

I dont watch enough Dallas, but, IMO in their system neither guy is in a true #1 role. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I mean all he has done is produce at an elite level for the majority of his career. 

never double digit Tds, and never cracked 1200 yards, or 100 catches I would hesistate to call that elite. 
because, there are guys who are clearly on the next level (stat wise), so what would you call them?

Edited by BackinBlack

1 minute ago, BackinBlack said:

never double digit Tds, and never cracked 1200 yards, or 100 catches I would hesistate to call that elite. 
because, there are guys who are clearly on the next level (stat wise), so what would you call them?

He's a #1 WR without a doubt. Not elite but he's a borderline elite player who has produced consistently throughout his career. He's not worth a mega contract but he definitely deserves to be paid $15-16M per year this offseason. 

• Like 1

players id put above Amarii,
DeAndre Hopkins
Michael Thomas
Davante Adams
Julio Jones
OBJ (although would never want on my team lol)
AB (not sure if this counts, but hell be back next year)
 Mike Evans

Similar Tier 

Keenan Allen
Tyreek Hill
Adam Theilen
Stefen Diggs
Aj Green (could easily be put above if no injury concern)

I think below, but could maybe see an argument 
TY
JuJu
Godwin
Golladay
Tyler Lockett

-- 
In my opinion the players id put above Amarii, are all true #1s.  
The similar tier are players who IMO have special abilities and traits, but are not the complete package at WR. 

4 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

players id put above Amarii,
DeAndre Hopkins
Michael Thomas
Davante Adams
Julio Jones
OBJ (although would never want on my team lol)
AB (not sure if this counts, but hell be back next year)
 Mike Evans

Similar Tier 

Keenan Allen
Tyreek Hill
Adam Theilen
Stefen Diggs
Aj Green (could easily be put above if no injury concern)

I think below, but could maybe see an argument 
TY
JuJu
Godwin
Golladay
Tyler Lockett

-- 
In my opinion the players id put above Amarii, are all true #1s.  
The similar tier are players who IMO have special abilities and traits, but are not the complete package at WR. 

Don't forget about Courtland Sutton. I'd rather have him at this point than Amari. Guy is an absolute animal. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Don't forget about Courtland Sutton. I'd rather have him at this point than Amari. Guy is an absolute animal. 

yea he is a beast. there are a few other younger players as well that i left off for now because its still wait and see.
but agreed, Courtland Sutton is around the same tier. 

• Like 1