We Have an Oline Problem

MKnight82

Kind of nuts considering the resources they've spent on the Oline the past few years, but our Oline just isn't that good.  I would say they are an average pass blocking team but abysmal at run blocking, which kills playcalling because the defense knows you can't run.  

LT

Trent Williams - I'm going to assume Trent never plays a down for the Redskins again.  

Donald Penn - He's 36 years old and on a 1-year contract.  He's held up OK in pass protection but is getting no push in the running game as far as I can tell.

Geron Christian - He had a chance to grab the starting posiiton and run with it, but we instead signed a 36 year old FA sitting at home with no other prospects.  Looks like Christian is a bust.  

LG 

Ereck Flowers - Its hard to individually grade him at this point.  I haven't noticed him screwing up in pass protection, but again we're getting no push in the running game to that left side.  I would say at this point if he pans out great, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up.  

Wes Martin - He looked solid in his first start for the perpetually injured Scherff.  He's definitely strong so I think he has upside in the running game.  Too soon to tell here.  

OC 

Chase Roullier - I really loved this pick in the draft at the time, and Chase seems decent at calling pass protections at the line and in pass protection himself.  But he's getting no push in the running game at all.  I think we could cover for his weaknesses if we had two dominant Guard surrounding him, but we don't.  

Tony Bergstrom - He's just a guy.  33 year old backup, I wouldn't blink an eye if they cut him tomorrow.  

Ross Pierschbacher - Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he's been active on gameday yet this year.  Disappointing he didn't get a shot this week instead of Bergstrom this week.  Too soon to tell, but probably trending towards career backup.  

RG

Brandon Scherff - After Williams quit on the team he became our supposed best Olineman, but he has really struggled this year.  He was getting embarassed by the Bears defense in that MNF game, and for a former college LT has surprising difficulties in pass protection at times.  I would say he's probably our best run blocking Olineman at this point, but certainly not dominant at it.  IMO he doesn't have a dominant part of his game at all.  Pretty scary with his contract status looming.  

RT 

Morgan Moses - Moses is an average offensive lineman that is better in pass protection than run blocking (a theme for our roster).  He's paid as the 59th highest Olineman in the league, which isn't egregious, and at 28 years old, has 3 years remaining on his contract.  He isn't amazing but honestly we could do worse.  I think he's probably here at least throughout his contract.

So what's the conclusion here?  We basically have nothing at LT.  Our RG will likely want to become the highest paid Guard in history when he doesn't deserve it.  We have an extremely underwhelming Center, and some other Guards that will probably pan out to be backup level players.  That leaves us with an average at best RT as our only set starter for the next few years.  

• Like 1

i think are line is pretty decent. Our run game could be chalked up to just scheme issues. I mean shannahan had a run game with us with BUMS on the O-line like tyler plumbus. yeah we need to get a new LT but i think we got lucky with flowers panning out. I do think the Sheriff is gonna leave though, he's a mcloughin pick and allen is purging them all.

• Like 2

Just now, mar29020 said:

i think are line is pretty decent. Our run game could be chalked up to just scheme issues. I mean shannahan had a run game with us with BUMS on the O-line like tyler plumbus. yeah we need to get a new LT but i think we got lucky with flowers panning out. I do think the Sheriff is gonna leave though, he's a mcloughin pick and allen is purging them all.

Those bums could run block though.  

We do, but we’re going to have to live with it. We need the guys we have to execute better, that's the bottom line.

I can see an upgrade at LT in the offseason either in the draft or free agency but Penn may be back in 2020 if he wants to be, or if Dan does fire Bruce Allen, maybe Trent returns.

• I think Flowers will be re-signed to be our starting LG w/ Martin and a rookie competing too.

• We’re set at center with Roullier and Ross P as his back up for the future.

• RG is a question mark bc Scherff and the team are far apart on a contract. Martin could very well be our starting RG next year, a cheaper FA than Scherff or a rookie. Whatever it is, Martin will be competing with Flowers for the starting job at both guard positions if Scherff is gone.

• I know people don't like to hear it, but Moses isn't going anywhere. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but since this was the first week of the season that Moses wasn't going against a pro bowl or All-Pro caliber player (Brandon Graham, Dexter Lawrence and Khalil Mack) he did play better yesterday.

Did Moses even have a penalty? I don't remember it if he did and did he give up a sack?

Edited by turtle28

30 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

So what's the conclusion here?  We basically have nothing at LT.  Our RG will likely want to become the highest paid Guard in history when he doesn't deserve it.  We have an extremely underwhelming Center, and some other Guards that will probably pan out to be backup level players.  That leaves us with an average at best RT as our only set starter for the next few years.  

EFuG93nWoAA1pAk?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

They get no push, that isn’t scheme

I disagree Knight. Cooley and several others have been calling out the scheme. They’ve basically said it’s sort of all over the place. I’m sure the blocking has some to do with it but the scheme has been criticized heavily. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

I disagree Knight. Cooley and several others have been calling out the scheme. They’ve basically said it’s sort of all over the place. I’m sure the blocking has some to do with it but the scheme has been criticized heavily. 

I'm certainly not an expert, but visually what I'm seeing is the Olineman not pushing the defense back at all and opening any lanes.  I don't understand how that could be scheme.  But its certainly possible there's something else going on that is beyond my understanding of the game.  

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm certainly not an expert, but visually what I'm seeing is the Olineman not pushing the defense back at all and opening any lanes.  I don't understand how that could be scheme.  But its certainly possible there's something else going on that is beyond my understanding of the game.  

I wish I could find the specific Kevin Sheehan podcast where Cooley explains what’s going on so I could link it for you. It was extremely insightful to the running game woes.