We should keep haskins on the bench.

mar29020

If Jay Gruden can't develop an offensive game plan with mostly short/quick passes with a few deep shots a half like the Steelers OC developed for Mason Rudolph last night, Jay deserves to be canned after the game.

They made it easy on Rudolph most of the game, most of his throws we're like handoffs. Then, they ran jet sweeps and wildcat plays to Saunders - their CT type back - to help their running game get going and then when the Bengals defense crept up to stop all the plays the Steelers were using inside of 10 yards,  the Steelers hit a deep shot.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

we need to tank the next two years.

This year get a rush end or star cb and following year trevor lawrence.

Too soon. When Dwayne starts next year, he could be and probably will be one of the main reasons we won't be tanking and picking in the top 10.

20 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Wait where the hell is the evidence of this?!

Takes limited-talent 2nd round pick Andy Dalton and coaches him into immediate Pro Bowler, 4000 yard passer, and eventual ~$100M contract recipient. 

Takes previously awful former 4th round pick Kirk Cousins and coaches him into Pro Bowler, perpetual 4000 yard passer, and largest guaranteed contract in the history of football. 

In addition to those two successes, he’s also somehow coaxed a 93.4 passer rating out of talent-free, career QB3 Colt McCoy in 6 starts. 

Dalton and Cousins are two of the biggest overachieving QB success stories of the last decade. They’re behind only Russell Wilson and perhaps Dak Prescott as the best non-1st round QBs in that span, in an era when QBs who slide in the draft almost never succeed. Who has done more to turn lumps of coal into (something resembling) diamonds since he entered the league?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Takes limited-talent 2nd round pick Andy Dalton and coaches him into immediate Pro Bowler, 4000 yard passer, and eventual ~$100M contract recipient. 

Takes previously awful former 4th round pick Kirk Cousins and coaches him into Pro Bowler, perpetual 4000 yard passer, and largest guaranteed contract in the history of football. 

In addition to those two successes, he’s also somehow coaxed a 93.4 passer rating out of talent-free, career QB3 Colt McCoy in 6 starts. 

Dalton and Cousins are two of the biggest overachieving QB success stories of the last decade. They’re behind only Russell Wilson and perhaps Dak Prescott as the best non-1st round QBs in that span, in an era when QBs who slide in the draft almost never succeed. Who has done more to turn lumps of coal into (something resembling) diamonds since he entered the league?

Heck, even Keenum threw for 380 yards and 3 TDs vs Phila and 221 yds and 2 TDs vs Dallas. Then, the Bears obliterated him! I have no idea what Keenum was thinking on some of those throws which got intercepted that game, he shouldn't even have attempted the throw to Quinn - which he threw high - and Haha took back for a TD.

This is tangentially related, but lol at his top strengths in his NFL Draft Profile:

Strengths
  • Groomed for this moment since he was young
  • Rare passing production
  • Has been mentored by NFL receiver Mohamed Sanu
  • Well-schooled with understanding of how to get himself protected
  • Will bet big to win big
  • Confident to take chances and complete game-changing throws

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dwayne-haskins?id=32194841-5328-5847-4bf1-f4c48a3a3bc6

If one of your top 3 strengths is being mentored by Mohamed Sanu, you should probably have been undrafted.

• Like 2

Kevin Sheehan just brought up the example of how Andy Reid handled McNabb. Mcnabb wasn't ready, said he didn't want to play him all offseason but put him in relief of Reid’s starter Doug Peterson in week 2 vs the great Tampa Bay defense in 99 and McNabb was obliterated and was only 4-12 for 26 yards in the second half of that game.

Kevin said the game is on YouTube if you want to watch it.

McNabb turned out fine. After playing for that year and the next, he turned out to be a franchise QB.

19 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

This is tangentially related, but lol at his top strengths in his NFL Draft Profile:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/dwayne-haskins?id=32194841-5328-5847-4bf1-f4c48a3a3bc6

If one of your top 3 strengths is being mentored by Mohamed Sanu, you should probably have been undrafted.

That makes no sense. Sanu has been an nfl starter for what, a decade? From all accounts he’s a great man. He’d be great to have as a mentor for a young player on how to succeed as a young player in the NFL and as an NfL player in general.

Dwayne also has Shawn Springs as a mentor. You can tell Haskins is a grounded young man. I have no concerns about him in that way, and nobody should.

Edited by turtle28

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Kevin Sheehan just brought up the example of how Andy Reid handled McNabb. Mcnabb wasn't ready, said he didn't want to play him all offseason but put him in relief of Reid’s starter Doug Peterson in week 2 vs the great Tampa Bay defense in 99 and McNabb was obliterated and was only 4-12 for 26 yards in the second half of that game.

McNabb turned out fine. After playing for that year and the next, he turned out to be a franchise QB.

Andy Reid and Jay Gruden are on two different levels when it comes to coaching/preparing a QB IMO. 

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

...and then he didn’t start him until week 10 🤷🏻‍♂️

When you believe someone isn’t ready to play, and then they go out and prove to you that they aren’t ready to play — why would you then force them into the starting role? If McNabb had shown against TB that he was ready to compete at the NFL level, I’m sure Reid would have just left him in as the starter from then on. After all, McNabb was the future of the franchise and Doug Pederson sucked. 

But McNabb showed quite the opposite, and Reid made the choice to protect his asset instead of just throwing him to the wolves and hoping he figured it out.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That makes no sense. Sanu has been an nfl starter for what, a decade? From all accounts he’s a great man. He’d be great to have as a mentor for a young player on how to succeed as a young player in the NFL and as an NfL player in general.

Dwayne also has Shawn Springs as a mentor. You can tell Haskins is a grounded young man. I have no concerns about him in that way, and nobody should.

Well his footwork is shaky,he lacks experience, and will be immobile behind a an offensive line with only one player, but the 3rd string wide receiver for the Atlanta Falcons has been coaching him up so we know he’ll show face at the Redskins harvest festival so 1st round pick is reasonable.

Also it was clearly a joke.

4 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Andy Reid and Jay Gruden are on two different levels when it comes to coaching/preparing a QB IMO. 

No they're not. Gruden isn't Reid, but @e16bball has pointed out, he developed a guy who looked like a career back under the Shanahan’s and in 2014 in Kirk Cousins into arguably a franchise/pro bowl caliber QB who threw for 4,000 yards from 2015 - 2018 (almost 5,000 in 2016) 29, 25, 27 and 30 TDs 4 years in a row.

He turned a Qb in Colt McCoy who is career back up material into a QB who is a 66% passer under him, has 1429 yards, averaged 240 ypg, and 8 TDs in what equates into 6 games of playing time over 5 years of Colt being on our team and Colt has rushed for a few TDs.

Gruden developed Andy Dalton as a 2nd round QB into a good starter who's contract is worth $100 million and Dalton has seemed to regress as a passer since Jay Gruden left Cincinnati to become the Redskins QB in 2014.

Gruden made Josh Johnson look respectable in relief duty the last month of last season.

He had Keenum ready to throw for 380 yards and 3 TDs vs the Eagles in week 1, Keenum has come back to his norm since the 1st half of the Eagles game, but that's who he is.

Now, is Jay a good HC? NO, no he's not, but is he a good passing game coordinator and does he know how to develop QBs? 

I think that's an obvious yes.

51 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Well his footwork is shaky,he lacks experience, and will be immobile behind a an offensive line with only one player, but the 3rd string wide receiver for the Atlanta Falcons has been coaching him up so we know he’ll show face at the Redskins harvest festival so 1st round pick is reasonable.

Also it was clearly a joke.

Wait, which post is a joke? The previous post or this one?  I just can't tell anymore.

I respect you as a poster, you’re one of the best in the forum but we haven't seen that Jeezy in years in here, that's just being honest. You’ve been for over a decade but it's incredibly hard to find out which posts to take serious bc of too much sarcasm - which we can't tell what is and isn't bc they is no LOL or hahaha - I wish you'd post as the honest, analytical Jeezy with a few sarcasm posts thrown in like the rest of us, but that's my decision, it's yours.

I mean, I know this sounds harsh, but lately it's tough to take you seriously as a poster which is an awful feeling for someone like me bc I know you're one of our best.

I agree he is inexperienced and needs work on his footwork, newsflash, so did RG3 and we started him from day 1. 

Immobile? Am I think only one he saw his scramble on the first drive vs the Giants where he almost scrambled for a TD.

Haskins gets better through game reps. Our OL has been decent in pass protection - poor in run blocking - which is a shock to everyone. I'm not worried about Haskins playing behind an average pass blocking OL.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

No they're not. Gruden isn't Reid, but @e16bball has pointed out, he developed a guy who looked like a career back under the Shanahan’s and in 2014 in Kirk Cousins into arguably a franchise/pro bowl caliber QB who threw for 4,000 yards from 2015 - 2018 (almost 5,000 in 2016) 29, 25, 27 and 30 TDs 4 years in a row.

He turned a Qb in Colt McCoy who is career back up material into a QB who is a 66% passer under him, has 1429 yards, averaged 240 ypg, and 8 TDs in what equates into 6 games of playing time over 5 years of Colt being on our team and Colt has rushed for a few TDs.

Gruden developed Andy Dalton as a 2nd round QB into a good starter who's contract is worth $100 million and Dalton has seemed to regress as a passer since Jay Gruden left Cincinnati to become the Redskins QB in 2014.

Gruden made Josh Johnson look respectable in relief duty the last month of last season.

He had Keenum ready to throw for 380 yards and 3 TDs vs the Eagles in week 1, Keenum has come back to his norm since the 1st half of the Eagles game, but that's who he is.

Now, is Jay a good HC? NO, no he's not, but is he a good passing game coordinator and does he know how to develop QBs? 

I think that's an obvious yes.

I agree Jay does know how to develop a QB that fits his systems but no he isn't a good HC/decision maker. That's more so what I meant when I said Gruden isn't Reid.