Game 5: Colts at Arrowhead GDT

onejayhawk

1 hour ago, KCsb said:

When was the last time the Chiefs took an interior offensive lineman in the first 2 rounds of the draft?  Rodney Hudson in the 2nd in 2011, yet we didn't pay him and he went to Oakland where he is a Pro bowler every year.  Even Will Shields was drafted in the 3rd round in 1993.  I'm sure I'm missing some, but my point is that without protection, even Mahomes in vulnerable.  And there is no run game without good front line blocking.  I was amazed watching Quenton Nelson block last night.  Pair him with Anthony Castonzo and you can't miss.  It's time to pony up and draft some offensive line help in the early rounds of the draft.

we have to upgrade at the trade dealine just to save the season imo.

Having just watched this game on a 40 minute rerun on NFL Gamepass, I noted a few things. Running the ball really well and playing good defense isn't pretty, it's beautiful.  I'm not a Colts fan rubbing it in here, I just really like that type of football.

KC has O line problems as noted by KCsb - whilst that can be overcome by Mahomes mobility and amazing throws up to a point, he is starting to get sacked too often, and will get hurt eventually.  Missing his starting wideouts makes a huge difference but the Chiefs need to find out how to win without them, and that means running the ball effectively and their O line deficiencies are not allowing them to do that.

Frank Clark looked frustrated and ineffective last night and he wasn't always double teamed.  Haven't seen him in any of the other KC games this season but am interested to know the thoughts of Chiefs fans about his play so far.  Weirdly enough I thought the Chiefs missed Justin Houston - though they were playing a very good offensive line.

The Chiefs will be so much more effective when they have their offensive starters back but I see little or no improvement in their defense from last season based on last night's play (their front seven got pushed around) - and that does not bode well come playoff time. Your team did not stop the run and was not effective running the ball themselves, leading to short times of possession on drives and a gassed defense.  

I have nothing against the Chiefs (it's obvious which team I follow) but if I were a Chiefs fan I would be concerned.  Good luck with the rest of your season.  Mahomes is a godsend and such fun to watch but he can't do it all on his own.

Honestly the only concern I have from last night is the defense.   I don’t have high hopes for them being dominant, as they don’t have the talent.    
My concern is when a team is consistently doing the same thing over and over and no adjustments are made.   It reminded me of the old Pittsburg games honestly..   we just set back and the OL control what they wanted to do..   that OL is too great to expect our DL to hold up,   Blitzing is not just a passing situation,  send some guys..  even if you aren’t making the tackle you are disrupting and making the RB hesitate.  
We don’t have the talent on D,  but Spags just let the Indy OL do whatever they wanted.  That’s error on both sides imo.

Players should play better, but coaching also has to acknowledge when his players are outmatched and make some adjustments.

Giving up 19 points like that is not a way we’re going to win consistently..  I’ll take giving up a larger gain if it means the offense doesn’t go 8-9 minutes without seeing the field consistently.

Everything aside I’m not too worried,  if the same thing that beats us early in the season is a problem later on,   It’s more than just a talent level issue.

I'd rather see them get burnt on big plays and have Mahomes get the ball back, then get gashed for 5 yards a carry all game. They really need to blitz more, and they desperately need LB help. The inability to make a ******* tackle in the gaps gives me migraines to watch.

17 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

PS: what happened to all the presnap motion? 

I imagine it gets harder as you start rotating guys in and out. Missing two starting WRs and two starting OL is going to impact the timing of some of that motion actually working effectively. Dallas almost lost a fumble on jet sweep action because the timing was wrong.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KCsb said:

When was the last time the Chiefs took an interior offensive lineman in the first 2 rounds of the draft?  Rodney Hudson in the 2nd in 2011, yet we didn't pay him and he went to Oakland where he is a Pro bowler every year.  Even Will Shields was drafted in the 3rd round in 1993.  I'm sure I'm missing some, but my point is that without protection, even Mahomes in vulnerable.  And there is no run game without good front line blocking.  I was amazed watching Quenton Nelson block last night.  Pair him with Anthony Castonzo and you can't miss.  It's time to pony up and draft some offensive line help in the early rounds of the draft.

To be fair, how many IOL is the league really taking in the first 2 rounds year in and year out? Nelson was a pretty rare case where he was an all-time level kind of talent. Most years have maybe one IOL in the first round and that's about it. It's not a position that is often drafted high, so it shouldn't be surprising that we don't often draft them high, either. Like half your all-pros last year on the OL were 3rd - 6th round picks. I want to say the Pats OL has no one drafted higher than low 3rd round and they do well year to year. I do think we need to target IOL in the draft next year, but it's really more of a 3rd round kind of position, just based off of talent available and positional value leaguewide.

And you are missing a couple, for what it's worth. Morse was a 2nd. Jeff Allen was a 2nd.

14 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

To be fair, how many IOL is the league really taking in the first 2 rounds year in and year out? Nelson was a pretty rare case where he was an all-time level kind of talent. Most years have maybe one IOL in the first round and that's about it. It's not a position that is often drafted high, so it shouldn't be surprising that we don't often draft them high, either. Like half your all-pros last year on the OL were 3rd - 6th round picks. I want to say the Pats OL has no one drafted higher than low 3rd round and they do well year to year. I do think we need to target IOL in the draft next year, but it's really more of a 3rd round kind of position, just based off of talent available and positional value leaguewide.

And you are missing a couple, for what it's worth. Morse was a 2nd. Jeff Allen was a 2nd.

There's only one IOL guy next year that's worth a first and I doubt he falls to us, assuming we picks mid to high 20s. Now if we take an OT and convert him, that's another story.

Tbf though,  would it really matter if we addressed IOL in the draft?

2017 -  Kpass and Mahomes are all that’s left 

2018 -  Nnadi is the only one getting PT.  I know some still have hope for Speaks.

2019 -  Way too early,  Hardman and Thornhill looking good.. but as did DOD in limited PT last year.

The drafting has to improve no matter who we draft.... not expecting Pro Bowlers but this is awful drafting..  I take that back if you trade up for a guy,  I do expect near Pro Bowl production out of that guy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Tbf though,  would it really matter if we addressed IOL in the draft?

2017 -  Kpass and Mahomes are all that’s left 

2018 -  Nnadi is the only one getting PT.  I know some still have hope for Speaks.

2019 -  Way too early,  Hardman and Thornhill looking good.. but as did DOD in limited PT last year.

The drafting has to improve no matter who we draft.... not expecting Pro Bowlers but this is awful drafting..  I take that back if you trade up for a guy,  I do expect near Pro Bowl production out of that guy

The thing I’ve hated most about our recent drafting is how much we reach positionally and aren’t going BPA.

5 hours ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

Random reflection from last night, either Mo Claiborne was really good in coverage or Breeland was so bad they didn’t even need to throw at Mo.

I believe Brisset had like 5 yards passing Ave. They didn't even really test the CBs, which is why Breeland getting all those calls against him was REEEEEALLLY maddening.

10 hours ago, uk9erfan said:

Having just watched this game on a 40 minute rerun on NFL Gamepass, I noted a few things. Running the ball really well and playing good defense isn't pretty, it's beautiful.  I'm not a Colts fan rubbing it in here, I just really like that type of football.

KC has O line problems as noted by KCsb - whilst that can be overcome by Mahomes mobility and amazing throws up to a point, he is starting to get sacked too often, and will get hurt eventually.  Missing his starting wideouts makes a huge difference but the Chiefs need to find out how to win without them, and that means running the ball effectively and their O line deficiencies are not allowing them to do that.

Frank Clark looked frustrated and ineffective last night and he wasn't always double teamed.  Haven't seen him in any of the other KC games this season but am interested to know the thoughts of Chiefs fans about his play so far.  Weirdly enough I thought the Chiefs missed Justin Houston - though they were playing a very good offensive line.

The Chiefs will be so much more effective when they have their offensive starters back but I see little or no improvement in their defense from last season based on last night's play (their front seven got pushed around) - and that does not bode well come playoff time. Your team did not stop the run and was not effective running the ball themselves, leading to short times of possession on drives and a gassed defense.  

I have nothing against the Chiefs (it's obvious which team I follow) but if I were a Chiefs fan I would be concerned.  Good luck with the rest of your season.  Mahomes is a godsend and such fun to watch but he can't do it all on his own.

2 offensive line starters out, starting RB out, Starting WR out.  That fixes most issues if healthy.  That being said, our O line needs the most help. Then ILB stop run, CB, and maybe a legit Dlineman that can help in the run game.

• Like 1