Week 5 GDT: Broncos @ Chargers

champ11

Well, we're better off losing as many games as possible long-term - but we didn't want to lose 16, either, so I'll take the W.    Kinda hope Elway still realizes we need to deal CHJ & Sanders (& Wolfe if someone will have him), but shouldn't take away from a strong road W for us.

Game balls to:

1.   Kareem Jackson - not just the 1H stuff, but the mentality.  Sub-200 lb guy who plays like a 225 lb missile.   I wasn't crazy about the signing because it wasn't going to make a difference in our season overall, but I can't knock the player, he's a baller & a leader at safety.

2.  Malik Reed & Mike Purcell - Reed gave a great effort getting on the pass rush outside Von.  We didn't miss a beat for 1 game, and that's a big plus on Reed.  Now, Purcell, on the other hand - he was a much needed disruptive presence on the DL in interior run support.  He really gets Fangio's scheme.  I have no doubt he's probably an average talent - but scheme fit matters a ton. 

3.  Alexander Johnson - he looked like a 2-down run stuffer, but for 1 game, he definitely showed some pass game chops.    Hopefully it sticks, we need it.

4.  Courtland Sutton and the RB's - they are truly our best guys on O.  Not even close.

5.  The run block game - we still have major issues in pass pro - but we have a top 10 run block game.   Zero doubt about that.

We still have major problems (and losing Bausby and Hollins is going to suck bigtime if it's serious, Hollins almost certainly an ACL risk), and anyone thinking we're on a path to contention even in 2020, they're probably dreaming (and no, 2019 is a goner).  We definitely still need to deal CHJ (because he has tremendous value, his work on Allen was terrific), and if the value is there, Sanders (it can't be a giveaway, though).     But again, our best players were our young ones (or guys we can keep for 2020 if they aren't young - Jackson & Purcell), so at least we have legit optimism for 2021+ contention (just get the T's upgraded, a real QB, and some more DL/ILB help, and overall talent).  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Just now, Broncofan said:

Well, we're better off losing as many games as possible long-term - but we didn't want to lose 16, either, so I'll take the W.    Kinda hope Elway still realizes we need to deal CHJ & Sanders (& Wolfe if someone will have him).

Game balls to:

1.   Kareem Jackson - not just the 1H stuff, but the mentality.  Sub-200 lb guy who plays like a 225 lb missile.   I wasn't crazy about the signing because it wasn't going to make a difference in our season overall, but I can't knock the player, he's a baller & a leader at safety.

2.  Malik Reed & Mike Purcell - Reed gave a great effort getting on the pass rush outside Von.  We didn't miss a beat for 1 game, and that's a big plus on Reed.  Now, Purcell, on the other hand - he was a much needed disruptive presence on the DL in interior run support.  He really gets Fangio's scheme.  I have no doubt he's probably an average talent - but scheme fit matters a ton. 

3.  Alexander Johnson - he looked like a 2-down run stuffer, but for 1 game, he definitely showed some pass game chops.    Hopefully it sticks, we need it.

4.  Courtland Sutton and the RB's - they are truly our best guys on O.  Not even close.

5.  The run block game - we still have major issues in pass pro - but we have a top 10 run block game.   Zero doubt about that.

We still have major problems (and losing Bausby and Hollins is going to suck bigtime if it's serious, Hollins almost certainly an ACL risk), and anyone thinking we're on a path to contention even in 2020, they're probably dreaming.  We definitely still need to deal CHJ (because he has tremendous value, his work on Allen was terrific), and if the value is there, Sanders (it can't be a giveaway, though).     But again, our best players were our young ones (or guys we can keep for 2020 if they aren't young - Jackson & Purcell), so at least we have legit optimism for 2021+ contention (just get the T's upgraded, a real QB, and some more DL/ILB help, and overall talent).  

Hopefully Bausby is okay and can comeback, if so.  I think CHJ is expendable, and it's not like CHJ is try very much. 

AJ Johnson got lucky a couple times and he still needs to be viewed as an athletic liability you need to scheme around some. But the guy has a knack for diagnosing and shutting down screen plays, I've seen how quickly he diagnoses them 4 or 5 times now since preseason and it's resulted in a few potential big plays being shut down that I'm not sure anyone else on the roster does. If he never plays a game that great again in the NFL, that's a performance to reflect on for the rest of his life. 

• Like 1

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

AJ Johnson got lucky a couple times and he still needs to be viewed as an athletic liability you need to scheme around some. But the guy has a knack for diagnosing and shutting down screen plays, I've seen how quickly he diagnoses them 4 or 5 times now since preseason

All fair points i like his instincts more than Jewell if I'm calling it fair both have limitations though.

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

AJ Johnson got lucky a couple times and he still needs to be viewed as an athletic liability you need to scheme around some. But the guy has a knack for diagnosing and shutting down screen plays, I've seen how quickly he diagnoses them 4 or 5 times now since preseason and it's resulted in a few potential big plays being shut down that I'm not sure anyone else on the roster does. If he never plays a game that great again in the NFL, that's a performance to reflect on for the rest of his life. 

What does the last sentence mean?  I think the guy has already endured enough in his life. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The guy has played 6 games in like five years. I only expect him to improve and it showed today. The game is slowing down for him as he gets back into it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

The guy has played 6 games in like five years. I only expect him to improve and it showed today. The game is slowing down for him as he gets back into it.

No doubt. He played his *** off and should start going forward. My long term concern is he's not going to get faster. 

• Like 1