Week 5 GDT: Broncos @ Chargers

champ11

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

No doubt. He played his *** off and should start going forward. My long term concern is he's not going to get faster. 

Does he need to be?  He is blowing up screen passes and seemed to be in the right place at the right time and he looked like Trevethan out there, honestly.  

Just now, jsthomp2007 said:

Does he need to be?  He is blowing up screen passes and seemed to be in the right place at the right time and he looked like Trevethan out there, honestly.  

My guess is yeah, they'll need someone who's a better athlete in the future. Right now, he's their best option and he played well today. 

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Off topic...when does MPJ become the Nuggets best player? 

haha...extremely unlikely. Jokic is already a borderline top 5 guy and I think he'll be a HOF and probably get at least one MVP before it's said and done 

Well this sucks - the chances he's going on IR, and likely season-ending, is high.  And this is a type of injury that can be career-threatening, too.

Ultimately, though, at least he's still got all of his neurological function.  For there to be a neck sprain, means it was a very close thing.   The staff did an excellent job with him.  Glad it wasn't a Ryan Shazier type situation, even if it's likely a significant injury for us.

• Like 1

It's great to get a win. This team might not be going anywhere, but we needed to stop the rot. 

The fact we are 0-4 clearly factored into our Offensive gameplan in the 2nd half. There's no way we can afford to be that conservative against a team that isn't depleted by injuries, because we really struggled to move the ball sans one drive. The first half was excellent from both an execution and playcalling perspective on Offense. Coach Rich has been getting better each week, so credit to him.

Everyone has talked about the standout names on Offense, and I agree with all of them. 

On Defense, I really want to see how we played Keenan Allen, because he normally absolutely terrorises us. Great job by the DL holding the LOS. I saw Harris playing a lot more DE with Purcell at NT which seemed to work. Gotsis being a healthy scratch is a definite message to him. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Nice to finally win a game. Could actually see another win coming next week at home against Tennessee.

Didn't get a chance to watch since I was at a Sunday wedding but I celebrated accordingly. 

I had the mindset a split with the Chargers was a good possibility. Idk if it was @champ11s podcast that planted that seed or what, but we always seem to at least split with the chargers it seems.

Tennessee is going to be a nice challenge. It's winnable for sure, but stopping Fournette for 4 quarters was an issue. I know I sound like a broken record but Stopping Derrick Henry is the key to the game. If you contain him you have a chance. Purcell, AJ Johnson, and Shelby Harris at de are going to be huge factors. 

Edited by thebestever6
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

You have to say that - despite the clear deficiencies - the team took another step forward last night. Over the five games there has been a clear and consistent improvement. Credit for that has to go to the coaching staff and that makes me optimistic for the future.

Our talent pool is a clear problem.  And the scheme fit with our vets on the front 7 is non existent.  That and our pass pro issues on OL and unresolved QBOTF situation are why even 2020 contention is a pipe dream.  

But I agree nothing this year outside of in-game management (which takes time) raises any flags with the coaching staff.   They have the guys ready to play and staying close.  Given how poor of a team talent wise we are that’s a feather in the coaching staff’s direction.   As long as OC Scangarelli adopts more verticality into our game as our OL / QB play improves it seems like the coaching staff has staying power.  Their pre-game prep alone seems miles ahead of last year’s staff. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Watched the all 22 up until the Sutton touchdown. Some thing so far:

- 3rd down D has seen us send a 3 man pass rush. Miller, Jones and Reed each time (think Hollins was in for Reed once). Not much of a pass rush so far
- Base D is Harris and Wolfe at DE. Purcell on the Nose
- Purcell had a very nice snap where he didn't budge an inch on a double team, and when the Guard went to the next level Purcell bumped his man into the RB for no gain
- Wolfe holding up well in the run game. Harris had a bad snap where he left his gap, but Johnson filled and Purcell made a nice ankle tap stop (not something you see from a NT every game)
- Love what I have seen from Risner. Smart, athletic and nasty too. Lovely job by him and Bolles passing off the stunt on the TD throw to Sutton
- Leary struggling a tad in the run game. Struggles flipping his hips to get play side of a zone run to his side, if the DT is aligned to the run side of the play
- Lindsay's jump cut for the TD was beautiful, but not as beautiful as Heuerman's down block on the OLB. Mauled him to create the hole.
- Speaking of the TD run; I love the play design. 3 TE's the right, with the OL flowing left. Run is designed to the left, but the cut back is there as you have favourable blocking matchups for two of the TE's against DBs

• Like 2

Watched a bit more. Some more notes:

- Genuinely don't know the last time I saw a DB for the Broncos that plays the run as aggressive as Kareem Jackson (13.53 left in the 2nd Q is my fav so far - comes from 15 yards deep to stuff a run for no gain)
- Keenan Allen is so lazy with his routes when the play is designed away from him. Only a Quarter in and I could show you two ridiculous examples of this (one being the Rivers INT)
- Pretty interesting that on the Rivers INT, it was 2nd and 5 yet we felt comfortable going with a DL of Hollins, Jones, Walker and Von in our Nickel
- Wilkinson struggled with same thing I explained in my earlier post re: Leary - DE aligned with a shade to the run side of the play. It's a tough assignment for an OL where you have to flip your hips to get  your butt facing the run side of the play, thus screening off your man from making the play. Got called for a hold
- Felt a bit bad for Bolles on the fumble Flacco gave up. I think Joe had plenty of room to step up into, and Bolles' man ran a really wide arc. I put it on Joe more than Bolles
- Fant had smoked his man with a double move on the fumble play, too
- Good teams are going to pick on Johnson with their RB in the passing game. Blew an assignment early in the 2nd Quarter and he doesn't have the speed either way
- First Shelby Harris flash of the game, shoving the Center back into Rivers' lap (12.40 left in Q2)
- Really nice job Jones to swat the arms of the LG to force a pressure on Rivers on 3rd down; he's seeing a lot more snaps with us having a 14-0 lead. Purcell seeing much less time as a result
- Trey Marshall playing a fair bit in sub packages. Actually ahead of Will Parks at times

• Like 2