ALCS: Yankees vs Astros

Leader

To everyone talking about the Yankees struggles with runners on base, they can go ahead and stop that right now.  The Astros have both had more opportunities, and more men left on base in both Games 2 and 3.  If anything, the Astros have left more opportunities out there.

The big hit has evaded the Astros all postseason thus far and if I were a betting man I would say it is only a matter of time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Saying the series is over is crazy. While things haven’t gone the Yankees way the last two games to turn on them that quickly isn’t something i am going to do. They have been resilient all season long. We lost a game in Houston in extras and a game to the hottest pitcher in a loonnnngg time. We have owned Grienke, JV has been rocked by the Rays, and there’s a potential bullpen game as well which we’d be favored for. Not giving up. 

Chances they win 3 of the next 4 when 3 of those games are started by JV, Cole, Greinke and 2 of the 4 are in Houston seem pretty low to me.

The Astros are a clear cut better team... we knew that going in... Yankees best chance to win was to eek out a game or two early on that they shouldn't have won on paper.  They had opportunities and they blew it. 

Houston have to be heavy favorites at this point

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

Chances they win 3 of the next 4 when 3 of those games are started by JV, Cole, Greinke and 2 of the 4 are in Houston seem pretty low to me. The Astros are a clear cut better team... we knew that going in... Yankees best chance to win was to eek out a game or two early on that they shouldn't have won on paper.  They had opportunities and they blew it. Houston have to be heavy favorites at this point

You play them one at at time and each game other than the first has been nip and tuck / could go either way with a clutch hit (or pitch) here or there.

2 hours ago, CAS22 said:

To everyone talking about the Yankees struggles with runners on base, they can go ahead and stop that right now.  The Astros have both had more opportunities, and more men left on base in both Games 2 and 3.  If anything, the Astros have left more opportunities out there. The big hit has evaded the Astros all postseason thus far and if I were a betting man I would say it is only a matter of time.

?  It's not a matter of "my team's left more RISP than yours" :) I'm one of those talking - as I'm sure you would be if you'd lost two very winnable games after HOU had failed (as you mention above) to get a simple hit in the clutch. Unlike NYY, HOU has come thru just enough to win these games. Its really nothing more than that. The NYY simply have to hit better.

4 hours ago, mission27 said:

Chances they win 3 of the next 4 when 3 of those games are started by JV, Cole, Greinke and 2 of the 4 are in Houston seem pretty low to me.

The Astros are a clear cut better team... we knew that going in... Yankees best chance to win was to eek out a game or two early on that they shouldn't have won on paper.  They had opportunities and they blew it. 

Houston have to be heavy favorites at this point

Definitely the favorites, but we were the favorite in 2017 up 3-2 with all of the momentum in the world.

6 hours ago, Leader said:

?  It's not a matter of "my team's left more RISP than yours" :) I'm one of those talking - as I'm sure you would be if you'd lost two very winnable games after HOU had failed (as you mention above) to get a simple hit in the clutch. Unlike NYY, HOU has come thru just enough to win these games. Its really nothing more than that. The NYY simply have to hit better.

Just wanted to emphasize that the Astros have thoroughly controlled the last two games and are the team who has missed out on more opportunities.  They are 1-19 with RISP this series and are somehow up 2-1.   It's been this way all postseason, bats just haven't produced at all in big moments and it is incredibly frustrating to watch.

30 minutes ago, CAS22 said:

Just wanted to emphasize that the Astros have thoroughly controlled the last two games and are the team who has missed out on more opportunities.  They are 1-19 with RISP this series and are somehow up 2-1.   It's been this way all postseason, bats just haven't produced at all in big moments and it is incredibly frustrating to watch.

Yes

HOU is 1 for 19 w/RISP for the first three games: 0 -1 / 1-10 / 0-8
NYY is 4 for 20 overall: 3-11 / 1-3 / 0-6

Outcomes: 7-0 NYY / 3-2 & 4-1 HOU.

A hit here or there could have changed outcomes considerably for both teams which disputes the "thoroughly controlled" concept.

Yes

It's been incredibly frustrating to watch for both teams - which is what I've been expressing. 

18 hours ago, mission27 said:

I do think MLB deadened the ball for the playoffs, which is BS

Yankees built their entire roster on getting guys who can hit a bunch of long fly balls and winning games 9-8.  Its ****ed up to change the rules of the game right before the playoffs start and that's 100% what MLB has done here

You can't say "you think" something was done, then complain about what "you think" happened. Unless you have evidence MLB is "deadening" the ball then this is tin foil hat stuff. I am sure if Houston can win this series, it won't be because they are a really great team, who may actually be better than NY. Nah, couldn't be that. 

Edited by kwolf68

Think we lose the Tanaka vs Greinke rematch tomorrow, Tanaka's just been dominant. Greinke will have to really turn it on for us to win that (which is a possibility for sure). 

The delay helps and hurts both teams. Getting the bullpen game in Houston instead of New York by throwing Verlander is good for us. Them getting to throw out Tanaka earlier is good for them. 

46 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

Think we lose the Tanaka vs Greinke rematch tomorrow, Tanaka's just been dominant. Greinke will have to really turn it on for us to win that (which is a possibility for sure). 

The delay helps and hurts both teams. Getting the bullpen game in Houston instead of New York by throwing Verlander is good for us. Them getting to throw out Tanaka earlier is good for them. 

As a Yankee fan I’d rather the bullpen game in Houston tbh i feel like a bullpen game should favor us either way so having a game i think we could win in Houston is nice. What hurts us however is how reliant we are on our own and having 4 games in 4 days which favors you guys. Will be interesting for sure. The man with the most pressure IMO is James Paxton. He’s the reason we lost game 2 i think, and he needs a strong performance to redeem himself. 

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff said:

Interesting question, if the Yankees win the next 2 games do the Astros start Cole on 3 days rest in game 6, or so they go for a bullpen game and save Cole for a potential game 7? I would think they would go with Cole in a win or go home situation.

The NYY's will win the next two games and Cole will be too frightened to pitch game 6 :)

2 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

I don't understand why so many think it's a foregone conclusion that NYY will roll tomorrow night.  Playoff sample sizes are dumb, as we've seen the two best offenses in the league struggle this series.  If the Astros get to Tanaka early tomorrow it will put Boone in a real bind.