Week 6 GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

Maybe. We've never really seen Kittle in many jump ball situations so I couldn't say whether him attacking the ball in the air would result in a TD, INT, or incompletion by virtue of Peters not having an uncontested jump at the ball. It was definitely a great read by Peters, no doubt, but definitely helped by Kittle getting no opportunity to make a play himself. 

Well, I think if you want to blame Jimmy G for something, it would be ball placement on that route. You have to put the ball in the corner of the end zone where either Kittle catches it or it falls incomplete. I think where the ball was thrown, Peters has a shot regardless if Kittle isn't held. I mean Kittle may break the ball up unlike Deebo, but the ball placement was poor on that play. Jimmy G hesitated as Kittle was being held and that threw the entire play off and he didn't hold Peters off to get Kittle isolated.

Looking back at the game, Shanny definitely targeted the Rams LBs with his play calls. Was very smart and we probably could have done it to even a larger extent. The Rams LBs were being had in coverage and just didn't have the speed to keep up with Kittle or our RBs. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lol maximum snaps 53

I like the snap counts here. As it should be. Ford should be getting majority of the snaps on nickel downs. Our run defense is so much better with Armstead at the end and Jones inside in base. Ford is a force rushing the passer so keep him where he is strong and not a liability.

Thomas getting 25 snaps was also big. He's also a very stout run defender on the outside and best rushing the passer from the inside.

Day is pretty much passed over by Thomas now and barely gets any snaps. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

100% on this. You can't miss that pass at that location. You have to miss it long and out of bounds

Yep, LIS everything was thrown off when Kittle was being held but that's why there he needs to just eat it. If the ref is going to call a hold, he will regardless if the ball is thrown out of bounds or not. Deebo though needs to score on the play prior. He can't let a corner take him down that easily one on one. Some compared his ability after the catch to TO, but there is damn near ZERO percent chance the corner is bringing TO down there before he gets to the end zone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, I think if you want to blame Jimmy G for something, it would be ball placement on that route. You have to put the ball in the corner of the end zone where either Kittle catches it or it falls incomplete. I think where the ball was thrown, Peters has a shot regardless if Kittle isn't held. I mean Kittle may break the ball up unlike Deebo, but the ball placement was poor on that play. Jimmy G hesitated as Kittle was being held and that threw the entire play off and he didn't hold Peters off to get Kittle isolated.

Oh yeah- agree with all of this. Jimmy definitely could have put a number of balls in better locations. Even though I don't blame him so much for this one or the drops by Goodwin and Coleman, it's still definitely fair to note that each of those three could have been better placed. And I also agree with @John232 that not every throw is going to be perfect and sometimes the guys on the other end need to make those plays.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

He was our best OL yesterday by far. Also had the easiest match up but give him props for holding up.

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

Oh yeah- agree with all of this. Jimmy definitely could have put a number of balls in better locations. Even though I don't blame him so much for this one or the drops by Goodwin and Coleman, it's still definitely fair to note that each of those three could have been better placed. And I also agree with @John232 that not every throw is going to be perfect and sometimes the guys on the other end need to make those plays.

Definitely. The other two passes should have been caught. Jimmy G for the most part was very accurate yesterday. Gave his guys chances to make plays after the catch. He's going to continue getting better and better in that department. I always said after half way through the season, he will really take off like Watson did last year.

But the INT was just bad all around. Oh well, at least it didn't come back to hurt us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Don't get me wrong, I think that this is obviously fantastic...but I think a lot of this is falling on Shanny. He knows what he's doing in order to mitigate the fact that we have Skule and Brunskill playing. I thought Brunskill was fine. There were definitely some times where nearly the entire pocket pretty much collapsed (honestly have no idea how they judge that lol). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Don't get me wrong, I think that this is obviously fantastic...but I think a lot of this is falling on Shanny. He knows what he's doing in order to mitigate the fact that we have Skule and Brunskill playing. I thought Brunskill was fine. There were definitely some times where nearly the entire pocket pretty much collapsed (honestly have no idea how they judge that lol). 

That said, how key was this? This was the biggest game in the stretch where he might need to start, and regardless of gameplan, luck, or whatever- we're 5-0 and our QB didn't get beat up. Staley did light conditioning work during the game and might return as early as the Panthers game. There should be no reason Washington gives us more trouble than the Rams in this regard, so that is still huge.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

That said, how key was this? This was the biggest game in the stretch where he might need to start, and regardless of gameplan, luck, or whatever- we're 5-0 and our QB didn't get beat up. Staley did light conditioning work during the game and might return as early as the Panthers game. There should be no reason Washington gives us more trouble than the Rams in this regard, so that is still huge.

The Panthers pass rush is FEROCIOUS are possibly the second best we face all season behind the Steelers. Staley will definitely be needed in that game or else it could be a LONG day for Jimmy G.

One good thing about Jimmy G is that he is able to overcome a collapsed pocket as he stays composed and fires darts. Even the big gain to Kittle, if you notice, he had a defender right at his lap and still stood in and fired an accurate ball. I actually worry when he has too much time as he is prone to taking some risks that end up being INTs. 

7 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Absolutely agree. I have no concerns with Washington in that regard. 

Clearly, we can do at least some work with this patchwork line. I do look forward to having everyone back though, because I do think it's clear that we had to alter the offensive philosophy, which does make us an incomplete offense right now. I'd be very curious what our traditional PA percentage was yesterday, I feel like it has to be way under what we would typically see. 

Yeah, I have a feeling now that Shanahan has the personnel to really put it on the Redskins, he will try to run up the score. Last meeting we were over matched and still put up a decent showing but this Sunday he will have something nice planned for the Redskins. 

Over/under 38 points we score?