Roster Review: Potential picks/trades/FA

sryan66611

1 minute ago, Caaddy24 said:

If he's still playing good, yeah sign him for cheap I guess. If he's an upgrade over Dotson. I'll tell you what though. Donovan Smith I think is being undervalued. I think he did a good job last year. And he's still young with room to improve. Unless I'm missing things everyone else has seen. 

Last year was his best, I believe. Brady should help his numbers quite a bit this year.

• Like 1

Donovan was good in pass protection last year, but Peters is still an upgrade. He's consistently been a top 5 LT since he came into the league. Even with the injuries, when he's on the field his play is borderline elite...

Signing him could be an upgrade to two OT spots in theory, as you could plug him into LT and slide Donovan into RT and now you've upgraded both spots with one sign. Or even if you kept Donovan at LT,  Peters has the ability to thrive as a RT as well...

Hell, I'll even take it one step further. If we signed Peter's, it shouldn't preclude us from one of the OTs at #14. You could plug one of those guys into the RG spot for a year and really have something special. Imagine...

Jason Peters, Ali Marpet, Ryan Jensen, Andrew Thomas, Donovan Smith

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Donovan was good in pass protection last year, but Peters is still an upgrade. He's consistently been a top 5 LT since he came into the league. Even with the injuries, when he's on the field his play is borderline elite...

Signing him could be an upgrade to two OT spots in theory, as you could plug him into LT and slide Donovan into RT and now you've upgraded both spots with one sign. Or even if you kept Donovan at LT,  Peters has the ability to thrive as a RT as well...

Hell, I'll even take it one step further. If we signed Peter's, it shouldn't preclude us from one of the OTs at #14. You could plug one of those guys into the RG spot for a year and really have something special. Imagine...

Jason Peters, Ali Marpet, Ryan Jensen, Andrew Thomas, Donovan Smith

Would be a dominant OL not going to lie...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Caaddy24 said:

There's also Trent Williams looking for a trade. I'm not sure on what compensation he would command. 

Gonna cost at least a 2nd round pick and then you're gonna have to give him a new deal. He's already made it known he wants to be paid top 3 money...

He's a legit LT, but he's gonna 32 and has an injury history himself. I'd be weary of giving him a 3-5 year commitment, which is what he wants...

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

Brady hasn't missed a game since '08.

Yeah, and we all hope physically he just doesn t fall off the cliff.  However, it is not out of the relm of possibiliities.  Favre descent into retirement for Minny was rapid. 

Certainly, not wanting something to happen. However, the contingency plan being Gabbert without drafting a Qb before day 3 is borderline irresponsible.

3 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Yeah, and we all hope physically he just doesn t fall off the cliff.  However, it is not out of the relm of possibiliities.  Favre descent into retirement for Minny was rapid. 

Certainly, not wanting something to happen. However, the contingency plan being Gabbert without drafting a Qb before day 3 is borderline irresponsible.

I mean. Who isn't screwed if their starting QB goes down?

There's a famous quote (I can't remember who said it) but a coach was asked why his backup QB didn't get more reps in practice. His response?

"We're ****ed if [QB] goes down. We don't practice ****ed."

Or something along those lines.

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

I mean. Who isn't screwed if their starting QB goes down?

There's a famous quote (I can't remember who said it) but a coach was asked why his backup QB didn't get more reps in practice. His response?

"We're ****ed if [QB] goes down. We don't practice ****ed."

Or something along those lines.

The quote was from Tom Moore in Indy.  Payton played till around 38, I believe.  This is an extra ordinary situation.  

Brady is in terrific shape.  Another famous quote from Bill Walsh " I would rather cut a player a year early, then a year too late".  Did Hoodie just do this?  I hope he didnt because we ll be the ones f#$cked.  Personally, not a bad thing to implement the Mike Holmgren theory and draft a Qb every yr in this situation.  And this is when he had Favre in Green Bay.

• Like 1

Just now, ravishingone said:

The quote was from Tom Moore in Indy.  Payton played till around 38, I believe.  This is an extra ordinary situation.  

Brady is in terrific shape.  Another famous quote from Bill Walsh " I would rather cut a player a year early, then a year too late".  Did Hoodie just do this?  I hope he didnt because we ll be the ones f#$cked.  Personally, not a bad thing to implement the Mike Holmgren theory and draft a Qb every yr in this situation.  And this is when he had Favre in Green Bay.

BA seems like the kind of coach to go all in on Brady. And I'm here for the ride.

I'll take another run at a Super Bowl or two followed by a decade of mediocrity. It's exactly what we did when we traded for Gruden.

• Like 1

The only reason why I don't want to draft a QB early is the chance Brady doesn't like it. From reading all the reports on how the breakup went down with NE, he's getting a tad sensitive as he ages. He already had to deal with the Garapollo thing. Which, maybe drove him even more I don't know, but I don't want to do anything that might negatively impact his psyche! I think he even plans on playing more than 2 years. Maybe he won't, but I think that's what's on his mind right now. Plus, I say just go all in this year and next year with other pieces. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Caaddy24 said:

The only reason why I don't want to draft a QB early is the chance Brady doesn't like it. From reading all the reports on how the breakup went down with NE, he's getting a tad sensitive as he ages. He already had to deal with the Garapollo thing. Which, maybe drove him even more I don't know, but I don't want to do anything that might negatively impact his psyche! I think he even plans on playing more than 2 years. Maybe he won't, but I think that's what's on his mind right now. Plus, I say just go all in this year and next year with other pieces. 

If I remember correctly, he said he wants to play until at least 45. So there's a chance we get three years from him, as long as he can still play.

He's still in excellent shape. All depends on his arm.

25 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

If I remember correctly, he said he wants to play until at least 45. So there's a chance we get three years from him, as long as he can still play.

He's still in excellent shape. All depends on his arm.

Yeah, so, I say give at least this year completely to him. 

• Like 1