Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We just did a complete overhaul. 

Yeah I think the only way I’ll be disappointed is if our offense looks Chryst-like the rest of the year, Leonhard gets the job and keeps the offensive staff the same. I’d like to see an offense that doesn’t rely on having the best line in the conference to have any chance at success.

3 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

Yeah I think the only way I’ll be disappointed is if our offense looks Chryst-like the rest of the year, Leonhard gets the job and keeps the offensive staff the same. I’d like to see an offense that doesn’t rely on having the best line in the conference to have any chance at success.

I don't think it is very realistic to change the offense that much mid season.  Playcalling certainly can be different.  Maybe a few new concepts can be added in, but the basics of the offensive scheme are very likely to remain the same.  

The reality might be that the OL is not as talented as UW has had over the last 20+ years.  I don't think the passing game weapons strike a lot of fear into most defenses, so the defense is going to stack the box and play aggressive run D on the way to the QB as Mertz has shown he will make some bad throws/decisions when pressured.

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I don't think it is very realistic to change the offense that much mid season.  Playcalling certainly can be different.  Maybe a few new concepts can be added in, but the basics of the offensive scheme are very likely to remain the same.  

The reality might be that the OL is not as talented as UW has had over the last 20+ years.  I don't think the passing game weapons strike a lot of fear into most defenses, so the defense is going to stack the box and play aggressive run D on the way to the QB as Mertz has shown he will make some bad throws/decisions when pressured.

The OL is banged up, when fully healthy, it's a pretty decent group. Engram has already incorporated more RPO game as well as more pre-snap motion. Perhaps the greatest difference is his trust in Mertz, something Chryst never had. 

The Ravens tree is something I was excited we tapped into, I'm looking forward to seeing Engram get the rest of the season. Right now I've enjoyed the changes our offense has showed.

You know how embarrassing it is that Illinois is doing what we're supposed to be doing? They're 6-1 and just have to outlast ******* Purdue to make it to Indy. Meanwhile, we're occupying the cellar of the B1G West or damn near it. The stink of Paul Chryst is everywhere right now. He got complacent so the entire program did. This program will go nowhere if we retain anyone from his staff sans Leonhard. This university is a volleyball school now.

2 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

If missing out on a lowest tier bowl game shakes the program from its stupor I’m all for it.

The program has already been shaken up, we all said a few weeks ago that there's absolutely no way Chryst is let go after receiving that extension, not only did we do it, but we did it 4 games into the season. 

Leonhard has been someone I've wanted to promote for a long time, truly believe the Packers would be a totally different group with him right now. As a college coach, why wouldn't you want to play for him? He's not a simple rah rah program builder, he knows his **** about defensive football, he's young and he developed himself into an elite college player and then a solid pro. 

Engram comes from the NFL tree that's probably the best in the league at adapting a system around the talent on the roster. He's less than half a season in and obviously can only have a very small finger print on the offense at this moment. The last two games have been leagues better as far as playing a more modern brand. Our QB gifted them 7 points and then our RB fumbled the game away, not much you can do about that.

Don't fall into the sky is falling crowd. The culture from a team comes from it's HC. You don't need to fire everyone on the staff to build something new.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, packerstk7 said:

I think his point is that all things considered we can’t recruit the same level of talent due to the academic standards. We will never be able to compete with OSU/UM in terms of raw talent. That hasn’t stopped us from competing with them on the field in past years, though.

Thank you for expressing this better than this old lady did.  😁

16 hours ago, squire12 said:

Didn't we have a lot of backup OL in there along with fellas out of position yesterday?