Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

Yes, let's keep around the coaches that haven't developed the players and instilled the culture that put is where we are. Let's scapegoat the players and put the blame solely on them. Sounds reasonable. 

If we want to keep around certain coaches, fine. If we retain the entire ******* staff and just add someone to replace Jim in the assistant group, nothing is going to change. Hearing a different message from the same dudes that were voicing the prior **** isn't going to do a damn thing to change the culture. Nowhere in the world does that work in any venture lol. 

Blaming the loss on two distinct plays and not the entire game flow is something that coaches who suck do. Michigan State got boat raced by ******* Minnesota ffs. If this staff was worth their salt, this game doesn't come down to a few plays. 

I'll give them the season but lol if you think keeping the staff around is going to lead to any substantial change. They just spent years parroting the dopey moron but sure the next message they sell will totally work!

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

The program has already been shaken up, we all said a few weeks ago that there's absolutely no way Chryst is let go after receiving that extension, not only did we do it, but we did it 4 games into the season. 

Leonhard has been someone I've wanted to promote for a long time, truly believe the Packers would be a totally different group with him right now. As a college coach, why wouldn't you want to play for him? He's not a simple rah rah program builder, he knows his **** about defensive football, he's young and he developed himself into an elite college player and then a solid pro. 

Engram comes from the NFL tree that's probably the best in the league at adapting a system around the talent on the roster. He's less than half a season in and obviously can only have a very small finger print on the offense at this moment. The last two games have been leagues better as far as playing a more modern brand. Our QB gifted them 7 points and then our RB fumbled the game away, not much you can do about that.

Don't fall into the sky is falling crowd. The culture from a team comes from it's HC. You don't need to fire everyone on the staff to build something new.

I’m fine with giving him time. I’ve said to my friends for a year I’d fire Chryst, promote Leonhard and let him pick his offensive staff. College is different in that it takes how long to see any dividends from your recruiting efforts? That’s easily just as important for college coaches as they’re essentially GM as well. I just don’t know what we expected to see from an interim coach mid season. I’d guess like you said that you can’t really install a new offense mid season. I don’t know anything about Engram as far as philosophy.

On 10/15/2022 at 7:39 PM, packerstk7 said:
On 10/15/2022 at 7:35 PM, Duluther said:

We never should have fired Chryst. What a dumpster fire. The OT tag is going to make this look closer than it was… should have lost on the go ahead FG. 

So getting dominated at home by Illinois is better than this?

@naptownskinsfan - can you please address this by creating a Minnesota thread and redirecting them there?

I get that because we're friendly and know how to take a joke from OSU people, that it can make it difficult to know when to step in. But this has been going on for years where Minnesota fan posters, who don't even have their own thread or literally anything , come in here to troll.

It's so low effort and sad we let it go, but newer people aren't going to. I'd rather nip it in the bud before we let the douchebag Minnesota fans start letting this gain steam again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@naptownskinsfan - can you please address this by creating a Minnesota thread and redirecting them there?

I get that because we're friendly and know how to take a joke from OSU people, that it can make it difficult to know when to step in. But this has been going on for years where Minnesota fan posters, who don't even have their own thread or literally anything , come in here to troll.

It's so low effort and sad we let it go, but newer people aren't going to. I'd rather nip it in the bud before we let the douchebag Minnesota fans start letting this gain steam again.

I feel like I’m partially responsible here for allowing @malibuspeedrace to row wild and unchecked for 3+ years now

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I feel like I’m partially responsible here for allowing @malibuspeedrace to row wild and unchecked for 3+ years now

Nah you guys are fine, I'm happy to say Wisconsin fans own some of it by being easy going, but it's not that hard to know the difference between people who are having fun with a joke and people who are trolling. For one, you have a football team that you actually follow. Most of the Minnesota posters I'm talking about only post in this thread.

(I realize this opens up 80,000 "you mad" comments, but the band aid has to get ripped off eventually. If we wait until the Minnesota game, it's just going to get worse.)

• Like 2

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Nah you guys are fine, I'm happy to say Wisconsin fans own some of it by being easy going, but it's not that hard to know the difference between people who are having fun with a joke and people who are trolling. For one, you have a football team that you actually follow. Most of the Minnesota posters I'm talking about only post in this thread.

(I realize this opens up 80,000 "you mad" comments, but the band aid has to get ripped off eventually. If we wait until the Minnesota game, it's just going to get worse.)

Oh no you’re 💯 right. Tbh we need a hybrid A&M and Minnesota thread for cannibalism purposes. Clemson can also join or merge with Notre Dame. 

56 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Sorry I have autism. I won't post in this thread again.

On 10/16/2022 at 11:56 AM, beekay414 said:

Yes, let's keep around the coaches that haven't developed the players and instilled the culture that put is where we are. Let's scapegoat the players and put the blame solely on them. Sounds reasonable. 

If we want to keep around certain coaches, fine. If we retain the entire ******* staff and just add someone to replace Jim in the assistant group, nothing is going to change. Hearing a different message from the same dudes that were voicing the prior **** isn't going to do a damn thing to change the culture. Nowhere in the world does that work in any venture lol. 

Can you even point out what about the Badgers culture is wrong? 

The entirety of the issues with this team is that you had a HC slowly lose fire for the game. Started with his playcalling and game prep and trickled into recruiting recently.

You can't be a successful program when you're ridiculously conservative and predictable on offense, but they've always played hard and they've stuck together. There is no culture problem, the program just needed a spark.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Can you even point out what about the Badgers culture is wrong? 

The entirety of the issues with this team is that you had a HC slowly lose fire for the game. Started with his playcalling and game prep and trickled into recruiting recently.

You can't be a successful program when you're ridiculously conservative and predictable on offense, but they've always played hard and they've stuck together. There is no culture problem, the program just needed a spark.

No accountability. Same guys play no matter how piss poor they do. All starts up front with the OL. DBs are ******* sieves vs any passing game with a heartbeat. Guys coaching positions they have no business coaching. 

It's all wrong from the ******* top down. That's all there is to it. It's a culture of complacency and talk. Nothing more. They need new voices in the room, not the same turds preaching the same **** PC preached. If we come back with the same staff next year, only replacing Leonhard as assistant, we're going to have the exact same issues. 

I was right, for years, about Chryst. His stink is still going to be all over this program if we keep his staff around. It's a half assed attempt at a fix of a problem that's rooted further than you're pretending it is. 

10 hours ago, beekay414 said:

No accountability

Not a culture thing. Accountability comes from management directly, in this case, only the head coach.

Lack of ownership is a culture thing, but I'm not aware of players shirking their mistakes. Instead, I see a lot of examples of the opposite.

Same guys play no matter how piss poor they do.

Not a culture thing, and especially not accurate considering our starting LT, RS JR 5* recruit got benched, couldn't take it, and then got kicked when he threw a temper tantrum.

All starts up front with the OL. DBs are ******* sieves vs any passing game with a heartbeat.

This is results, not culture.

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Guys coaching positions they have no business coaching. 

Okay, so this is an actual criticism of the coaching staff, but it's only structure. The remedy for someone coaching the wrong area is to reorganize the coaching staff, not fire everyone.

It's all wrong from the ******* top down. That's all there is to it. It's a culture of complacency and talk. Nothing more.

This is so vague you could write this about any struggling business.

They need new voices in the room, not the same turds preaching the same **** PC preached. If we come back with the same staff next year, only replacing Leonhard as assistant, we're going to have the exact same issues. 

This attitude of "throw everything out and start over" is how Nebraska got to where they are. It's an endless cycle of results-based criticisms, a total clear out of staff leading to loss of institutional knowledge, a hiring cycle where the new head coach is expected to bring every solution to every single problem like a Messiah instead of being integrated into an existing, successful program, followed by failure since the expectations are impossible, more clearout, and the cycle repeats.

Fundamentally, it's reactive and lazy.

It's way easier to say to a new coach 'we suck, you do it' rather than go through and identify the things that work and the things that don't. But you are throwing away valuable institutional knowledge (which is what 'culture' really is).

I was right, for years, about Chryst

Nah, I'll go full math teacher and say no partial credit for getting the answer right when all your work was wrong.

You're welcome to post a quote saying "I don't think Chryst loves football" from 2018 or whatever, and if you have that, I'll raise my hand and say you were right.

But you criticized Chryst for every other reason in existence except his love of football. Eventually, the results got bad and he got fired, but that's you pretending the reasons were identical when they weren't.

• Like 2

No accountability. Same guys play no matter how piss poor they do. All starts up front with the OL. DBs are ******* sieves vs any passing game with a heartbeat. Guys coaching positions they have no business coaching. 

It's all wrong from the ******* top down. That's all there is to it. It's a culture of complacency and talk. Nothing more. They need new voices in the room, not the same turds preaching the same **** PC preached. If we come back with the same staff next year, only replacing Leonhard as assistant, we're going to have the exact same issues. 

I was right, for years, about Chryst. His stink is still going to be all over this program if we keep his staff around. It's a half assed attempt at a fix of a problem that's rooted further than you're pretending it is. 

There's no such thing as complacency for college athletes, what have they accomplished? You can use that in the NFL when a guy gets a big contract, sure he's set for life, if he doesn't want to bust his *** anymore, he doesn't have to.

These kids have accomplished nothing financially, they have absolutely no reason to be complacent, and they're not. 

Coaching staff wise, sure there can be a comfort there if all these guys want in life is to be a position coach at a D1 school who's bottom of the pack in salary for position coaches. I don't think that's the case.

I think you're frustrated with the downturn of the program, and want drastic change just for the sake of something different. The first few years of Chryst are the pinnacle of what this program will achieve, we're not going to ever be Bama, Clemson, LSU, OSU, etc... A 5 year run of competing for Big 10 titles with a hope 1-2 of those years turn into playoff runs with a big win. We accomplished that with this culture and staff, it just needs to be modernized and brought up to current brand of football on offense.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

There's no such thing as complacency for college athletes, what have they accomplished? You can use that in the NFL when a guy gets a big contract, sure he's set for life, if he doesn't want to bust his *** anymore, he doesn't have to.

These kids have accomplished nothing financially, they have absolutely no reason to be complacent, and they're not. 

Coaching staff wise, sure there can be a comfort there if all these guys want in life is to be a position coach at a D1 school who's bottom of the pack in salary for position coaches. I don't think that's the case.

I think you're frustrated with the downturn of the program, and want drastic change just for the sake of something different. The first few years of Chryst are the pinnacle of what this program will achieve, we're not going to ever be Bama, Clemson, LSU, OSU, etc... A 5 year run of competing for Big 10 titles with a hope 1-2 of those years turn into playoff runs with a big win. We accomplished that with this culture and staff, it just needs to be modernized and brought up to current brand of football on offense.

I wasn't talking about the kids lol