MMA Thread | As the UFC Turns

beekay414

7 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

It easily could go the way the Mendes fight did though. Conor was on his back the whole fight it seemed but once the round is over they start standing again and he gets his chance to knock him out

Mendes on top and Khabib on top are two completely different animals. You see it every time in the face of Khabib's opponents. After being on the bottom for any decent length of time, their expression is like "wtf am I doing in a cage with this guy". If any of these strikers spend round one underneath Khabib, the game changes completely.

13 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea is there really this blueprint though? Dont get me wrong the fact he has holes but is so great at what he does does make for stylistic matchups that are fun which is why i wanted to see Tony fight him again. The blueprint of stopping TDs and hoping Khabib is stupid enough to wing those things he calls punches for a round or 2 and avoid TDs is there but mostly its up to Khabib

According to the main consensus, there is. It's always, oh he dominated this guy but this other guy will completely expose him. I don't agree it's a tried and true way to beat him, because it hasn't happened yet.

21 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

After watching this fight, I think Tony is that guy. Tony's incredibly difficult to keep on the ground and he's an insane striker. If they can't get GSP for November, they HAVE to book that fight again.

Honestly, I disagree. I think Tony's going to be too willing to take part in an ugly fight, which is great for Khabib. Khabib's at his best on the feet in a brawl, he has quick hands, great conditioning, and an ugly fight lends him more opportunities to clinch. Tony's also confident off his back, which is bad against Khabib, because I think his grappling is too high level to get caught on the ground. We saw Al try some things off his back, but whenever he did Khabib was able to capitalize and pass.

Conor and Max are really the toughest tests for Khabib. They have the technical, accurate striking to potentially take advantage of any holes he leaves in his defense. Conor fighting the same type of fight he did against Eddie seems like the way to go. Be patient, stay at distance, attack and disengage. Khabib will present a different level of pressure than Eddie did, but it's just up to Conor to be able to circle and disengage effectively.

Out of all though, I still desperately want to see Khabib vs Ortega. Amazing grappling exchanges, and both aren't afraid to get in a dog fight on the feet. Might just be the most perfect matchup the UFC could make.

25 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

According to the main consensus, there is. It's always, oh he dominated this guy but this other guy will completely expose him. I don't agree it's a tried and true way to beat him, because it hasn't happened yet.

I don't think I have seen very many takes saying so and so is gonna beat Khabib because of x, much less a consensus.

3 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I don't think I have seen very many takes saying so and so is gonna beat Khabib because of x, much less a consensus.

It's pretty much one note in the community following yesterday's fight. An overwhelming majority saying that Khabib will get rolled by Conor/Tony/Max.

5 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

Real classy post by Rogan addressing his commentary in the main event. Love to see this. 

Didn't have a problem with his commentary, it made sense in the context.. not sure why people would get upset. Khabib got stuffed a few times, and didn't look smooth boxing and got popped once (I think in the 2nd?).

Problem was the commentary was all about Khabib being exposed on the feet while outlanding a striking based fighter by almost 100 strikes. 

Every time Al got close, or even landed a glancing blow, Joe blew up like Khabib just got rocked. 

2 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

Problem was the commentary was all about Khabib being exposed on the feet while outlanding a striking based fighter by almost 100 strikes. 

Every time Al got close, or even landed a glancing blow, Joe blew up like Khabib just got rocked. 

I agree with you it was getting a little over done. I know most people wanted to see Khabib just obliterate Al in 1st round but I saw exactly what i was expecting to see. I saw a top level fighter having his 1st title fight against his 5th opponent on 1 days notice. He took very lil risk and had a huge lopsided win to secure the belt. No new holes to his game were exposed imo. Khabib has shown the same chin up striking before and thats what makes him vs a guy like Tony or Conor so anticipated. We want to see if either of them can sleep Khabib before he mauls the crap out of them.

7 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Honestly, I disagree. I think Tony's going to be too willing to take part in an ugly fight, which is great for Khabib. Khabib's at his best on the feet in a brawl, he has quick hands, great conditioning, and an ugly fight lends him more opportunities to clinch. Tony's also confident off his back, which is bad against Khabib, because I think his grappling is too high level to get caught on the ground. We saw Al try some things off his back, but whenever he did Khabib was able to capitalize and pass.

Conor and Max are really the toughest tests for Khabib. They have the technical, accurate striking to potentially take advantage of any holes he leaves in his defense. Conor fighting the same type of fight he did against Eddie seems like the way to go. Be patient, stay at distance, attack and disengage. Khabib will present a different level of pressure than Eddie did, but it's just up to Conor to be able to circle and disengage effectively.

Out of all though, I still desperately want to see Khabib vs Ortega. Amazing grappling exchanges, and both aren't afraid to get in a dog fight on the feet. Might just be the most perfect matchup the UFC could make.

Idk if Conor/Max are on a different level than Tony in terms of being a tough matchup. Tony is a diverse striker and still dangerous on the ground. If and more than likely when Khabib gets Conor on the ground he has nothing down there but being a turtle. But i think it is more what Khabib's plan is. If he is so hell-bent on standing like he was this last fight, he will get caught. Still cant believe he left Al standing for so long

Also Ortega-Max is a better matchup and the one the UFC needs. Max has cleaned out FW and Khabib still has top-level 55ers to fight

Yea, that was straight up bizarre. I appreciate Rogan's attempt to explain/apologize/whatever that was, but it still makes no sense to me. Did he ever criticize Machida for his head always being held high despite being a high level striker? How about the dominant GSP jabbing a completely outmatched Jake Shields in an insufferably boring fight for 25 mins?

Rogan also did an awful job when he for some reason kept going "OH!" or applauding when Al was throwing bombs that were getting completely blocked as if he was landing flush or something.

The only impressive thing Al did was be tough as fook on the ground and survive. His striking was an absolute mess, he couldn't put anything together. His corner kept yelling, "Stay on him!" anytime he cut him off and had him against the cage, but he did nothing. A classic "MMA striker" performance. Khabib showed fairly good instincts IMO and was much harder to hit than his opponent despite still being a novice on the feet.

Overall I honestly don't know what to make of that fight, and don't even know if anything relevant came out of it given all the obvious circumstances. Might be a Jones vs OSP type of deal.

The commentary was painful - you'd never expect commentary like that in a 5-0 fight. Same thing with the women's fight, it just all seemed a little off to me. 

2 hours ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

The commentary was painful - you'd never expect commentary like that in a 5-0 fight. Same thing with the women's fight, it just all seemed a little off to me. 

I agree it was strange but so was the matchup. Al had no business fighting the champ so Rogan had to make it seem like he had a chance. I feel like in a real title fight it wouldnt go down that way

7 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I agree it was strange but so was the matchup. Al had no business fighting the champ so Rogan had to make it seem like he had a chance. I feel like in a real title fight it wouldnt go down that way

That's not Rogan's job, though. The commentary and all the excuses being made are bush league at best. 

Chalk it up to an off night for Rogan but it was bad. 

The funniest thing for me was how he called the performance unimpressive (I believe the word he used). Joe will sit there and tell you how a snoozefest is a chess match of dominance to the educated like himself but not to the casuals, but all of a sudden that performance was unimpressive? I mean I'm not saying Khabib rocked the world or anything, but if that was unimpressive then a good chunk of the fights Joe called need to be called out for the same or worse.

Archived