MMA Thread | As the UFC Turns

beekay414

29 minutes ago, Blazer026 said:

I thought the fight was a lot closer than most people did. I actually thought Joanna won, I'd have to watch it again though. 

Was surprised to see all the judges only gave her 1 round, she did out land Rose by about 50 strikes I think. 

She landed a ton of leg kicks but, outside of that, Rose landed the much more significant strikes. I thought Rose clearly won the first two rounds, clocked Joanna early in the 3rd and the rest of that round was basically a wash, Joanna won the 4th and Rose took the 5th when she got more aggressive and then secured the takedown. I initially had it 48-47 Rose but I can see the 49-46 due to Joanna only winning the 4th clearly (and even then, it wasn't THAT clear).

23 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

pretty crazy that Khabib couldn't take down Gleison Tibau and he actually go taken down twice. Rogan and Goldberg were surprised Khabib won when the decision was read.

Oh, I'll have to see if I can find that online. That's one of the few I've missed of Khabib's.

5 hours ago, PAW said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but the biggest factors rounds 4 and 5 add are testing your cardio and mental toughness.  Khabib has insane cardio and would have no issues going 5 with anyone and you aren't going to be tested mentally fighting a clearly inferior fighter. 

He doesn't know for sure that he'll have no problems going 5 rounds until he actually does it though. He doesn't want to find out that he hits a wall in the 4th round when it's a title fight against Tony and he's down 2 rounds already. The experience of having done it already is so valuable. 

10 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

I thought the fight was a lot closer than most people did. I actually thought Joanna won, I'd have to watch it again though. 

Was surprised to see all the judges only gave her 1 round, she did out land Rose by about 50 strikes I think. 

I'm with you partly. I didnt think she won but was surprised she only got 1 round. 

9 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

lol well I figured as much once you said Gleison Tibau.

I just watched that fight since it was brought up. It looked like Khabib got clipped with 2 min left in the 2nd but he was able to muscle his way to the corner

It was funny that Joe said he expected Khabib to lose and also Khabib's striking has actually improved since then too lol

I know Gleison didnt do much but stopping 12 TDs or whatever it was, I cant believe it was a 30-27 UD

20 hours ago, Blazer026 said:

I mean the scorecard in this case certainly doesnt tell the full story of this fight... Rose controlled that fight for at least 3 rounds (1,2,5). it wasnt a dominant win like the previous fight, but it would be hard for me to give 3 rounds to JJ based on what I saw

I dunno. I blame Carlos Condit for myself not taking leg kicks solely on their own as significant strikes in scoring. Yeah, they score technically but if it's not actually slowing down your opponent (like any Pat Barry fight or the Kattar-Moicana fight) then I don't put much stock into them. Rose kept doing what she was doing the entire fight so, yeah, JJ "outstruck" her as a result of the leg kicks but they didn't really kill Rose's game plan like Moicana did to Kattar.

13 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

I dunno. I blame Carlos Condit for myself not taking leg kicks solely on their own as significant strikes in scoring. Yeah, they score technically but if it's not actually slowing down your opponent (like any Pat Barry fight or the Kattar-Moicana fight) then I don't put much stock into them. Rose kept doing what she was doing the entire fight so, yeah, JJ "outstruck" her as a result of the leg kicks but they didn't really kill Rose's game plan like Moicana did to Kattar.

Yea i feel like leg strikes are great at slowing your opponent down but i just cant believe people think that was the difference maker in the fight

16 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

yeah, I think with MMA scoring there is different story then with something like boxing (where strike scoring is basically a definitive way to gauge how a fight likely went)

the eye test for me clearly shows Rose winning that fight... based on damage, stalking, & how little the strikes for JJ seemed to effect her in comparison to Rose's (which is saying a metric crap ton considering how good JJ's striking is)

Props to Rose all around, she is just a matchup nightmare for JJ.

Archived