MMA Thread | As the UFC Turns

beekay414

Great performance from Poirier. Honestly, I thought Gaethje would break him, but Dustin seemed mentally up for this. He needs to be a bit smarter about defending his legs, but his boxing is great, and even more impressive was his cardio. He was absolutely winging a lot of those shots, but it went into the fourth and he was still going strong.

We really should get the Alvarez-Poirier rematch now. But I feel like both guys potentially have a case for a title shot, and are going to hold out for that. It depends really on how soon Conor/Tony can fight. They're the next two logical choices, but Tony's injury might keep him out a while, and who knows what's happening with Conor yet.

My money's still on Conor vs Khabib either in Russia in September or MSG in November, but if not, I feel like Poirier might be the guy, since Eddie is still not that far removed from his title loss. Dustin might have an outside shot against Khabib too, he has the right type of style to go against him.

It will be great to see if Poirier gets a title shot.

He's only 29, but he's had 20 fights in the UFC, he's 15-4 (1), and he's been in some classic fights, the Korean Zombie fight, against Joseph Duffy, Miller, Alvarez, now tonight. One of these guys who has put together great runs, just to lose right when a title shot looks likely.

Also I know some people don't like Cruz, but I thought it was a treat having him and DC in the booth. The best technical knowledge you could ask for. Gives the viewer a whole new perspective listening to one current and one very recent champion calling the action. 

Just started watching the card from last night and here are my notes.

I feel like Antonio Carlos Junior could be a serious contender, I know he lost to Dan Kelly but he is 28 and has some serious submissions

Condit might be done by now. He wants title shots but loses to Oli. That won't get you your shot

Vettori complaining about the "eye poke" bruh you took an elbow. Quit complaining

Cant believe the Adesanya fight was a SD

DC saying Gaethje is one of the best kickers EVER in the UFC? Child please

What a fun fight by Gaethje and Poirier! Poirier got clipped bad midway thru the 3rd and recovered. These eye pokes are crazy man.  Did Diamond get cut at the end of round 2 on that flip by Gaethje?

For people complaining about the Rose/JJ fight about the leg kicks not counting, watch ^^^ fight. There is a difference between legs connecting and making a difference

5 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Great performance from Poirier. Honestly, I thought Gaethje would break him, but Dustin seemed mentally up for this. He needs to be a bit smarter about defending his legs, but his boxing is great, and even more impressive was his cardio. He was absolutely winging a lot of those shots, but it went into the fourth and he was still going strong.

We really should get the Alvarez-Poirier rematch now. But I feel like both guys potentially have a case for a title shot, and are going to hold out for that. It depends really on how soon Conor/Tony can fight. They're the next two logical choices, but Tony's injury might keep him out a while, and who knows what's happening with Conor yet.

My money's still on Conor vs Khabib either in Russia in September or MSG in November, but if not, I feel like Poirier might be the guy, since Eddie is still not that far removed from his title loss. Dustin might have an outside shot against Khabib too, he has the right type of style to go against him.

Given how the 1st one ends I feel like that is logical but if Tony/Conor are out and you have to give it to 1 of them who ya got? Take away there fight and you got:

Poirier: Petits(W) Gaethje(W) Miller(W) Johnson(L) Green(W)

Alvarez: Pettis(W) Gaethje(W) RDA(W) Conor(L)

I feel like gun to my head you take Alvarez right? Beating RDA is a better win than what Poirier has and losing to Conor is a better loss than Poirier has. Just hoping Tony is ready to go. Ramadan should help prolong his recovery time I hope so we can see Alvarez/Poirier as a #1 contender fight. Maybe on the same card in case someone drops out...again

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Given how the 1st one ends I feel like that is logical but if Tony/Conor are out and you have to give it to 1 of them who ya got? Take away there fight and you got:

Poirier: Petits(W) Gaethje(W) Miller(W) Johnson(L) Green(W)

Alvarez: Pettis(W) Gaethje(W) RDA(W) Conor(L)

I feel like gun to my head you take Alvarez right? Beating RDA is a better win than what Poirier has and losing to Conor is a better loss than Poirier has. Just hoping Tony is ready to go. Ramadan should help prolong his recovery time I hope so we can see Alvarez/Poirier as a #1 contender fight. Maybe on the same card in case someone drops out...again

I'd go with Poirier. He's fresh blood in terms of title contention, whereas Eddie still has the sting of that Conor loss not long ago. Conor's likely next as soon as he's back, and if it's against Eddie again that's a real hard sell.

Also I hate to utter he who shall not be named in the lightweight title picture... but don't rule out Nate Diaz. He'll probably be willing to come back for a title fight, his crew and Khabib's crew had a bit of an altercation a little while ago, so they might still have some beef, and Diaz is a draw for the casuals. Plus it's win/win for the UFC, either we get Conor/Diaz 3 or Conor/Khabib.

I wouldn't like to see him get a shot over guys who actually stay active, but it makes sense for the UFC. Personally if he comes back to fighting I'd love to see him as Gaethje's next opponent. That fight will be fireworks, and it's also pretty much a guaranteed win for Gaethje to get him back on track.

1 hour ago, Buckrock101 said:

Also I hate to utter he who shall not be named in the lightweight title picture... but don't rule out Nate Diaz. He'll probably be willing to come back for a title fight, his crew and Khabib's crew had a bit of an altercation a little while ago, so they might still have some beef, and Diaz is a draw for the casuals. Plus it's win/win for the UFC, either we get Conor/Diaz 3 or Conor/Khabib.

I wouldn't like to see him get a shot over guys who actually stay active, but it makes sense for the UFC. Personally if he comes back to fighting I'd love to see him as Gaethje's next opponent. That fight will be fireworks, and it's also pretty much a guaranteed win for Gaethje to get him back on track.

I wanna see it just because of the leg kicks. It would be brutal with the way Nate sticks his leg out there. 

4 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

I'd go with Poirier. He's fresh blood in terms of title contention, whereas Eddie still has the sting of that Conor loss not long ago. Conor's likely next as soon as he's back, and if it's against Eddie again that's a real hard sell.

Sept 2016 Conor beats Alvarez and 2 months later Poirier loses to Michael Johnson. Idk i get that Conor just beat him but their most recent loss was practically the same guy but to very different caliber of talent

I personally think Poirier deserves it over Eddie. 7-1-1 at lightweight, and should have got the DQ win over Eddie. Can't really see how Eddie deserves it, lost to McGregor, should have lost to Poirier imo, and a win over Gaethje. 

Obviously McGregor or Ferguson should get the shot, but I doubt Ferguson is ready this year and who knows what happens with McGregor. 

I could see them giving the shot to Diaz too, wouldn't agree with it though.  

6 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

The problem with Carlos Condit is he never got better. He's WEC's version of Shogun. Came into the UFC at an all-time high, won a title (although interim) and is a borderline .500 fighter in the UFC.

I don't know about that, he was a hair away from winning against Robbie Lawler not so long ago. Problem is I think that fight broke him mentally. To come so close to winning the title, in a war like that, it's hard to come back from. I think he could have got his mojo back if he bounced back against Maia, but the one thing he hasn't really improved on is his takedown defense, and we saw how that cost him against Maia.

He's still had a great UFC career. Big knockout wins over MacDonald, Dong, Hardy, Alves, the war against Lawler, and most of his losses prior to this stretch were against the best in the division (GSP, pre-USADA Hendricks, knee injury vs Woodley). I'm just not sure he really wants it now, and MMA is a bad place to be if you have half a foot out the door.

On 4/15/2018 at 8:51 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

DC saying Gaethje is one of the best kickers EVER in the UFC? Child please

Correct me if I'm wrong because I was pretty tuned up watching it but I believe he was referring to his leg kicks. 

Archived