How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

It does appear that any serious competition for Trubisky is going to have to come out of the draft.

Outside of Bridgewater and Smith, if healthy, I cannot see anyone who comes in here and poses a direct threat to him.

What makes you say that? There could easily be a QB who falls down to the second that Nagy likes. In addition, Foles was benched this past Sunday. He could be had this off season.

7 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

What makes you say that? There could easily be a QB who falls down to the second that Nagy likes. In addition, Foles was benched this past Sunday. He could be had this off season.

The veterans all kind of suck.

You are going to give up draft picks and 20 million/season for a marginal upgrade? I am not sure that is the best way to build the team.

Just now, WindyCity said:

The veterans all kind of suck.

You are going to give up draft picks and 20 million/season for a marginal upgrade? I am not sure that is the best way to build the team.

I think we have recency bias since Mitch played well the last two games. When he starts to regress will you feel the same way? 

• Like 1

There are no good options, just a series of compromised ones.  Best case is if Mitch gets good, but I think we're likely just seeing flashes as usual.  I think no matter what you have to bring in a new veteran QB even if it's just to be QB2.  Daniel is not cheap, and is not good, and his role as bench coach has not yielded anything tangible in Trubisky's developement. 

I think it's most likely we go into 2020 with Mitch, some tier 2 veteran like Keenum , and a late late pick from the draft.  It's not a good situation. 

17 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I think we have recency bias since Mitch played well the last two games. When he starts to regress will you feel the same way? 

I am not buying Mitch stock.

I would like to draft and develop the insurance policy.

I am just not interested in sinking massive money into a guy who is a little better than Mitch. Based on what we have seen from Foles he is not better than Mitch unless Pederson is calling the shots.

On his 1st INT Foles misread the coverage, and had the TE open on the drag. He threw it like the guy was going to squat right in front of the LB. On his first strip/sack the TE on the right worked open on an in route but he was WAY late on the read. On the 2nd one he could have dumped it off to Fournette on a flat but he panicked and missed that open read. The sack with about a minute to go the LT did his best JWebb impersonation. I can't fault him for that since he tried to step up and there was nothing.

I could understand him missing reads on his first game back but this is crazy. Same scheme he has been in for years and even with a much lower level of talent around him than in PHI there were still open guys. He was playing early season Trubisky bad. That isn't worth the $15 mil cap hit next year. Load up the talent around QB, let Nagy pick his guy in the 2nd, and have an open battle. Mitch has earned nothing but Foles should not be screwing up simple reads with this level of regularity at this stage in his career.

If Nagy can't get an offense to do better in 2020 then drop him and Pace, and let the new HC use the 1st rounder to select his guy. Then you'll have 2 young talents at QB for at least 3 more years to work with. You can bring in your cheap vet system QB to help in the room if you want.

Edited by Sugashane

22 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am not buying Mitch stock.

I would like to draft and develop the insurance policy.

I am just not interested in sinking massive money into a guy who is a little better than Mitch. Based on what we have seen from Foles he is not better than Mitch unless Pederson is calling the shots.

I really disagree that Foles is marginally better. He may be having a down year in Jax but he's a proven QB who has been consistently solid the last couple of years. His cap hit is high but if we want to make the playoffs next year are we really going to roll the dice on Mitch and maybe a rookie QB? 

9 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

On his 1st INT Foles misread the coverage, and had the TE open on the drag. He threw it like the guy was going to squat right in front of the LB. On his first strip/sack the TE on the right worked open on an in route but he was WAY late on the read. On the 2nd one he could have dumped it off to Fournette on a flat but he panicked and missed that open read. The sack with about a minute to go the LT did his best JWebb impersonation. I can't fault him for that since he tried to step up and there was nothing.

I could understand him missing reads on his first game back but this is crazy. Same scheme he has been in for years and even with a much lower level of talent around him than in PHI there were still open guys. He was playing early season Trubisky bad. That isn't worth the $15 mil cap hit next year. Load up the talent around QB, let Nagy pick his guy in the 2nd, and have an open battle. Mitch has earned nothing but Foles should not be screwing up simple reads with this level of regularity at this stage in his career.

If Nagy can't get an offense to do better in 2020 then drop him and Pace, and let the new HC use the 1st rounder to select his guy. Then you'll have 2 young talents at QB for at least 3 more years to work with. You can bring in your cheap vet system QB to help in the room if you want.

It's one game though right? Even the most experienced QBs make simple mistakes.

8 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I really disagree that Foles is marginally better. He may be having a down year in Jax but he's a proven QB who has been consistently solid the last couple of years. His cap hit is high but if we want to make the playoffs next year are we really going to roll the dice on Mitch and maybe a rookie QB? 

He has been consistently solid in Philly.

The minute he leaves there he craps out.

I think the urge to get a vet in here like Foles is assuming the defense is super special and will only be so for one more year, and we're just a competent QB away from winning a super bowl.  

I'm not convinced thats the case.  We really overestimated this offense going into the season, and they have a ton of areas in which they're either bare (TE) or bad (3/5 of the OL)

I've spent a lot of time looking at the Love/Fromm/Eason/Hurts level of QB with the idea that we might get an exciting new QB next year, but realistically we need to improve other positions first or the new guy is going to have lots of the same problems. If it's me I look hard at TE or OL with our 2 2nds. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nads786 said:

It's one game though right? Even the most experienced QBs make simple mistakes.

It is in a sense but he was worse than his stats showed last week too, but he has never had sustained success. That is why it is troubling to me. When does he show real improvement?

He had am amazing run with Reid one year then came crashing back to reality. Then he had a pair of great games in 2017 vs NE and MIN, then just didn't kill PHI when they squeeked by ATL. Those two games were great, 700 yards and 6 TDs. But last postseason he was poor. Yes he played Chicago but it was a team that was missing Jackson (who was on an amazing streak that) and had a ST star playing NB (who was the one they picked to go after on the last play). NO's defense wasn't great at all and he bombed. From 2014 on he has become overrated only due to that small postseason run. Almost his entire career he has been average at best. I'm fine with him being competition, but overpaying average talent at QB means lacking talent for the long-term option of the future IMO.

He has one great year, then his career hasn't really been consistently better than Tru. If we are going to upgrade, I just don't know that Nick is the guy to do it.

5 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think the urge to get a vet in here like Foles is assuming the defense is super special and will only be so for one more year, and we're just a competent QB away from winning a super bowl.  

I'm not convinced thats the case.  We really overestimated this offense going into the season, and they have a ton of areas in which they're either bare (TE) or bad (3/5 of the OL)

I've spent a lot of time looking at the Love/Fromm/Eason/Hurts level of QB with the idea that we might get an exciting new QB next year, but realistically we need to improve other positions first or the new guy is going to have lots of the same problems. If it's me I look hard at TE or OL with our 2 2nds. 

This is a fair point. Right now we are a top 7 defense statistically but no where near as dominant as last year (turnovers controlling offenses etc). There could be another slide down next year which would leave us with Foles and being back to square one barely trying to get into the playoffs.