How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

41 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

The backup is Chase Daniel who 90% of this board wanted cut in August. If he went to Daniel, 90% of you would be ripping Nagy for that, too. Of course he's lying to us. No coach in shoes would say "well he sucks but what can I do?" It's coachspeak, dude. You know that. He was brought in to develop Trubisky but at some point we need to realize the QB is unsalvageable no matter who's coaching him.

I don't know how you can come to this conclusion.

You have to understand that Nagy was a big proponent of Mitch and that is in part why he decided to take on this job.  He could have bided his time with Reid and Mahomes and waited for a better opportunity to go to a team that would have their pick of the QB litter but HE decided to pursue this opportunity so if he fails in developing Trubisky and improving the offense in Chicago then that is an indictment on him more than the players IMO. 

This should also consider that he has now had 2 off-seasons as HC of this team.  If he really felt horribly about the QB position, and Mitch in particular, then surely they would have drafted someone last year like a Garnder Minshew, or would have brought in another veteran QB, don't you think?  He had a part in signing Chase Daniel as his back up and drafting guys like James Daniels, Anthony Miller, Javon Wims, David Montgomery, Riley Ridley, etc. so why are these guys and the offense struggling so much right now?

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

I don't know how you can come to this conclusion.

You have to understand that Nagy was a big proponent of Mitch and that is in part why he decided to take on this job.  He could have bided his time with Reid and Mahomes and waited for a better opportunity to go to a team that would have their pick of the QB litter but HE decided to pursue this opportunity so if he fails in developing Trubisky and improving the offense in Chicago then that is an indictment on him more than the players IMO. 

This should also consider that he has now had 2 off-seasons as HC of this team.  If he really felt horribly about the QB position, and Mitch in particular, then surely they would have drafted someone last year like a Garnder Minshew, or would have brought in another veteran QB, don't you think?  He had a part in signing Chase Daniel as his back up and drafting guys like James Daniels, Anthony Miller, Javon Wims, David Montgomery, Riley Ridley, etc. so why are these guys and the offense struggling so much right now?

How did I come to that conclusion? Because I watch the games. The QB isn't running when he should. He's missing open receivers. He isn't seeing open receivers. He's making horrible decisions. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nagy is a football coach, not a psychiatrist. Of course he knew what he was getting into when taking the job, but Trubisky is like beyond help. He's in his own head. Helfrich said before the Minnesota game that the coaches are telling Trubisky who will be open but at the snap he is thinking it's almost too easy so he looks away from that receiver.

I never said he felt horribly about the QB position. He probably felt good about it in the offseason (still no excuse to not take a QB almost every year, btw) without having an idea that his QB would lose all confidence and be completely shot mentally. 

Nagy wanted Daniel to help Trubisky learn the offense. He didn't anticipate him being on the same level as Trubisky 3 years in. 

We praised Hiestand when the OL was doing well so I'm not going to blame Nagy when they're playing poorly. I'm going to blame Hiestand. Wims isn't playing poorly, he just isn't playing/getting opportunity when he is. Montgomery isn't playing poorly because he's talentless, he's playing poorly because the OL took a step back and teams aren't worried about the QB. Ridley isn't playing poorly, he's not playing because maybe he isn't ready yet or just not good like most 4th rounders. Miller's getting 3.3 yards of separation on average, the QB just isn't seeing him.

Edited by beardown3231

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Yippie he won coach of the year with a 12-4 record and was 1 and done in the PO's.  His offense (which is supposed to be his bread and butter) ranked 21st overall in 2018 and is currently ranked 29th in 2019.

Dude..all I'm saying is when are we going to start pointing the finger at Nagy?  He was brought in to fix the offense and he has stunk so far.

There are credible analyst who have criticized his offense design and now we are hearing rumors of players doing it too.

It is a chicken and the egg argument.

Nagy screws up Mitch and Mitch screws up Nagy.

The one thing that can sure both those things? A dominant OL. Mitch will settle down, Nagy will be more balanced.

I honestly feel that Nagy is just trying to talk up Mitch during these press conferences just to present an outward appearance that they are supporting their QB. I also don't get why people feel that Nagy when he got this job he did it because he thought that Mitch was going to be great. Getting a head coaching job is hard and I'm thinking every competitive person has the ego that they can win no matter what and Nagy jumped at the chance. The problem is that on offense there is no identity. If the other team shuts down Allen Robinson, there is nothing that this team does well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It is a chicken and the egg argument.

Nagy screws up Mitch and Mitch screws up Nagy.

The one thing that can sure both those things? A dominant OL. Mitch will settle down, Nagy will be more balanced.

I know they definitely need a new RG as Coward is nothing more than depth and Long is finished. 

I am moving more blame to Matt Nagy than I did in the past. I think his reluctance to do more of what his QB and team can do has been very frustrating.

I think he was coaching like Mitch had taken a big step, before he had actually taken the step.

Nagy 30

Mitch 30

OL 20

WRs 10

TEs 10

You can tie Pace into the TEs and QB.

30 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I know they definitely need a new RG as Coward is nothing more than depth and Long is finished. 

Give me a legit RG and an OT that can replace one of Leno or Massie at some point in 2020.

Average, solid, good enough are no longer words that we can attach to a line if we want Nagy and 10 to be successful.

46 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Pass.

Guy already messed up his throwing shoulder and now he has lower body injuries.

I really don't like Cam's body language either.  He is not a guy that I would want leading this team.

No Newton please.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

At least the "give Mariota a shot to battle it out vs Trubisky; the coaching staff in Tennessee has a horrible offensive gameplan and he's a better player than they've allowed him to show" crowd has vanished

Out of all my QB elevations in the past.

I was never more right about a prospect than I was right about Marcus Mariota.

>The king of drifting into sacks, because he wouldn't step up in the pocket.

>Mr. Conservative, because he never throws the ball down the field.

And

>Mr. Pussarm, because his passes past 10 yards to the numbers lacked any zip.

I knew the kid would bust hard.

Nobody believed me for years.

People wanted him to come to the bears.

I said no way, he's worse than Mitch.

People laughed at me.

Today, they are not laughing, for they realize that Mariota is a bust.

• Like 1