How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

1 minute ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think the urge to get a vet in here like Foles is assuming the defense is super special and will only be so for one more year, and we're just a competent QB away from winning a super bowl.  

I'm not convinced thats the case.  We really overestimated this offense going into the season, and they have a ton of areas in which they're either bare (TE) or bad (3/5 of the OL)

I've spent a lot of time looking at the Love/Fromm/Eason/Hurts level of QB with the idea that we might get an exciting new QB next year, but realistically we need to improve other positions first or the new guy is going to have lots of the same problems. If it's me I look hard at TE or OL with our 2 2nds. 

Good points.

If we are looking at upgrades, I would be fine with attacking FA. For 2020 we could cover Hooper's deal (just an example as he'll be the highest paid TE this FA) then we could cut Gabriel and Patterson and cover his cap, unless he makes more than Kelce or Graham which still would be little more. Hell cut Shaheen and you can cover $10 mil per year there.  In 2021 you can cut Burton for a good saving.

Floyd is due $13 mil and isn't worth that. I'd try to trade him then use that for a talented partner for ARob or an OL investment. That is enough to put that WR as the 15th highest paid WR per year, or the 4th highest paid OG. Scherff would be the key cog in our OL and would be a massive upgrade to the line, and a much bigger difference maker than Floyd has been for us IMO.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Either sign Bridgewater and be done with Mitch, which would shock me.

Or

Spend the money on OL and TE and do not dump it into some mediocre veteran with no upside.

And then if that results in another playoffless year, trade up for Fields or Lawrence.

4 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

This is a fair point. Right now we are a top 7 defense statistically but no where near as dominant as last year (turnovers controlling offenses etc). There could be another slide down next year which would leave us with Foles and being back to square one barely trying to get into the playoffs.

See, I disagree. I think this year they've been extremely unlucky as opposed to last year when they were extremely lucky. Next year they'll probably fall somewhere in the middle. For instance Amukamara has flat out dropped 2 picks the last 2 weeks and McManis dropped 1. Next year they probably catch at least 2 of those. It's just not their year for turnovers, but I can see next year being better.

Just now, beardown3231 said:

And then if that results in another playoffless year, trade up for Fields or Lawrence.

See, I disagree. I think this year they've been extremely unlucky as opposed to last year when they were extremely lucky. Next year they'll probably fall somewhere in the middle. For instance Amukamara has flat out dropped 2 picks the last 2 weeks and McManis dropped 1. Next year they probably catch at least 2 of those. It's just not their year for turnovers, but I can see next year being better.

The talent and the scheme is there. I love our players on defense, especially when Hicks comes back. 

Fuller has dropped 2 this year as well, the one vs Rodgers should have been a pick-6 IIRC.

• Like 1

Just now, Sugashane said:

Good points.

If we are looking at upgrades, I would be fine with attacking FA. For 2020 we could cover Hooper's deal (just an example as he'll be the highest paid TE this FA) then we could cut Gabriel and Patterson and cover his cap, unless he makes more than Kelce or Graham which still would be little more. Hell cut Shaheen and you can cover $10 mil per year there.  In 2021 you can cut Burton for a good saving.

Floyd is due $13 mil and isn't worth that. I'd try to trade him then use that for a talented partner for ARob or an OL investment. That is enough to put that WR as the 15th highest paid WR per year, or the 4th highest paid OG. Scherff would be the key cog in our OL and would be a massive upgrade to the line, and a much bigger difference maker than Floyd has been for us IMO.

I don't think Hooper will be paid as much as we think. Look at his career- he's never had 700 yards and never had over 6 TD's. With a QB like that and those WR's to take the pressure off of him, that's a little startling. I'd probably offer 4-5 years at 6-7M a year and see what happens, but 9M+ AAV would be overboard.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Either sign Bridgewater and be done with Mitch, which would shock me.

Or

Spend the money on OL and TE and do not dump it into some mediocre veteran with no upside.

I would love to put our draft capital all in on TEs and OL. It all comes down to how good Mitch can be with elite protection and a really strong running game.

11 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think the urge to get a vet in here like Foles is assuming the defense is super special and will only be so for one more year, and we're just a competent QB away from winning a super bowl.  

I'm not convinced thats the case.  We really overestimated this offense going into the season, and they have a ton of areas in which they're either bare (TE) or bad (3/5 of the OL)

I've spent a lot of time looking at the Love/Fromm/Eason/Hurts level of QB with the idea that we might get an exciting new QB next year, but realistically we need to improve other positions first or the new guy is going to have lots of the same problems. If it's me I look hard at TE or OL with our 2 2nds. 

I mostly agree with this.

They need to upgrade the talent level of the offense. If that includes a talented QB in round 2 then that's OK. If there isn't a Jackson/Wilson/Prescott in this draft, pass and build up the OL.

I don't think Hooper will be paid as much as we think. Look at his career- he's never had 700 yards and never had over 6 TD's. With a QB like that and those WR's to take the pressure off of him, that's a little startling. I'd probably offer 4-5 years at 6-7M a year and see what happens, but 9M+ AAV would be overboard.

You're right, he absolutely shouldn't make that much. FA just makes people throw money around like mad, especially since he will likely be the top TE this year.

1 minute ago, Nads786 said:

I would love to put our draft capital all in on TEs and OL. It all comes down to how good Mitch can be with elite protection and a really strong running game.

The problem is that draft picks are not guaranteed.

Brando Scherff at RG is as close to guaranteed as we get and he will still be here kicking *** for the next QB.

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Guys with no production get 6-7 million.

9 is fair and an easy decision for the Bears, if they do not blow their budget at QB.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The problem is that draft picks are not guaranteed.

Brando Scherff at RG is as close to guaranteed as we get and he will still be here kicking *** for the next QB.

If the question is Brandon Scheriff or Foles, I honestly think its tougher than people think. Mitch has to keep stringing solid to good games for me to believe he has a shot at being a starter. He can't have these 50 yard passing games like he did earlier in the season. 

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

If he doesn't get paid as much as we think then it is very unlikely he will ever be a Chicago Bear and likely just ends up re-signing with Atlanta.

Usually when teams don't end up keeping their better FA's it's because they simply can't afford to match an overpaid offer from another team.