How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

The answer to "how do you fix the QB in 2020" is you don't.

The fix won't happen until 2021 or beyond. At best, the Bears will get a veteran stopgap who can manage the offense. 

With the lack of draft picks and cap getting a serious option at QB seems difficult. The FA class is not great after you factor the guys who will likely resign. Bridgewater might be the best option if the Saints let him go.

Barring that, a trade is difficult. The Panthers are probably less likely to let Newton go given the struggles of Allen. Foles is entrenched as the starter in Jacksonville. Regardless, either will cost a 2nd round pick or more if they got loose.

The odds you find a day 1 starter in the draft are a crapshoot given draft position. 

I don't see anyway the Bears can "fix" the QB spot in 2020. They can marginally upgrade it over Trashbinski, but it likely won't be enough to elevate them in that division next year. 

28 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The answer to "how do you fix the QB in 2020" is you don't.

The fix won't happen until 2021 or beyond. At best, the Bears will get a veteran stopgap who can manage the offense. 

With the lack of draft picks and cap getting a serious option at QB seems difficult. The FA class is not great after you factor the guys who will likely resign. Bridgewater might be the best option if the Saints let him go.

Barring that, a trade is difficult. The Panthers are probably less likely to let Newton go given the struggles of Allen. Foles is entrenched as the starter in Jacksonville. Regardless, either will cost a 2nd round pick or more if they got loose.

The odds you find a day 1 starter in the draft are a crapshoot given draft position. 

I don't see anyway the Bears can "fix" the QB spot in 2020. They can marginally upgrade it over Trashbinski, but it likely won't be enough to elevate them in that division next year. 

While I understand your sentiment, I don't agree unconditionally. Dak Prescott was a 4th round pick. Russell Wilson was selected in the 3rd round. Lamar Jackson was a late 1st rounder. There's a precedent out there for success with young QBs who aren't top 10 picks.

Finding the right player is the hard part and that's what Pace is paid to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

While I understand your sentiment, I don't agree unconditionally. Dak Prescott was a 4th round pick. Russell Wilson was selected in the 3rd round. Lamar Jackson was a late 1st rounder. There's a precedent out there for success with young QBs who aren't top 10 picks.

Dalton, Carr and Garroppolo were 2's. Foles and Brissett were 3's. Cousins was a 4.

The days of needing a top 10 pick for a franchise guy are over.

Still, Lawrence or Fields would be sweet. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

You're catching lightening in a bottle in those situations. For every Prescott, there is a Lynch, Hackenburg, Kessler or Cook. Every Wilson, a Tannehill, Weeden or an Osweiler.

You almost have to get lucky in those situations. And your GM hasn't exactly proven to have an eye for QB talent. 

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You're catching lightening in a bottle in those situations. For every Prescott, there is a Lynch, Hackenburg, Kessler or Cook. Every Wilson, a Tannehill, Weeden or an Osweiler.

You almost have to get lucky in those situations. And your GM hasn't exactly proven to have an eye for QB talent. 

Every draft pick is luck. The odds you find a good or better player in round is like 15%. Every round after that is about 8% and it goes down from there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

This argument applies to top 10 picks too.

And while it can be perceived as luck, I'd argue that organizations simply need to take more chances. If the odds of finding the right QB are low, the best approach is to pick as many as possible until you find one. No other position is close to as important to the long-term health of the organization.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

This argument applies to top 10 picks too.

And while it can be perceived as luck, I'd argue that organizations simply need to take more chances. If the odds of finding the right QB are low, the best approach is to pick as many as possible until you find one. No other position is close to as important to the long-term health of the organization.

And Pace talked about "ideally" drafting one every year yet has taken 1 in 20-something picks. That's hypocritical. Taking Kyle Allen over Kylie Fitts would look a lot better right now

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

My fear is that this is how you end up with the next Andy Dalton situation.

Well what is your proposed solution. No 1st round pick and a lack of cap space to spend big on a FA/trade QB like Bridgewater or Foles.

They are kind of stuck with the scenario that Windy is saying for next year.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Well what is your proposed solution. No 1st round pick and a lack of cap space to spend big on a FA/trade QB like Bridgewater or Foles.

Which, again, is fine. Maybe they'll get lucky and either make a playoff run or finish 2-14 and *crosses fingers* get their guy for the next 15 years

23 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't hate the idea of trying to build up the team but I have 2 qualifications:

1. If there's a talented QB who you like in the draft, bring him in and let him start.
  2. Don't get fooled into giving Mitch a huge contract extension.

I don't hate the idea of trying to build up the team but I have 2 qualifications:

1. If there's a talented QB who you like in the draft, bring him in and let him start.

I'm all about taking a QB in the next draft if it makes sense but I don't like the idea of just letting a rookie start without them earning it.

And I don't think they are not going to give Mitch a huge extension...not yet at least. Pretty sure they will make him earn it based on how he does in the final year of his rookie deal.  The 5th year option is another topic of discussion but I wouldn't call that a huge extension if they do end up exercising it.

Going to be an interesting off season for sure.

I'm not letting Pace have the say in the QB, so if that's a must, I'd prefer they didn't waste any picks on one.

35 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I'm all about taking a QB in the next draft if it makes sense but I don't like the idea of just letting a rookie start without them earning it.

Seriously?

I guess...but what do you mean by "earning it"? Seems a low benchmark with the Bears at the moment. 

15 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm not letting Pace have the say in the QB, so if that's a must, I'd prefer they didn't waste any picks on one.

If that's your take, then you're advocating Pace be fired. And that's fine, but adjust accordingly.