How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

24 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I like Hurts but I wouldn't trade a future 1st for him. Pace should not be allowed to trade any future assets next off season because it might just be his last along with Nagy.

Let them try and sort out this mess that they created without any extra resources.

For anything other than a QB I would agree but everyone loses their jobs if a move isn't made to get a new QB this offseason and I would rather swing for the fences than get someone like Foles or Dalton.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Do you disagree? He runs the ball all the time. That's not going to work in the pros

You are thinking of his Bama days. He has really evolved as a passer this year with Lincoln Riley in Oklahoma.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

For anything other than a QB I would agree but everyone loses their jobs if a move isn't made to get a new QB this offseason and I would rather swing for the fences than get someone like Foles or Dalton.

The thing with a rookie QB is that there will surely be a learning curve and some growing pains. Do you think a rookie like Hurts would be good enough to step in from day 1 and save Nagy and Pace's jobs?

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Do you disagree? He runs the ball all the time. That's not going to work in the pros

He runs the ball sure...he also is completing 73% of his passes and has over 3000 yards on the season...no doubt the scheme helps but to say he can't pass is utterly false at this point...you don't start at QB at Bama & Oklahoma if you can't throw the ball...not only that but Hurts brings so much more in terms of mentality to the position which can't be overlooked.

6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

The thing with a rookie QB is that there will surely be a learning curve and some growing pains. Do you think a rookie like Hurts would be good enough to step in from day 1 and save Nagy and Pace's jobs?

I think he brings a playmaking element that when thing do breakdown and aren't drawn up as they should be he can make something out of nothing...that spark can't be taught and for me would be enough to keep people in a job.

Jalen Hurts has a lot of work to do as a passer. He would benefit from getting to sit behind an Alex Smith or Andy Dalton for an entire year and continue the work that Lincoln Riley started.

That being said. The guy has a ton of big game experience and has ice water in his veins, both things Mitch doesn't have and will never have.

The mental is there

The physical is there

The passing needs some refinement

Jalen Hurts freaks me out.  I have a totally unprovable theory that if Lamar Jackson makes it through the season unhurt, Jalen Hurts gets drafted a lot higher than he would be in a normal year. 

Fromm is boring, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Bears use a 2nd rd pick on him. 

I suggest we get Cutler out of retirement and then draft Eason to learn from him. 

10 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Jalen Hurts freaks me out.  I have a totally unprovable theory that if Lamar Jackson makes it through the season unhurt, Jalen Hurts gets drafted a lot higher than he would be in a normal year. 

Fromm is boring, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Bears use a 2nd rd pick on him. 

I suggest we get Cutler out of retirement and then draft Eason to learn from him. 

I don't suggest Cutler at all. Couldn't agree less. 

If you are going to draft Hurts, then have a plan like the Ravens did.

Do not draft him and then try and make it work with exactly what you want to do.

Build the OL so you can run the ball and effectively run RPOs. Get some size on the outside so that his accuracy issues are not as extreme. Get some damn TEs that can block and catch a pass or 2.

Hurts is never going to be Peyton Manning...but he doesn't have to be because that is not what the NFL is these days...we need a playmaker at the QB position and that means a guy who can not just throw but also make something happen out of nothing...not only that but this team as a whole needs more than just a new QB...we need a leader and everyone who has ever came into contact with Hurts has said he is one of the best leaders they have ever been around...we have seen this year clearly talented players playing poorly...Hurts will hold everyone to a higher standard because he will outwork them...dude is more than just a QB and right now we need that.

42 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Hurts is never going to be Peyton Manning...but he doesn't have to be because that is not what the NFL is these days...we need a playmaker at the QB position and that means a guy who can not just throw but also make something happen out of nothing...not only that but this team as a whole needs more than just a new QB...we need a leader and everyone who has ever came into contact with Hurts has said he is one of the best leaders they have ever been around...we have seen this year clearly talented players playing poorly...Hurts will hold everyone to a higher standard because he will outwork them...dude is more than just a QB and right now we need that.

We need someone who can handle the pressure and the bright lights. I swear that is Mitch's biggest issue he has crumbled under the pressure of this season and "taking the step".

The Ravens are such an impressive organization. They changed on a dime and went from a statue pocket passer to a totally different and innovative style of offense in an offseason and a half.

Incredible what they have done from a personnel and scheme perspective.