How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

22 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

As long as the team continues to draft well (for the most part) and keep adding young talent then they should be able to let their QB develop and give him a fair shot.

Mack will still be a dominant player well into his 30s.  Guy is a freak and isn't going anywhere anytime soon (5 years left on his deal after this year).

Hicks will also be here for the next 2 years at a minimum and at only 29 years old should still be a solid player for the next few years.  Allen Robinson and Kyle Fuller are also younger guys with lots of good football still ahead of them.

As much as people want to believe it is, these next 2 years are not SB year or bust for this team. 

Nagy was brought in specifically to develop Mitch.  We have to let him do that to the full extent and not just give them 26 games together to determine that he's not the right guy.  They invested too much in Mitch to give up this early.

That said, yes, they should have a good back up plan at QB for next year.

Just RELAX.

Wasting any competitive year is a waste, because while you think that Mack and Hicks are going to be what they are now in 2 years we know in the NFL that Mack is one bad step from never being the same.

Added to age are serious upcoming cap restraints, so it is not just age and injury that is going to close the window on this defense.

Defensive windows last 4-5 years. Ask the Bears, Broncos, and Seahawks. We have already wasted 2 of those with a substandard offense and mediocre at best QB.

Pace tied himself to Mitch, so giving up on him is much more difficult.

Which is why we should fire Pace. Then next GM will not be as invested and tied to Mitch and will make dispassionate decisions about him.

Can you imagine if Pace picks up Mitch's 5th year option in some vain hope that he stops sucking? That could be twice as devastating for the franchise.

Pace's investment and connection to Trubisky could be the most devastating part of this.

14 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Wasting any competitive year is a waste, because while you think that Mack and Hicks are going to be what they are now in 2 years we know in the NFL that Mack is one bad step from never being the same.

Added to age are serious upcoming cap restraints, so it is not just age and injury that is going to close the window on this defense.

Defensive windows last 4-5 years. Ask the Bears, Broncos, and Seahawks. We have already wasted 2 of those with a substandard offense and mediocre at best QB.

Yet the Seahawks are still a contender year in year out mainly because of their QB.

What if Pace traded for Mack full well knowing that Mitch would be a long term project and that having a solid and more competitive defense would buy him more time to let his handpicked QB develop into a franchise caliber player?

They went 12-4 last year and are 4-5 with 7 games remaining in 2019.  Let's see how they finish before calling this year a complete failure.

You guys all want a franchise QB but you don't want to go through the growing pains to get one.  

21 hours ago, WindyCity said:

100%

Pace missing on Trubiksy, with the other options available, has set this franchise back years.

He has destroyed whatever credibility he had in terms of the QB position. 

If the next phase of this is about trying again to get the QB spot right, I see no reason he is needed.

Nagy has done almost nothing to advance this team in any winning ways, going forward. He changed the team's attitude (from JOHN FOX) in his first year, and that's completely (or nearly) destroyed now.

Pace built this team.

I can freely understand someone advocating to fire them both, whether I can get behind that, or not. 

But fire Pace and KEEP Nagy? What on earth has Nagy done to deserve that consideration? 

51 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Nagy has done almost nothing to advance this team in any winning ways, going forward. He changed the team's attitude (from JOHN FOX) in his first year, and that's completely (or nearly) destroyed now.

Pace built this team.

I can freely understand someone advocating to fire them both, whether I can get behind that, or not. 

But fire Pace and KEEP Nagy? What on earth has Nagy done to deserve that consideration? 

It doesn't make any sense. They are a package deal clearly. If anything Nagy has shown to be less than advertised given that the offense has been sub par and you could argue that he rode Pace's assembled and Fangio's coached defense to 12-4 and Coach of the year honors last year.

Edited by topwop1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

It doesn't make any sense. They are a package deal clearly. If anything Nagy has shown to be less than advertised given that the offense has been sub par and you could argue that he rode Pace's assembled and Fangio's coached defense to 12-4 and Coach of the year honors last year.

The offense is sub par because they have a bum playing QB.

The offense was competent last year when Mitch was not in total meltdown mode.

You keep Nagy because he is in year 2, not year 5, of his development and he has relevant and useful experience in QB evaluation.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 3:23 PM, WindyCity said:

Pace tied himself to Mitch, so giving up on him is much more difficult.

Which is why we should fire Pace. Then next GM will not be as invested and tied to Mitch and will make dispassionate decisions about him.

What if Pace moves on from Trubisky? 

45 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

What if Pace moves on from Trubisky? 

If the Bears move on from him in the spring, my assumption is the rumors would be true & the McCaskey's will have a lot of belief in him and are essentially giving him another 3 years. He would have walked into their office and admitted fault for the pick.

At that point I'd offer a 4 or 5 for Dalton & let Nagy take his guy in round 2 or 4.

11 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

At that point I'd offer a 4 or 5 for Dalton & let Nagy take his guy in round 2 or 4.

The Bengals look so bad i haven't even watched but maybe 10 minutes of them this season,  and that wasn't because I was interested in them. Lol. Is Dalton declining or is his recent fall more due to laughable talent around him?