How do we fix the QB in 2020

WindyCity

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

My concern is really coming up on what happens at QB next year.

- Tru isn't meshing with the system, and should no longer be part of 2020 plans and beyond. He will be on the roster because the Bears will have $9 mil dead cap if he moves on, unless there is some way to trade him and a 4th for a 5th and they take on his signing bonus, if that is even possible.

- Tua likely would stay at Bama to heal as it sounds like he may redshirt anyway. If he makes it to the late 1st because he declares I would make the move, just as I said I wanted to for Jaylen Smith. But I think he stays, so now all the QBs bump up. Who is available in the 2nd now? Burrow, Herbert were never going to make it out of the 1st even with a healthy Tua. So now who else jumps up? Eason has the arm teams all want, maybe TB moves on from Winston. Or Hurts gets to jump up now too. So who is left? Love isn't someone who will be worth a damn any time soon, Fromm is the most ready mentally but his ceiling is lower IMO. Montez has tools but shouldn't sniff our first pick either. Just not an inspiring group, but there are numerous teams that will need a young QB with Winston, Newton, and Mariota all likely to hit FA.

- With Tru being the expensive reserve, the Bears see that the defense is going to take a step back due to losses in FA. So do they show desperation by snatching up one of the aforementioned guys? Winston is basically what Cutler was portrayed by the media. Newton is a bigger Trubisky, he never has been accurate and now is brittle. Mariota is a guy who should be a reserve, not a starter. Sinking any real money into any of them seems like putting a noose around Pace and Nagy's necks and telling them to watch. Maybe Mariota or Cam will take a 1 year deal to jump their value but still that isn't much of an upgrade at all. Bridgewater is going to get paid but to me he is a system QB only. Manning could be the best QB3 in the NFL potentially. Rivers won't want to leave the east coast.

- Brees and Brady are going nowhere. Not even worth going into more detail.

- Maybe WAS does something and drafts a QB then trades Haskins - like AZ did to Rosen. But will that be an upgrade either?

- Foles has worked with Nagy's system but they aren't eating his cap. Same for Alex Smith (assuming he is healthy anyway in 2020). The Jags may be willing to trade Minshew and go with someone else as the QB2, but I don't want to see him under center for the Bears, especially not for what they likely would want for him.

All in all, the Tua injury really screws the Bears.

Only 1 guy really makes sense. KAEPERNICK 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Ugh. Sign me up for Mariota or Newton first on a one year deal then. Get athleticism and poor accuracy without the clownshow.

Mariota is the same QB as Mitch. Newton is washed up and his best year behind him. 

Kap deserves a shot. The Bears are already a clown show...I don't think Kap makes things any worse.

If you are Pace/Nagy and you are trying to save your job in 2020 you really think Mariota or Newton is going to help do that for you?

I know there aren't many good options that will be available but those two guys won't do squat.

Edited by topwop1

36 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Mariota is the same QB as Mitch. Newton is washed up and his best year behind him. 

Kap deserves a shot. The Bears are already a clown show...I don't think Kap makes things any worse.

He's been out of the game for too long and was mediocre even before then. No way he comes back and is able to play at a decent level.

34 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

If you are Pace/Nagy and you are trying to save your job in 2020 you really think Mariota or Newton is going to help do that for you?

I know there aren't many good options that will be available but those two guys won't do squat.

Not at all, but neither will Kaep. He'd be just as poor a passer, he was even before the layoff. Do you actually think he could come in and play better than those two? And that Nagy would adapt the system to fit his deficiencies?

Any of the three are going to bomb to me.

38 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

The healthiest, most cost effective, most proven would be Andy Dalton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

We need Hurts...this team badly needs a spark and some leadership at QB...I would happily give up our 2021 1st to make it happen...selling your future isn't an issue if it is for a quality QB.

I like Hurts but I wouldn't trade a future 1st for him. Pace should not be allowed to trade any future assets next off season because it might just be his last along with Nagy.

Let them try and sort out this mess that they created without any extra resources.