Shurmur Fired, officially stuck with Dopey Dave thread

Giants4eva

I think hearing more and more chatter about Gettleman not being safe is pretty indicative of Shurmur being a dead man walking. If the conversation from reliable guys like Glazer has shifted to "even Gettleman isn't safe and may be jettisoned", Shurmur is absolutely gone, which is good to hear.

What's more interesting is what this implies. Dan Schneier seems to think that, based on what Glazer said, Gettleman may be gone if the head coach they want wants total autonomy. Someone like Matt Rhule. This would also lend credence to what Tisch said to the media recently in that he and Mara are going to have to sit down and "talk about their entire process" or something similar. Deviating from the classic hire new GM then hire new coach would definitely be a huge change in their process.

Maybe myself and others are reading too far into these comments, but hiring Rhule would be a total win. 

If Gettleman finds a way to stick around, which to be honest I think he's safe as much as I hate to say it, only because of his ability to release Jenkins.  If ownership was looking to cut ties with him or even looking to take a serious look at replacing him, I don't think they would have allowed him to make any additional transactions without explicit permission from the owners.  Perhaps, I'm wrong on this or maybe the owners did authorize it, but I know if I was the owner and was in serious question whether I was replacing the GM, I would have prevented him from making any additional transactions.  Basically a safety mechanism to prevent any more damage to the team...heck if not, he could trade away our draft before it even starts.

Really should change this thread title to include Gettleman as much as we all look forward to Shurmur's departure it's Gettleman that has committed the real crime.  Not really Pat's fault that the GM has him coaching a college team within the pros.   

If Gettleman does manage to stick around, it's going to be difficult finding a talented coach, most likely end up with a "yes" man because no sane coach is going to put up with this GM tactics.

Nor are free agent contracts going to come cheap.  Player's simply don't wanna play for this front office.  I read an article yesterday that had the team cutting ties with basically every player that gettleman's signed.    

5 hours ago, ny92mike said:

If Gettleman does manage to stick around, it's going to be difficult finding a talented coach, most likely end up with a "yes" man because no sane coach is going to put up with this GM tactics.

Nor are free agent contracts going to come cheap.  Player's simply don't wanna play for this front office.  I read an article yesterday that had the team cutting ties with basically every player that gettleman's signed.    

If DG stays then I think it's inevitable we end up with Ron Rivera at HC. Which might be a godsend. Given the sad state of the defense these days a defensive minded HC might do wonders. Considering Shurmur is supposed to be some kind of offensive guru and he struggles to find ways to get one of the most lethal players in the game involved in the offense, or getting an oline to hold their blocks for more then 1.2 secs.

I still believe our personnel on defense aligns more strongly with a 4-3 and considering Rivera has run it most of his career. Give him Chase Young and a couple of decent CB's and I'd be shocked if the defense didn't improve immensely. Again...assuming DG stays. If he's fired then it's basically a total reset coming.

5 hours ago, ny92mike said:

If Gettleman finds a way to stick around, which to be honest I think he's safe as much as I hate to say it, only because of his ability to release Jenkins.  If ownership was looking to cut ties with him or even looking to take a serious look at replacing him, I don't think they would have allowed him to make any additional transactions without explicit permission from the owners.  Perhaps, I'm wrong on this or maybe the owners did authorize it, but I know if I was the owner and was in serious question whether I was replacing the GM, I would have prevented him from making any additional transactions.  Basically a safety mechanism to prevent any more damage to the team...heck if not, he could trade away our draft before it even starts.

Really should change this thread title to include Gettleman as much as we all look forward to Shurmur's departure it's Gettleman that has committed the real crime.  Not really Pat's fault that the GM has him coaching a college team within the pros.   

I got ya covered buddyB|

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Giants4eva said:

Well 1 week left. Im still hoping on black Monday. I dont think after that last win against the Redskins anyone is safe at all on this staff. 

I’m not endorsing it, but if we beat the Eagles Shurmur may save his job. Especially is DJ looks good again.

The defensive staff should all be fired regardless. 

If any of you guys are interested I'll be running my annual mock draft again after the season is over.  

I'm looking to run the war room a bit different this year.  Apologies for the formatting.  This is pulled straight from the guidelines doc.

Membership

• As General Manager, you are given “total control” to manage your team either; independently without the help from a team staff or as a group effort, either by members of your choosing or by creating a war room thread within your team’s sub-forum and assign your staff with position titles, responsibilities and to the level of control you are willing to provide them.

Note:  Just giving members the ability to scout without any real control isn’t really any fun for them, so put some thought into how you will manage your franchise. 

• If you elect to run your franchise as a group here is a suggestion for setting it up, that does a couple of things; spreads out the workload and gives the “coaching staff” more control.

• Total Control War Room, where those that want to be involved have “total control” to manage their assigned position.  Since this is a new concept I’ll explain in more detail.  

The idea behind this is that not all members within the group are going to commit to the same level of participation but giving them more control could change that.    Unlike in previous mocks the positions of Head Coach and Coordinators never really carried much value, as these were just titles that simply stated their level of participation.  Where with this system, titles give you certain levels of “control” While some GM’s may not like or want to give up this much control, the individual owner/operator would likely be the best choice for you.

• General Manager
    • Director of College Scouting

• Asst. GM (Determined by GM)

• These are your scouting gurus that know the draft well enough to find the talent in the later rounds.  As they will make the teams final two draft selections in rounds 6 and 7. 

• Director of Player Personnel

• Pairs with the GM in finding potential trades.

• Must be able to negotiate a deal with not only the other team but the coaches holding the draft picks on your own team. 

• Provided the option to make the team’s 5th draft pick selection.

• Defensive Coordinator

• Total Control over which defensive players are scouted in both the fa and draft.

• Given the choice to select the team’s 3rd or 4th draft pick (to be determined by the GM)

• Offensive Coordinator 

• Total Control over which offensive players are scouted in both the free agency and the draft.

• Given the choice to select the team’s 3rd or 4th draft pick (to be determined by the GM)

• Head Coach

• Liaison between the coaching staff and GM.

• Works with the GM to create contract offers based on the information and scouting reporting from coaching staff.  

• Given the choice to make the teams 2nd draft selection.

• Hires coaching staff.

• Assigns an assistant General Manager (either HC or director of Player Personnel or College Scouting)

• Manages any voided coaching staff positions (hire or control).

• Determines the first pick selection in the draft, not necessarily the first round pick as some teams may not have one.

• Determines the financial spending limits for each position within the free agency; or with smaller war rooms, it could be broken down into offense, defense, special teams.

•  

Edited by ny92mike

Well there we go. It’ll be another 4 years before a winning record. Gonna be hard to find a HC willing to work with Gettleman period, much less Gettleman when he’s on a hot seat from the depths of Hades. 

This may be an unpopular take, but I would rather keep them both than hire a new HC with a hot seat GM. Maybe they shake things up and only have Gettleman in charge of draft. Give HC  control of roster and someone else control of FA. I do not trust DG with $70M in cap space. We will not get a single FA contributor

Edited by Kodaraw

The front office really just needs to clean house...Starting with Gettleman.

Pat Shurmur wouldn't necessarily be my pick as a head coach, but I can't put this teams failure all on him or even half of it.  He's only working with the talent that was given him.  All of this falls on the GM and the talent he removed and added over the past two years.

If one of these members had to remain, it would be Pat.  Would of fired Gettleman the minute he was talking about trading Odell after signing him to a massive extension, actually before that.  When he thought it was best to switch to a 34 defense is when I would had shown him the door.

His management of the salary cap is horrible.  Did you guys know that both Ellison and Solder's contracts were restructured this year?  Most likely due to the amount of dead money accumulated.  Ogletree converted 7 million in base last season...again likely due to the amount of dead money.

Has there been one addition from the free agency that has worked out?  The contracts he made this past offseason, will likely just add to the amount of dead money this year as I don't expect many of them to be around next season.  

Seriously, what kind of coach are we going to end up with, with Gettleman still in charge.  Another "yes" man, you'd have to be pretty desperate for a job to join this team under Gettleman.  Pretty sure the players in free agency are smart enough to figure this out too.

Let us not forget why he was selected and that was to fix the offensive line issues...which he clearly has not done. 

Only goes downhill from here boys.