Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Texansfan713

Bill O'Brien Hot Seat Thread

Recommended Posts

I agree this is mostly Rick Smith's fault. He ought to be fired today. Worst OTs ever maybe. 

OB tho, he had to know the OL was garbage right? Like, this is the fourth year now and I've gotta say the first three were less than inspiring offensively, and those were WITH Duane Brown and Derek Newton in there. Sometimes you need a little smoke a mirrors. Couple screen passes, reverses, misdirection.. we don't do nunna that ****. A part of me is kind of hoping we continue to flail around so that we can actually justify moving on from him. 

If we play like we did in that game every week, there's not a chance in hell OB makes it to midseason. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So my question is, if the Texans fire Bill O'Brien, does that make Romeo Crennel the head coach and Mike Vrabel the defensive coordinator going forward or just the interims?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Crickett said:

So my question is, if the Texans fire Bill O'Brien, does that make Romeo Crennel the head coach and Mike Vrabel the defensive coordinator going forward or just the interims?

Interim for sure, not sure how Vrabel is going to do at DC yet, but if yesterday is any indication, he isn't going to be good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the schedule is not going to be kind to BOB

Bengals in Prime TIme, which we all know we are cursed

Patriots

Titans

Chiefs

 

we could legit be 0-5 at this point going into a Browns game where they are all smiles knowing they have our draft pick in rounds 1 and 2

 

is there anyway that we start 0-5 and dont fire BOB?

Our bye week is after the Browns game, I would say if we are 0-6 then he is gone without a doubt. RAC takes over.

We can salvage the season if we can get a win against the Bengals and Browns and then beat one of the Titans, Patriots, Chiefs, with the Titans probably being the only realistic shot we have. That puts us at 3-3 going into the bye. 

finding 6 more wins might be tough though. Colts look terrible so we might get 2 there. 49ers are tanking so thats a 3rd win. We would need to beat 3 of the Titans, Rams, jags and Cards to have a shot at 9-7 and that probably wins the division for us. 

Honestly though I think the Jags might take it this year. The Titans didnt look that impressive this week. The Jags were the best version of themselves this week against us on D, but I think they can legit be a top 5 D this year. They are loaded with talent. The offense has a solid line and some good skill players. If Bortles can just play smart football, they have a good shot at 9 wins. 

they get to play the Colts x2, 49ers, Rams, Jets, Bengals, Browns, and Chargers. they can win all those games. Then they still get Titans x2, Texans, and Cardinals. 

this might be the year of the Jaguar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Bengals in Prime TIme, which we all know we are cursed

Over in the Bengals forum, they're in the same mood as we are - convinced that their done after their 20-0 loss to the Ravens. They're really rallying against Andy Dalton, who apparently is as bad as Houston in prime time.

I'm not putting any carts before any horses here, but I might actually be watching something else on Thursday. This is gonna be some bad football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not trying to troll at all, so don't take this the wrong way, but does not having either a first or second rounder next year impact whether BoB stays?

Id have to think it would be hard to bring in a "splash" guy with limited means of improving the roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Not trying to troll at all, so don't take this the wrong way, but does not having either a first or second rounder next year impact whether BoB stays?

Id have to think it would be hard to bring in a "splash" guy with limited means of improving the roster.

I think you have to fire the GM and in order to give a legit chance to the next GM, you allow him to pick your HC, OR you go with someone like Harbaugh and allow them to have full control of the team. Either way, both Smith and OB need to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

I think you have to fire the GM and in order to give a legit chance to the next GM, you allow him to pick your HC, OR you go with someone like Harbaugh and allow them to have full control of the team. Either way, both Smith and OB need to go.

No, I agree, but with the lack of picks do you think that buys them a lame duck year?

I mean, would a high level candidate want a job with no 1st or 2nd to work with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No, I agree, but with the lack of picks do you think that buys them a lame duck year?

I mean, would a high level candidate want a job with no 1st or 2nd to work with?

JJ Watt, Watson, Hopkins is an enticing prospect for any wannabe HC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

JJ Watt, Watson, Hopkins is an enticing prospect for any wannabe HC.

For some, absolutely.

Others may not be enamored with Watson (everyone has their own opinion on QB's) and Watt's value may be decreased due to age and wear and tear.

I'm not saying it's a terrible situation devoid of any talent, just that waiting a year may make the job of landing a top tier talent easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No, I agree, but with the lack of picks do you think that buys them a lame duck year?

I mean, would a high level candidate want a job with no 1st or 2nd to work with?

Depends on the candidate. We're not luring a guy like Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden out of the booth (which is ALWAYS a rumor heading into Black Monday) and we're probably not getting a guy like Jim Harbaugh to leave Michigan - where he makes an NFL level salary for maybe 2/3rd the work. If there a coordinator who is looking to break out into the HC ranks, they might also be scared off by the thought (so someone like a Matt Patricia isn't on the table). College has always been a place to find guys, and Dabo Swinney makes too much sense given the pro-Clemson make-up of the roster...but doubt he leaves what has been a great place for him.

This all being said - I think people see the length of leash that Bob McNair has had for all three of his HCs. You don't get fired from Houston unless you totally tank (both Gary Kubiak and Dom Capers were fired for 2-14 campaigns, despite not being terribly successful in their runs). That probably works in the teams' favor, an owner who is hands off (but Cal McNair might offset that, as he's starting to come off as very hands on). You also have a city which is dedicated to Football; Both the Houston Astros and Houston Rockets boast elite, playoff ready teams, but the majority of Houston are Texans fans first (not that we don't love the 'stros or Rockets, just that the Texans are the favorite sons in Houston).

Ultimately - I think if we're in the market for a new HC, it's possible we keep to names who have experience as a HC. Last two guys were fresh on the HC scene and their inexperience showed. I think somebody who has been there before as a HC, understands how to construct a roster and manage a coaching staff would be best pressed for HC in Houston. 

Not sure who'd that would be, but there it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Over in the Bengals forum, they're in the same mood as we are - convinced that their done after their 20-0 loss to the Ravens. They're really rallying against Andy Dalton, who apparently is as bad as Houston in prime time.

I'm not putting any carts before any horses here, but I might actually be watching something else on Thursday. This is gonna be some bad football.

If O'Brien goes back to Savage starting then I'm not watching a single minute of the game Thursday.  Im actually off that day too. I'll just do something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×