Bill O'Brien Hot Seat Thread

Texansfan713

7 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I will say this was the best play calling we've ever had in a game. 

Will Fuller is a huge piece of this offense. His speed opens up so much on the field - and you saw it with the things Lamar Miller was able to do with his runs and receptions.

Never mind he had a boss return - he was keeping that Titans D very honest. You couldn't even show an 8 man front because Fuller can toast you.

53 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Why the hell cant O'Brien call plays like this on a weekly basis?  Seeing this offense in person was much fun. 

It's the first time he's had a full compliment of everything - both RBs, both WRs, and a QB who could take advantage of it. 

I have to apologize bc I was really starting to doubt OB's "system". But that Jags game, and being shut out to the damn saints, and being shut out to the pats last year was just so heartbreaking

I'm really curious to see what happens next week though. I just hope everybody stays healthy

12 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2017/10/04/texans-obrien-watson-starting-qb-preseason/

Thoughts on this? Certainly changes the narrative a bit.

It could be true, but why would Smith not be pushing for his 1st round guy that can save his job in favor of a guy like Savage who was going to cost him his job?

Unless Mcnair assured Smith he was keeping his job even if they fired BOB, i dont see how this would make any sense. 

8 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Unless Mcnair assured Smith he was keeping his job even if they fired BOB, i dont see how this would make any sense. 

Smith is the godfather of Cal's children. He's not going anywhere. We may riot, we may hit up Twitter and Facebook to express our dislike, we could even protest outside of NRG - Smith is going nowhere until it hits the bottom line of the team earnings.

I'm certain (but can't confirm) that Smith probably inherits a portion of the team once Bob McNair passes away. He's that ingrained into the McNair family.

13 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2017/10/04/texans-obrien-watson-starting-qb-preseason/

Thoughts on this? Certainly changes the narrative a bit.

Not sure how much I buy this. For one, there always seems to be anonymous sources spinning BOB as some kind of genius after the fact when it comes to making decisions (which makes it looks highly suspicious that this guy always has the right idea and is never wrong). Also, BOB decides who plays.

The article says that BOB wanted to promote Watson to starter after his performance in week 1 of the preseason, which wasn't anything close spectacular, and that doesn't make a lot of sense. After taking no first team reps in practice and then having an above average performance against backups, who in their right mind would name a rookie QB the starter outright? I would get it if he was more confident in Watson after his performance and decided to open up the battle a little more by giving him first team reps in practice and then series' against first stringers in the subsequent preseason games and then making a decision on who the starter would be after Week 3 of the preseason. I just don't find the story laid out in the article believable. If BOB he really wanted start Watson after week 1 of the preseason he would have, he makes the call, not Smith (he also would have given him some reps with the first team the rest of training camp, which he didn't).

On 10/6/2017 at 10:40 AM, EliteTexan80 said:

Smith is the godfather of Cal's children. He's not going anywhere. We may riot, we may hit up Twitter and Facebook to express our dislike, we could even protest outside of NRG - Smith is going nowhere until it hits the bottom line of the team earnings.

I'm certain (but can't confirm) that Smith probably inherits a portion of the team once Bob McNair passes away. He's that ingrained into the McNair family.

The only way we get rid of him is at GM, when Cal bumps him to a higher made up position within the org

• 4 weeks later...

Archived