Bill O'Brien Hot Seat Thread

Texansfan713

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

again,  while I agree Smith was the problem.  It wasn't 100 percent on him.  O'Brien has had some say in the roster as well.  He deserves as much blame as making this roster crap.  He doesn't have an eye for talent and he cant develop talent. 

I don't believe for a second he didn't have a say in bringing in Fitzpatrick, Hoyer, and Mallett. 

Nothing is ever 100% on any single individual, but Smith has been a fixture of roster issues since the Kubiak days. It's not a stretch to believe that the issues he had with Kubiak followed him during the O'Brien era - missing on draft picks, letting quality FAs walk, signing marginal players to deals over their marker value. 

I'm not saying OB is without fault, but we've seen HCs lose with Smith and then win a SB with another GM. 

54 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Nothing is ever 100% on any single individual, but Smith has been a fixture of roster issues since the Kubiak days. It's not a stretch to believe that the issues he had with Kubiak followed him during the O'Brien era - missing on draft picks, letting quality FAs walk, signing marginal players to deals over their marker value. 

I'm not saying OB is without fault, but we've seen HCs lose with Smith and then win a SB with another GM. 

Really, we don't mention that these Texans have Super Bowl rings and Rick Smith and Bill O'Brien don't nearly enough.

• Brock Osweiler

• Gary Kubiak
  • Wade Phillips
  • Rick Dennison
  • Greg Knapp
  • Larry Izzo
  • Romeo Crennel
  • Mike Vrabel
  • Robert Saleh
  • Mike Munchak
  • Dom Capers

• Breno Giacomini
  • Owen Daniels
  • James Casey
  • Shiloh Keo
  • Antonio Smith
  • Ryan Harris 
  • Eugene Wilson
  • Chris Jones
  • Don Jones
  • Vince Wilfork
  • Nate Washington
  • Jacoby Jones
  • Vonta Leach
  • Ed Reed
  • Cato June
  • Derrick Ward

(did I leave out anyone?)

*technically Rick Smith got two as an Assistant Defensive Backs coach in 97-98, but we're talking about his job as an executive.

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Kubiak wasn't the reason the Broncos won the SB.  The pieces were already in place.  The reason the Broncos won the SB is because they had an all time dominant defense. Kubiak just fell in a good situation that year. Kubiak's only success has been when he hired Phillips as his DC with the exception of his last season here when he lost the lockerroom and Schaub imploding.

now that Smith is gone, we are going to see first hand that OBrien has had some say in personnel decisions. We cant use the Rick Smith excuse anymore should O Brien miss the playoffs again.

So with BoB safe I am eagerly awaiting the hiring of the departed assistant coaches. ST coach, RB coach, DB coach. I haven't heard any names and not sure where we will get these new coaches from. Has anyone heard any names for assistant coaches for the texans? 

Coaches are a big part of football and these hires will be important for our success in 2018. With the senior bowl coming up I'm expecting some hires soon..

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Kubiak wasn't the reason the Broncos won the SB.  The pieces were already in place.  The reason the Broncos won the SB is because they had an all time dominant defense. Kubiak just fell in a good situation that year. Kubiak's only success has been when he hired Phillips as his DC with the exception of his last season here when he lost the lockerroom and Schaub imploding

But you're watching that exact same Denver defense struggle to go 5-11 this past year with Vance Joseph at the helm. The QB situation is horrendous, but let's not pretend that Peyton Manning was playing to his normal standards his last year.

1 hour ago, OzzyTexan said:

Coaches are a big part of football and these hires will be important for our success in 2018. With the senior bowl coming up I'm expecting some hires soon..

I'm a bit surprised we haven't even heard a name come up. Given that DB is such a dire need, you'd think getting in a DB coach would be top of mind.

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

now that Smith is gone, we are going to see first hand that OBrien has had some say in personnel decisions. We cant use the Rick Smith excuse anymore should O Brien miss the playoffs again.

I agree with this. Gaine isn't telling BOB who to pick. BOB is telling Gaine what to do. If that fails, it's on BOB.

14 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

RIck Smith isn’t the reason we lost 31-0 to the Chiefs, he’s not the reason we lost to Seattle and New England because of poor clock management. 

BOB is just as much if not more to blame 

BOB can be blamed for the in game decisions. 

The absence of NFL starter quality on the depth chart is largely down to Smith. 

Smith has been at this for over a decade with minimal success, I'm willing to give BOB another shot.

3 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Smith has been at this for over a decade with minimal success, I'm willing to give BOB another shot.

I cant think of many players who have actually developed under BOB. You can blame smith for making bad draft picks, but players have not developed under BOB. Just look at the offensive players we have drafted under BOB. He's not done anything with any of them. 

2014 Draft:

Filo has been starting for years and is the worst Guard in football

Tom Savage....enough said

Alfred Blue has been terrible too

Fido has been over hyped, over paid and over injuried

Prosch, well hes a FB so it is what it is

2015 Draft:

Strong and Mumphrey are not even on the roster anymore

Hillard, did he ever play for us?

2016 Draft:

Will Fuller - perhaps he has a bright future? but hes been inconsistent and injuried

Nick Martin - injury after Injury. looked decent this year, but had some issues

Braxton Miller - The guy has been a bust, and he has all kinds of potential

Tyler Ervin - All we hear about is how hes got this speed and 3rd down back/slot WR potential and we get nothing

2017 Draft:

Its way too soon to tell anything about this group, but let me just mention one guy

Deshaun Watson - a once in a generation talent and he leaves him with the 2nd string for an entire off season

Also, i know injuries are a part of the game, but the injury problems we have faced during BOB's tenure are piling up at a rate where you have to wonder what he is doing and why our guys are all so fragile. Everyone of our young offensive guys that we have drafted, who have played exclusively for BOB have missed significant time, except FILO.....who we wish did....

I am starting to think that its poor training, poor technique leading to in game injuries....like the one to Will Fuller that was all on Savage. 

defense hasnt been much better, but at least some guys like Clowney, McKinney and Cunningham have developed into long term starters. 

The regression of some guys is mind blowing. 

4 hours ago, texans_uk said:

You cant seriously believe that.  O'Brien is just trying to save face so he can look good.  Even my boys on 790 during drive time tend to believe the same thing I have been trying to preach. O'Brien has as much blame on the roster as Smith. 

42 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

You cant seriously believe that.  O'Brien is just trying to save face so he can look good.  Even my boys on 790 during drive time tend to believe the same thing I have been trying to preach. O'Brien has as much blame on the roster as Smith. 

I disagree with this - as does the 610 crew. The roster was a creation of Rick Smith, which is what led to the dissention between the two to begin with.

Remember, the narrative was that BOB was going to the McNair's and dropping a "he goes or I go" ultimatum to Bob and Cal prior to the leave of absence Smith took. This isn't because Smith impacted in game decision, it's because the two didn't see on the same wavelength in terms of roster. O'Brien dropped some not-so-subtle hints at it this entire season, saying things like "I coach the guys I got, that's it," pretty much every time Colin Kaepernick or Duane Brown was mentioned - if you read between the lines on those statements, it's blatantly saying "I don't want many of these guys, but I don't make those calls." BOB goes on with the narrative as well, using words like "alignment" in discussing the new GM.

Short story is - BOB didn't like what Smith was suggesting to him in terms of personnel, Smith didn't like being second guessed, and boom we have conflict.

22 hours ago, OzzyTexan said:

So with BoB safe I am eagerly awaiting the hiring of the departed assistant coaches. ST coach, RB coach, DB coach. I haven't heard any names and not sure where we will get these new coaches from. Has anyone heard any names for assistant coaches for the texans? 

We are competing with Gruden to hire Cowboys RB coach (former Oiler's RB) Gary Brown.  My interview would be 5 questions long.

1. Do you think running Lamar Miller over guard or center on 1st down is a good idea?
  2. Do you think running Lamar Miller over guard or center on 2nd down is a good idea?
  3. Do you think running Lamar Miller over guard or center on 3rd down is a good idea?
  4. Do you think running Lamar Miller over guard or center on 4th down is a good idea?
  5. If No, what would you do different? If yes, what time does your flight leave?

BTW - In other former Oilers RB news, the Browns hired Alonzo Highsmith (Packers) as VP/Pro Personnel. 

3 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

We are competing with Gruden to hire Cowboys RB coach (former Oiler's RB) Gary Brown

Feels like a Vrabel or BOB hire. How good of a coach are you if you're coaching Zeke Elliott, running behind the Dallas OL?

Archived