Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mwalker

I love what Minkah has added to this team

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, mwalker said:

Great trade.

this team needed a legit safety, and they finally got one. The secondary is decent now, 3/4 of the starters are UFA. Hint to colbert, don't waste high RD picks on the secondary since you can't draft DB's that good. 

The part I don't like is that they are playing more zone now, which will be doom vs top tier QB's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a while since the Steelers have had a play making safety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

last time we had a DB not named troy with 5 or more picks? minka already has 3 with us

like this addition, will love it if we get some more wins, so that pick is in the teens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still needs to improve his tackling and pursuit angles, but this defense finally got the centerfielder and playmaker its desperately missed.  Too bad we have nothing remotely decent next to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Still needs to improve his tackling and pursuit angles, but this defense finally got the centerfielder and playmaker its desperately missed.  Too bad we have nothing remotely decent next to him.

Edmunds has been a letdown, but we know he is the guaranteed starter for this year and then 2 more years maybe 3.   Tackling in general isn't good, almost unwatchable , like so much else these days (celebrations, blocking, refs, announcers, etc). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for all of you who did not like this trade...Ppphhfffffffffff! B|

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, jebrick said:

for all of you who did not like this trade...Ppphhfffffffffff! B|

I still think it was dumb to make the trade when they did, but if we finish with a pick outside the top 10, it will be pretty worthwhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I still think it was dumb to make the trade when they did, but if we finish with a pick outside the top 10, it will be pretty worthwhile.

I don't think you find an equal centerfielder type where we're drafting.
Delpit will be gone. And I think you could debate him or Minkah, anyway.
I guess we could argue we'll need another position more at 12-14 (I think our
pick will outside of 10), but I still think it was a very good trade.

I haven't given up on Edmunds like some. Maybe I'm just hoping, but it will be
interesting to see what we do in round 2 if McKinney is there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mwalker said:

I don't think you find an equal centerfielder type where we're drafting.
Delpit will be gone. And I think you could debate him or Minkah, anyway.
I guess we could argue we'll need another position more at 12-14 (I think our
pick will outside of 10), but I still think it was a very good trade.

I haven't given up on Edmunds like some. Maybe I'm just hoping, but it will be
interesting to see what we do in round 2 if McKinney is there.

I agree we wont find a great centerfielder.    If he continues doing what he is doing with his ball skills and cleans up some of his game, he will be very worth it.

Lets also remember he isnt even 23 yet, so he hasnt even hit his prime.  

I just think it was dumb to make the trade when they did because it was such a huge risk.   Right after Ben went down, defense looked terrible, and we needed alot more than just a safety.   Plus, Minkah didnt look good early on with the Fins, and even here he has had some issues, albeit he has played a role in this defense we have really needed.

Bottom line....the Steelers took a huge risk and it looks like it may pay off....but sometimes the difference between looking foolish and looking brilliant is luck.

As far as Edmunds, I never had much hope for him to begin with.  He was an awful awful pick, just like Burns several years ago.     He would need to fix too much about his game for him to be what we really need next to Minkah.     They will definitely give him another year next year because we will be short on picks and cap space, but he isnt the long term answer.    If he turns it around, I will gladly eat crow....I just dont see it happening.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I agree we wont find a great centerfielder.    If he continues doing what he is doing with his ball skills and cleans up some of his game, he will be very worth it.

Lets also remember he isnt even 23 yet, so he hasnt even hit his prime.  

I just think it was dumb to make the trade when they did because it was such a huge risk.   Right after Ben went down, defense looked terrible, and we needed alot more than just a safety.   Plus, Minkah didnt look good early on with the Fins, and even here he has had some issues, albeit he has played a role in this defense we have really needed.

Bottom line....the Steelers took a huge risk and it looks like it may pay off....but sometimes the difference between looking foolish and looking brilliant is luck.

As far as Edmunds, I never had much hope for him to begin with.  He was an awful awful pick, just like Burns several years ago.     He would need to fix too much about his game for him to be what we really need next to Minkah.     They will definitely give him another year next year because we will be short on picks and cap space, but he isnt the long term answer.    If he turns it around, I will gladly eat crow....I just dont see it happening.  

Yep. Fair.
I do think Minkah now looks like the top pick he was. And he'll only get better.
Changing the subject slightly...five picks I think could be interesting in round 2 (our first pick):
(I think Moncrief and Hargrave are gone)

Marvin Wilson DT, FSU
Anfernee Jennings, OLB, Alabama
Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah
Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU
Laviska Shinault, WR, Colorado
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I agree we wont find a great centerfielder.    If he continues doing what he is doing with his ball skills and cleans up some of his game, he will be very worth it. 

Lets also remember he isnt even 23 yet, so he hasnt even hit his prime.  

I just think it was dumb to make the trade when they did because it was such a huge risk.   Right after Ben went down, defense looked terrible, and we needed alot more than just a safety.   Plus, Minkah didnt look good early on with the Fins, and even here he has had some issues, albeit he has played a role in this defense we have really needed.

Bottom line....the Steelers took a huge risk and it looks like it may pay off....but sometimes the difference between looking foolish and looking brilliant is luck.

As far as Edmunds, I never had much hope for him to begin with.  He was an awful awful pick, just like Burns several years ago.     He would need to fix too much about his game for him to be what we really need next to Minkah.     They will definitely give him another year next year because we will be short on picks and cap space, but he isnt the long term answer.    If he turns it around, I will gladly eat crow....I just dont see it happening.  

:Thumbs Up:  👍

:Thumbs Up:  👍

It was a risk, but I do not feel it was as big of one as your feel it was, but hey, hindsight is 20/20, I know.  Believe it or don't, but I honestly felt it was a reasonable gamble from the get go; it was widely known that the Dolphins asked him to play out of 'position' for most of the season, so far, so I wasn't worried about his potential...I was more worried that Butler/Tomlin would misuse him, as well.

True, but again...the gamble was easily worth it.  He's displayed 'top 10' talent, quite a bit, last season, with the Dolphins.

And yes, I'm afraid we are stuck with Edmunds.  I thought he was slowly progressing, but it appears that he's likely as good as he'll ever be, and were he a day 3 pick, I have no doubts that his job would be in jeopardy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Bottom line....the Steelers took a huge risk and it looks like it may pay off....but sometimes the difference between looking foolish and looking brilliant is luck.

As far as Edmunds, I never had much hope for him to begin with.  He was an awful awful pick, just like Burns several years ago.     He would need to fix too much about his game for him to be what we really need next to Minkah.     They will definitely give him another year next year because we will be short on picks and cap space, but he isnt the long term answer.    If he turns it around, I will gladly eat crow....I just dont see it happening

the trade for Minkah might have been a "risk" but the facts are he is a proven legit starter which is why I liked the trade. Add to that, colbert hasn't drafted DB's of starting calibre for ages, I mean he has been terrible  for the most part.  I haven't liked Edmunds  missed tackles and he rarely seems to get his name mentioned and for a SS that's not good. He was a reach and I doubt he ever approaches the next Troy or Lake that's for sure.  If they could trade him and get a legit SS  it would help the secondary, but we know he is starting here for 5  years like it or not. 

Do you see Edmunds as nearly as bad a jarvis or burns though? I didn't think he was that bad, but thought I would ask. The aforementioned shouldn't be in the league, got a few extra years due to being a RD1 pick. Huey richardson class that's for sure. 

With trades, what I prefer is the end result of the player they got as opposed to the potential of the would be draft picks. Thats due mostly to colbert's recent track record, he can have all the picks he wants, but will waste most of them.  This last draft was decent though, but he gave up too much some could argue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mwalker said:

Minkah! 

 if Davis didn't get hurt, this thread wouldn't exist and the D would have issues.  With a legit centerfielder , there is always the chance for a Int, and the improved stats show this.  On pace for 40 TO's, and that's considering the much better opposition the steelers have faced. The TO total could be higher, that's what I am waiting to see.  

The last time they had 40 TO's was 1996, back when the zone blitz was still new and remember that secondary was talented.   43 in 1992

2018 steelers  had 15 TO's O.o

 

On pace for 58 sacks and 42 TO's and that's based on all the good teams faced thru the first half of the season.   Will the team reach these numbers ?

 

Edited by 3rivers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×