Bengals benching QB Andy Dalton; starting rookie Ryan Finley

RaidersAreOne

10 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Dalton is taking 50 hits a game. So the logical thing to do is blame Dalton instead of doing a better job as a GM to protect him.

We're not scapegoating him as much as we're just ready to move on as a franchise. Many teams would have given up on Dalton years ago. We've absolutely exhausted every effort in making the Dalton experience work, but we can't consistently surround him with the supporting cast he needs to succeed. He's not the problem, but he's part of the problem. We need to see what we have in Finley before turning our attention to the 2020 draft.

10 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Should've made this decision a week ago to give his agent time to seek a trade.

It would have been a nice gesture, but appeasing Dalton is secondary to what is best for the team in the long run. We don't know if there was a market, and even if there was, we don't know if the compensation offered would be more valuable than keep to keep him as a mentor for the year. We can always trade him this off season. You also need to consider the timing of the bye week. The team understandably wanted to give Finley an extra week with the first team by waiting for the bye, which happened to coincide with the trade deadline. It was bad timing, but it was coincidental if you ask me.

Edited by SmittyBacall

2 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

We're not scapegoating him as much as we're just ready to move on as a franchise. Many teams would have given up on Dalton years ago. We've absolutely exhausted every effort in making the Dalton experience work, but we can't consistently surround him with the supporting cast he needs to succeed. He's not the problem, but he's part of the problem. We need to see what we have in Finley before turning our attention to the 2020 draft.

It would have been a nice gesture, but appeasing Dalton is secondary to what is best for the team in the long run. We don't know if there was a market, and even if there was, we don't know if the compensation offered would be more valuable than keep him as a mentor for the year. We can always trade him this off season. You also need to consider the timing of the bye week. The team understandably wanted to give Finley an extra week with the first team by waiting for the bye. It was bad timing, but it was coincidental if you ask me.

Tbh, it's a lot of scapegoating because I'd be surprised if they simply release him in the offseason, I expect them to dangle him out for trade when they could've traded him before the deadline.

Yeah they don't know the market because they didnt try to find out which is idiotic. The Bengals are an organization riddled with constant poor management decisons. That's why they're 0-8. If they cared about winning at all theyd have gone out and got an offensive lineman to protect their QB before the deadline. For the love of God, I understand their LT went on IR but the Bengals OL is close to the worst in the NFL. Hard to succeed as a QB when you got 0.1 seconds to throw the ball every time its snapped.

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

If they cared about winning at all theyd have gone out and got an offensive lineman to protect their QB before the deadline.

Why would we sacrifice future picks that we desperately need to try and revive a lost season? Our winning window is rapidly closing. There's no debating it, we are an inept franchise. But that's not how you rebuild. 

5 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

For the love of God, I understand their LT went on IR but the Bengals OL is close to the worst in the NFL. Hard to succeed as a QB when you got 0.1 seconds to throw the ball every time its snapped.

This just isn't true. Our line is terrible at run blocking, but at least okay at pass blocking. I think we're ranked 18th or so in terms of pressure rate. 

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Yeah they don't know the market because they didnt try to find out which is idiotic. The Bengals are an organization riddled with constant poor management decisons. That's why they're 0-8. If they cared about winning at all theyd have gone out and got an offensive lineman to protect their QB before the deadline. For the love of God, I understand their LT went on IR but the Bengals OL is close to the worst in the NFL. Hard to succeed as a QB when you got 0.1 seconds to throw the ball every time its snapped.

As @TheVillain112 pointed out in some other threads, the Bengals are ranked in the middle of the pack in terms of pressures allowed/dropback.  They're not a horrible pass blocking group.  They really suck at run blocking, but pass blocking is ok.

Also - yes, they make a lot of poor management decisions.  But also also also, there were no linemen available at the deadline.  In case you haven't looked around the league, line play is a crisis around the league.  No one is selling OL assets. 

35 minutes ago, theJ said:

I can't wait for the Bengals to announce the new deal with AJ Green.  I should have been bookmarking all the comments from everyone saying there's no way he's going to sign, or he's stupid to resign, etc.

To be fair given what's apparently waiting for him in 2020 and beyond , a HC who seems lost,  No OL, No FQB , No playoffs in sight, Rebuilding , He would be!

Feel free to Bookmark this one away , please!

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

To be fair given what's apparently waiting for him in 2020 and beyond , a HC who seems lost,  No OL, No FQB , No playoffs in sight, Rebuilding , He would be!

Feel free to Bookmark this one away , please!

I'm too lazy.  That particular claim is a long game.

I think history will be on AJ's side if he resigns and retires a Bengal.  Just like it is with Larry Fitzgerald or other similar greats who stayed in a bad situation rather than bolt for money or fame.  When he resigns, i'll respect him more, not less.

• Like 1

The Bengals will certainly tag AJ if they don't have a new deal agreed to by the deadline in February. So he's not going anywhere. Same could be said of the team. It will be interesting to see how many coaches are let go and if the team decides to participate in higher level free agency (about a once a decade phenomenon).