Bengals benching QB Andy Dalton; starting rookie Ryan Finley

RaidersAreOne

Hooboy Dalton ain't happy. So wonky. 

Vet QB Dalton has more passing yards than Brady. Winless team is giving up the most sacks in the league tho.

Not the best time to throw a rookie into the fire. But it does make sense from the "nothing else has worked...let's see what the rookie can do" perspective. 

I don't think the Bengals/Dalton missed out on any 2019 oppt's, not even sure there were any
2020 is a different story, but I can't come up with a viable reason to give up a 2nd for Dalton.
He'd be a really tough sell on the PR side and he's too expensive to be a back- up or a mentor.

What team is going to try to sell Andy as the shiny new starter ? 
Chicago isn't going to move on from Mitch, just to bring in Andy... that's a non-starter even though its a clear upgrade.

break glass in case of emergency seems like the most likely scenario for a Dalton trade

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

I don't think the Bengals/Dalton missed out on any 2019 oppt's, not even sure there were any
2020 is a different story, but I can't come up with a viable reason to give up a 2nd for Dalton.
He'd be a really tough sell on the PR side and he's too expensive to be a back- up or a mentor.

What team is going to try to sell Andy as the shiny new starter ? 
Chicago isn't going to move on from Mitch, just to bring in Andy... that's a non-starter even though its a clear upgrade.

break glass in case of emergency seems like the most likely scenario for a Dalton trade

From the "break glass" context, would you have been okay with the Packer's FO giving up a 3rd and 5th or something similar for Andy this year in week 2 if another Barr-induced clavicle crack had happened? 

Is he worth a 2nd or 3rd/5th for a 10-12 week fill-in if you believe your starter will be back for the playoffs?

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And didn't AJ Green just say today he doesn't want to be franchised? I took that as "I'm playing this season and then getting the hell out of here while I still can".

Yeah they really don't. They absolutely should have announced that decision earlier so that he could be traded.

He also said in the same interview that he wants a deal and wants to stay and that he's happy in Cincinnati, regardless of whether they win or lose.

So...i think you took that wrong lol.

Basically Taylor wanted to do this during the bye week.  They probably weren't even thinking about the trade deadline, so yeah it sucks for Dalton...but they weren't trading him anyway.

If the bye had been week 8, he would have been benched earlier, but he'd still be in Cincinnati on Oct 30.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I understand the whole "he's worth more to us than he is in return" argument to a degree, but when you're 0-8 and going into directions like this, they'd have been better off trading:

*Dalton

*Green

*Atkins

I know that they think they and Green can come to a long term deal in the offseason (still a questionable decision given his age and injury history, in light of where they are as a Franchise/how long they are from a successful rebuild), but they could have traded him and then STILL made a push to sign him again in the offseason, as I don't think he gets Franchise Tagged.

Dalton they're moving away from now, so they'd have been better served trading him, AND they get some PR credibility with free agents in the future dealing a player to a team in need/thinking of Andy Dalton that way too.

I think that they get some definite value from Green and Atkins and some marginal value from Dalton. They go completely into REBUILD mode, and use those picks for ammunition in 2020 and beyond.

I wouldn't go quite the route Miami has gone by trading young potential star power, but trading aging vets going into a rebuild is basic tanking/rebuilding 101.

Trading Dalton sure.  But how in the world is Atkins tradeable?  Still lots of money left on that deal.  They would have gotten like a 6th round pick for him lol.  That would have been incredibly dumb.

And we've been over trading Green already.  From the reports that came out yesterday, no one was offering more than a 4th.  In no way would that have made the Bengals better off.

EDIT: i'll take Green for one year in 2020 working with the new QB over a 4th round pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

I would disagree if only because even as a back up, he's got value to some teams. If you were the Pats, wouldn't you prefer to have Dalton as an emergency plan over Stidham? Kirk Cousins' back up is Sean Mannion. The Packers' back up is something called a Tim Boyle, right? I have to imagine that there would have been teams that would have been interested in that situation. 

The Bengals could have flipped him for like a 5th to go back up somewhere, and that would have been fine. Because now they are going to likely end up cutting him, which means he doesn't count toward the comp pick formula. So they get nothing for him, pay him his entire base salary for the rest of the year, etc. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

Basically Taylor wanted to do this during the bye week.  They probably weren't even thinking about the trade deadline, so yeah it sucks for Dalton...but they weren't trading him anyway.

If the bye had been week 8, he would have been benched earlier, but he'd still be in Cincinnati on Oct 30.

Plus they still have him under contract for another season so they can trade him this offseason. Sucks for Andy, but there wasn't a rush to deal him at the deadline. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I would disagree if only because even as a back up, he's got value to some teams.

He does have value as a back- up, but as of yesterday, which teams are throwing a 2nd rounder at the Bengals for that upgrade ?
The Bengals might have taken less, but given their philosophical aversion to trades I just don't see it.

My comment was framed around the idea that the Bengals did him wrong by benching him (on his birthday ! )  instead of a week or 2 ago so they could explore trades. I just don't see the value offered as being enough for Cincy to make any move. He's worth more to them than a 5th

The break glass in emergency changes the value they'd get, but without a desperate team on October 29th, they aren't getting much
"He doesn't know the offense"  is an immense hurdle that seems to be lost in this discussion.
The question isn't whether Dalton is better than Mannion or Boyle, he is. The question is how soon could he get up to speed and would those teams be better off just keeping their back- up who was with them in TC and all season long.

Andy's QB skills don't outweigh the immense mental challenges he'd face coming in cold. That's why the market for him is so limited and why I believe that the Bengals/Dalton didn't miss out on a decent trade oppty. this week

Just now, goldfishwars said:

I dont get why anyone has a problem with this. They've lost all of their games and have to see what they have in Finley before deciding on whether to take a QB early next year. Its absolutely the right move.

Bengals are *averaging* 4 sacks a game allowed. Is that the best environment to see what you have in a rookie QB?

The David Carr/Josh Rosen method hasn't seemed too productive so far. 

7 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Bengals are *averaging* 4 sacks a game allowed. Is that the best environment to see what you have in a rookie QB?

The David Carr/Josh Rosen method hasn't seemed too productive so far. 

No it isnt, but what's the alternative at this point? More of the same? They drafted a QB in the 3rd round and they suck, they need to see what he can do.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

No it isnt, but what's the alternative at this point? More of the same? They drafted a QB in the 3rd round and they suck, they need to see what he can do.

Not that it matters, he was a 4th-rder. 

Certainly livens up any Bengals game with a rookie QB out there. 

If I’m a Junior QB looking at Miami and Bengals, I’m not sure if I’m leaving college early. Dalton needed replacing but right after the deadline looks Carson Palmerish. Lol

Chase Young would be crazy not to come out but if I’m not seeing the QB’s coming out I might wait til the last second too. Lol

so many teams sucking this year but Miami could recover quickly if they hit on all their picks the next 2 years.