Bengals benching QB Andy Dalton; starting rookie Ryan Finley

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

He does have value as a back- up, but as of yesterday, which teams are throwing a 2nd rounder at the Bengals for that upgrade ?
The Bengals might have taken less, but given their philosophical aversion to trades I just don't see it.

Why a 2nd? They should have taken anything. If a philosophical aversion is standing in the way that's a pretty major problem. Nobody is accusing the Bengals of being particularly well run, but stuff like this seems to be why they aren't.

17 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I get how this is everyone's immediate response, but it doesn't make sense to trade AJ if the Bengals didn't receive the right offer. We have no idea what the league may or may not of presented to the Bengals. People are assuming they've turned down great or fair deals, when we just don't know if that's the case.

I've said my peace on this before but I'll reiterate. I for one am not for trading AJ just for the sake of trading AJ. Getting a late 3rd or late 2nd round pick for him doesn't seem like enough for what he's worth to the franchise, on the decline or not. I'd rather resign him, which he's publicly stated he would like to do, and get another 2-3 years of high-quality play out of him paired with a rookie QB who will need receivers; not to mention leadership. Worst case scenario we franchise him next year and he walks the next year if we can't come to a deal. We don't sign outside talent, so forking over the dough for AJ won't be a problem even if the price is steep. There aren't many lucrative resignings on the horizon for our franchise. 

Could the Cardinals have net a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Larry Fitzgerald a couple seasons ago while they were looking at a rebuild? Probably. Do they regret not taking it now that Kyler Murray is developing and using him as a reliable target? Probably not.

Yeah.  I get it, if the Bengals can re-sign AJ.  He'd be a great weapon to ease a young QB in with.  But at the same time...don't you want to get some picks for him that you can spend on other potentially good weapons who can learn and grow with your new QB?  Not give them a crutch as a rookie that teaches them bad habits where you can just heave it AJs way and profit?

And that's if AJ is really going to re-sign in the first place.  It's always one thing to say in-season.  Another thing when offers start coming in elsewhere, with better teams/situations/QBs tossing you the ball.  AJ isn't over the hill...but he's sort of cresting it.  He's gotta have that on his mind...only so many great years left.  Do you waste them on a rookie QB/Finley in Cincy?

16 hours ago, theJ said:

By the time you posted this, the trade deadline had passed.  They can't move him.  Unless you're suggesting a tag and trade during the offseason?  I can't see how they'll net better than a 3rd round pick for that, which is probably what they think they'll get if they lose him later.

Dag nabbit...i always miss the NFL trade deadline, because it's always such a total non-event.  Not like the NHL where it's a bit of a frenzy of players changing hands.  In the NFL...barely anything ever happens and they never make a big deal of it.  I think it's the only event where the NHL actually beats he NFL on "coverage" and "excitement".

Hmmm I wonder where Andy will end up next year...

Hes above average, he’ll end up starting somewhere. 

My prediction is Chicago, Tampa or Tennessee. Chicago & Tennessee are an above average QB away from being super bowl contenders.

If the Redskins has kept Gruden, a trade could have been made for the Redskins to get Dalton & AJ Green for Trent Williams and a 2021 1st or something.

Edited by turtle28

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  I get it, if the Bengals can re-sign AJ.  He'd be a great weapon to ease a young QB in with.  But at the same time...don't you want to get some picks for him that you can spend on other potentially good weapons who can learn and grow with your new QB?  Not give them a crutch as a rookie that teaches them bad habits where you can just heave it AJs way and profit?

And that's if AJ is really going to re-sign in the first place.  It's always one thing to say in-season.  Another thing when offers start coming in elsewhere, with better teams/situations/QBs tossing you the ball.  AJ isn't over the hill...but he's sort of cresting it.  He's gotta have that on his mind...only so many great years left.  Do you waste them on a rookie QB/Finley in Cincy?

Good WR's aren't crutches.  They make the QB better.  I don't understand this argument at all.  They should trade away a great player because it will give the young QB a great player to throw to?  ...???

If AJ doesn't resign, they will franchise him.  I'm about 72% sure they're going to reach a deal.  AJ has made public comments during the offseason, and in the past few days, saying that he wants a new deal in Cincinnati.  Whether they win or lose, he wants a long term deal.  And the Bengals want to get him a deal.  So it's going to happen.

But at the same time...don't you want to get some picks for him that you can spend on other potentially good weapons who can learn and grow with your new QB?

Problem is this franchise won't spend the money externally. Signing free agents isn't in our cards. Neither is rolling the dice on a future 3rd round pick working out when we already have an established receiver on our hands. 

Not give them a crutch as a rookie that teaches them bad habits where you can just heave it AJs way and profit?

Come on now. That doesn't make any sense.

8 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Why a 2nd? They should have taken anything. If a philosophical aversion is standing in the way that's a pretty major problem. Nobody is accusing the Bengals of being particularly well run, but stuff like this seems to be why they aren't.

The better question is, why are we forced to trade him at the deadline? We have him under contract for another season. He can still be dealt in the offseason. You can make the argument that teams are more desperate for a QB now to save their sinking ship, but it's not like he won't have a market at the end of this year. There are plenty of QB-needy teams. Someone will pony up a decent offer if we choose to go that route.

40 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

The better question is, why are we forced to trade him at the deadline? We have him under contract for another season. He can still be dealt in the offseason. You can make the argument that teams are more desperate for a QB now to save their sinking ship, but it's not like he won't have a market at the end of this year. There are plenty of QB-needy teams. Someone will pony up a decent offer if we choose to go that route.

I'm no expert, but with the his current contract situation I feel pretty confident that he's going to be cut before next season. He's being benched, he's due no guaranteed money, Bengals get no comp pick unless they hold him through 2020. It doesn't make a lot of sense to bench him now if he's your starter going into next season, and I don't see them paying a backup 17.5 mil.

Currently, you're banking on Cincy getting more for Dalton this off-season than they could have right now, (in the face of him likely being cut) which I find doubtful... However, the important thing is that they didn't even explore the current market. They have no idea what they could have gotten right now, because they didn't bench him until 3 hours before the deadline. Dalton was caught unaware as well. The timing is incredibly odd.

39 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I'm no expert, but with the his current contract situation I feel pretty confident that he's going to be cut before next season. He's being benched, he's due no guaranteed money, Bengals get no comp pick unless they hold him through 2020. It doesn't make a lot of sense to bench him now if he's your starter going into next season, and I don't see them paying a backup 17.5 mil.

Currently, you're banking on Cincy getting more for Dalton this off-season than they could have right now, (in the face of him likely being cut) which I find doubtful... However, the important thing is that they didn't even explore the current market. They have no idea what they could have gotten right now, because they didn't bench him until 3 hours before the deadline. Dalton was caught unaware as well. The timing is incredibly odd.

There really isn't a team out there desperate enough for a QB to make a deadline deal.  Yeah Dalton might have a marginal upgrade over Joe Flacco (or Brandon Allen), but why would Denver make that deal?  They're 2-5.

The other teams with starters out have seen backups that played well.  Carolina, New Orleans, Pittsburgh.  Mahomes won't be out long enough for a trade for Dalton to make sense.

Plus you throw in the fact that a QB learning a new playbook/offense is way more intensive than a WR, DE or any other position.  Carson Palmer made a comment years after his trade that the second half of 2011 was the hardest thing he went through as a pro.  Picking up the playbook during the heat of the season was almost impossible.

This is a non-issue.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

That's what I was thinking, he'll be traded once the season is over and they have the #1 pick. Damn you, Bengals! 

36 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Cincy is going to get nothing instead of something.

Here's the thing, we don't get nothing by not trading him at the deadline. It's not completely pointless to still have Andy on the roster right now. Maybe in the long-term, but not in the short-term.

By keeping him we get a back up QB for the remainder of the season to mentor a rookie that needs mentoring. There's value in that. It's important to have someone with experience in the room for someone with zero experience. And what if Finley goes down with injury his first game? We're going to trot out a UDFA to play the remaining 7 and a half games?

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Hmmm I wonder where Andy will end up next year...

Hes above average, he’ll end up starting somewhere. 

My prediction is Chicago, Tampa or Tennessee. Chicago & Tennessee are an above average QB away from being super bowl contenders.

If the Redskins has kept Gruden, a trade could have been made for the Redskins to get Dalton & AJ Green for Trent Williams and a 2021 1st or something.

The Titans could have Peyton Manning in his prime and this coaching staff would prevent them from contending. Least QB/WR friendly offense in the entire league. 

I don't think any QB would stay in school to avoid the Dolphins. They want Tua, will take him and not look back. They have the cap space and picks to build a good team around him. Nobody wants to play for the Bengals but somebody has to. I doubt anyone stays in school to avoid that, they'll just leave when they get the chance.

These kind of moves are why the Bengals are 0-8. Their offensive line is a special kind of pathetic.  They've got one noteworthy WR in Tyler Boyd, their running game is struggling because their OL cant Block anyone. Dalton is taking 50 hits a game. So the logical thing to do is blame Dalton instead of doing a better job as a GM to protect him.

Should've made this decision a week ago to give his agent time to seek a trade. Dalton isnt an elite QB but he is also far from the NFLs worst. Anyone who say the Steelers game understands why Dalton is frustrated.

This team intentionally put Dalton in a position he had no control over. They waited until the point of no return before benching him because they needed a fall guy.

At the end of the season, more than likely they will lose both Dalton and AJ Green. They deserve it.

Edited by wwhickok