AFC South Discussion Thread

.Buzz

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Remember when we had Jones, Owens and Bolen? Ahh good times

I met Jones a couple years ago at the draft. Reminisced with him about how great he was at clearing holes for Fred and MJD. It really made me sad that we had, at the time, abandoned having a FB. Dude was a better runner and pass catcher than Bohanon, a ++ Pass blocker and +++ run blocker. Those were some really good times for those of us who watch blocking.

And then Owens was a +++ Special teamer. So even that would be something nice to have as a + skill for whoever we get as a FB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Not really, imo. I mean he’s better than not having a Fullback, but he doesn’t particularly have anything that I would grade as a + skill.

Run blocking is just... it is run blocking. Pass blocking is just... it is pass blocking. He doesn’t really do either well, he just does them. He can’t lead block and clear a LB out of a hole to spring a runner or split open a crease for a RB to pick up a yard on 3rd and inches. He can’t take on a blitzing LB and hold him for 2 seconds to get off a pass. But he’s competent enough that he’s not an undue hindrance as a blocker. He can get his hands on someone in the run game and pass game. He jut can’t create impact blocks.

He’s not a guy you can give the ball and let run a time or two per game, even if it’s deceptive. He really doesn’t have the physicality to be the monster bruiser runner, play low enough to the ground to get underneath DL, or play skinny enough to get between quick developing lanes. He’s kind of a lumbering runner.

He exists as a pass catcher, but he’s not particularly good at running routes or or finding a hole in a zone and sitting in the seam. His hands seem stable, but he’s also never been tasked with making anything but the most routine of catches. He’s also not shown to be a guy who can get forgotten about and then randomly turn one catch per year into 50 yards because he drops a CB who closes in on him and then drags a couple players before being tackled either. (I say this, but watch Seattle’s banged up defense completely screw something up today and make me look foolish)

He just kinda exists as a fullback. He’s not bad, but he’s not good either. He doesn’t do anything well, but he’s also not a hindrance in what they actually need him to do as a blocker. 

I don’t necessarily think Fowler is the answer (though I had hoped they would draft him when he came out), but I also don’t think it would be particularly hard for them to find someone who could replicate what he does at 3/4 of the facets (run block, run, pass block, pass catch) and offer a + skill in the other aspect. Preferably the guy would be a + blocker in both the run and pass game, but I’d even take just an okay runner who could convert a short yardage play every other game and get 100 yards rushing on the season on 3.8 per carry.

Yeah. Pretty much my impression of tommy Bahamas. It's not easy for a FB to really stand out and look exceptional. But he really doesn't. And the flip side is that there are always plenty of similarly serviceable but utterly replaceable FBs available for cheap. Some who might even offer at least something that stands out or flashes at least once in awhile. 

Which is also why it seems kinda silly to bother trying to convert some DE to a position like that with decent options always floating around on the market already. 

4 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I met Jones a couple years ago at the draft. Reminisced with him about how great he was at clearing holes for Fred and MJD. It really made me sad that we had, at the time, abandoned having a FB. Dude was a better runner and pass catcher than Bohanon, a ++ Pass blocker and +++ run blocker. Those were some really good times for those of us who watch blocking.

And then Owens was a +++ Special teamer. So even that would be something nice to have as a + skill for whoever we get as a FB.

The rare standout FB. Kind of going away as a thing in general. The FB position itself is kijda going away. But for a team that wants to do what we want to do on offense...it seems like the sort of thing that might actually be worth seeking out again. There have gotta be guys out there...and it's rarely any kind of insurmountable premium or cap space or draft capital to land those guys. 

6 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The rare standout FB. Kind of going away as a thing in general. The FB position itself is kijda going away. But for a team that wants to do what we want to do on offense...it seems like the sort of thing that might actually be worth seeking out again. There have gotta be guys out there...and it's rarely any kind of insurmountable premium or cap space or draft capital to land those guys. 

Yeah. There’s gotta be a guy out there who is a + blocker that we can find. It may be harder to find them in the draft with the way the college game has changed, but they gotta be out there. Some school that doesn’t have the resources to get these high level athletes to play these spread and option offenses 24/7 has gotta be breeding 250 lb bruising lead blockers. Or there’s gotta be some angsty, physically limited LB that’s ready to convert.

I also don’t mind them trying to convert a DE. It’s the Practice Squad and he’s probably not good enough to make a roster as a pass rusher. Might as well see what he can do at a less pressing position.

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

Yeah. There’s gotta be a guy out there who is a + blocker that we can find. It may be harder to find them in the draft with the way the college game has changed, but they gotta be out there. Some school that doesn’t have the resources to get these high level athletes to play these spread and option offenses 24/7 has gotta be breeding 250 lb bruising lead blockers. Or there’s gotta be some angsty, physically limited LB that’s ready to convert.

I also don’t mind them trying to convert a DE. It’s the Practice Squad and he’s probably not good enough to make a roster as a pass rusher. Might as well see what he can do at a less pressing position.

Theres 3 fullbacks i like in the draft in Khalid hill from Michigan and then theres Dimitri flowers from Oklahoma and Jaylen Samuels from nc state. 

I do think kicking the tires with fowler wouldn't be bad and worse case is maybe we get some insider knowledge of their offense.  Hes ranked 17th with pff. He was their fullbackbon their all-pff team in 2015 so clearly has some talent. 

5 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

I do think kicking the tires with fowler wouldn't be bad and worse case is maybe we get some insider knowledge of their offense.  Hes ranked 17th with pff. He was their fullbackbon their all-pff team in 2015 so clearly has some talent. 

I really don’t mind the idea of bringing him in. Cut Phillips and sign him back to the PS, and see what Fowler has.

Titans fans seem to be pretty high on Fowler as a player, but view his being cut as a scheme thing - they’re phasing out the FB and he’s taking an active roster spot over someone who could help on special teams or be insurance for an injury, so they moved on. Seems they view him as a good receiver, and mentioned he had a few impact blocks this season before they phased out the spot completely.

8 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I really don’t mind the idea of bringing him in. Cut Phillips and sign him back to the PS, and see what Fowler has.

Titans fans seem to be pretty high on Fowler as a player, but view his being cut as a scheme thing - they’re phasing out the FB and he’s taking an active roster spot over someone who could help on special teams or be insurance for an injury, so they moved on. Seems they view him as a good receiver, and mentioned he had a few impact blocks this season before they phased out the spot completely.

Wouldn't be surprising if that's entirely what it comes down to.  Happens to decent or better FBs all the time, just by the nature of the position and where much of the league is going, and the sort of players they want in that role...if they want anyone at all.