AFC South Discussion Thread

.Buzz

and frankly, i’m not even attributing a lot of his picks to the system. he’s tossed plenty of flat-out wack interceptions the likes of which i’ve never seen him make in years prior, and those are on him. down year for sure, possibly due to lingering effects of his leg injury (footwork has been particularly sloppy this year). it’s really the lack of touchdowns, given that he’s shown the ability to put those up in bunches when given the opportunity 

16 hours ago, -Hope- said:

my dude you literally just skipped over two of the three things i said lol

___, scheme, ____

try again

You have other excuses. We did too.

Marcus has been good in the past. He’s been bad this year, and it’s not just everyone else’s fault.

11 minutes ago, iPwn said:

You have other excuses. We did too.

Marcus has been good in the past. He’s been bad this year, and it’s not just everyone else’s fault.

could you please point to exactly where i said it was just everyone else's fault

or maybe even just take note of the post directly above yours where i explicitly said that's not the case

17 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

could you please point to exactly where i said it was just everyone else's fault

or maybe even just take note of the post directly above yours where i explicitly said that's not the case

I don’t know what you’re arguing then. Iwas stating he’s been the worst of the supposed to be QBs in the division this year. Bort, Brissett (not gonna count Luck because he hasn’t played a down) and Watson are all playing like they’re better.

4 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I don’t know what you’re arguing then. Iwas stating he’s been the worst of the supposed to be QBs in the division this year. Bort, Brissett (not gonna count Luck because he hasn’t played a down) and Watson are all playing like they’re better.

i'm saying that no sane person would take blake bortles over marcus mariota right now, down season or not

21 hours ago, iPwn said:

More points per game

More yards

More rushing yards

More passing yards

More rushing yards per play

More passing yards per completion

More passing TDs

Higher passer rating

More first downs

Higher first down %

More third down conversions

Higher 3rd down conversion %

Fewer sacks

Lower sack percentage

Higher time of possession

Fewer turnovers

Fewer INTs

Fewer fumbles

What more do you need?

Even for as much crap as Blake is getting for being hidden by this offense with barely being asked to his dink and dunk pass game, he has more attempts per game AND a higher yard per completion total too.

I need a Super Bowl!

2 hours ago, -Hope- said:

i'm saying that no sane person would take blake bortles over marcus mariota right now, down season or not

If we're talking about the long haul? Of course not. Mariota has been in the league for less time and COULD potentially get back on track. Bortles has shown he isn't the long term guy for sure unless something changes drastically and he can consistently play like last week.

This year though? I really don't know how you can argue otherwise. Mariota has been awful this year. Not to say that Blake has been great or he's better long-term, but this year he is playing better. The AFC South as a whole has been absolutely pathetic as a division QB wise outside of Watson's insane stretch prior to getting hurt.

52 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Isn't Tommy pretty good though?

Not really, imo. I mean he’s better than not having a Fullback, but he doesn’t particularly have anything that I would grade as a + skill.

Run blocking is just... it is run blocking. Pass blocking is just... it is pass blocking. He doesn’t really do either well, he just does them. He can’t lead block and clear a LB out of a hole to spring a runner or split open a crease for a RB to pick up a yard on 3rd and inches. He can’t take on a blitzing LB and hold him for 2 seconds to get off a pass. But he’s competent enough that he’s not an undue hindrance as a blocker. He can get his hands on someone in the run game and pass game. He jut can’t create impact blocks.

He’s not a guy you can give the ball and let run a time or two per game, even if it’s deceptive. He really doesn’t have the physicality to be the monster bruiser runner, play low enough to the ground to get underneath DL, or play skinny enough to get between quick developing lanes. He’s kind of a lumbering runner.

He exists as a pass catcher, but he’s not particularly good at running routes or or finding a hole in a zone and sitting in the seam. His hands seem stable, but he’s also never been tasked with making anything but the most routine of catches. He’s also not shown to be a guy who can get forgotten about and then randomly turn one catch per year into 50 yards because he drops a CB who closes in on him and then drags a couple players before being tackled either. (I say this, but watch Seattle’s banged up defense completely screw something up today and make me look foolish)

He just kinda exists as a fullback. He’s not bad, but he’s not good either. He doesn’t do anything well, but he’s also not a hindrance in what they actually need him to do as a blocker. 

I don’t necessarily think Fowler is the answer (though I had hoped they would draft him when he came out), but I also don’t think it would be particularly hard for them to find someone who could replicate what he does at 3/4 of the facets (run block, run, pass block, pass catch) and offer a + skill in the other aspect. Preferably the guy would be a + blocker in both the run and pass game, but I’d even take just an okay runner who could convert a short yardage play every other game and get 60 yards rushing on the season on 3.8 per carry.