AFC South Discussion Thread

.Buzz

35 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

it's definitely crazy, and i've been a pretty harsh critic of mariota this year

Agree to disagree.

Bortles has more LOL looking plays and has been bad for a longer period of time, only reason why you or anyone view it that way imo. Doesn't change the fact that Mariota is also playing very, very bad football and when comparing the two for this season and this season only he very well is pretty much just as bad if not worse imo.

Edit: This also coming from a very, very harsh critic of Bortles that was on the Watson bandwagon come draft time last year.

Edited by .Buzz

On 11/26/2017 at 7:59 PM, iPwn said:

Of the 4 supposed to be starters this year, Marcus has clearly been the worst of the bunch imo.

Not really, Marcus' numbers are certainly the worst, but overall performance hasn't been quite as terrible. He also plays in a pretty non-quarterback friendly offense. He's been a disappointment this year for sure, but not quite to the level that the stats make it look. The entire offense is based around tight and bunch formations and establishing a run game, which frankly, we haven't really been able to establish since beating you guys in Week 2.

It leaves Mariota with a lot of passing plays that are long-developing with only two or three players running routes. Which can be successful in certain situations, but makes life a lot harder when teams can deal with the run game without having to immediately commit to it at the snap.

For example:

We're straight up running a goalline set at the 45 yardline. We had two players go out for routes on the play. I still have faith in Mariota for the future, but there are very few quarterbacks in the NFL that can have a ton of success in this scheme if the run game isn't working. The throwing windows just don't open up because everything is bunched together. 

Bortles, even without Allen Robinson, has found himself in a ridiculously favorable situation in one of the easiest offenses I've ever seen a NFL quarterback asked to operate. His primary read (at least in the last few weeks when I've been able to actually watch the Jags) is legitimately a 5-7 yard crossing route on at least half of his passing plays (and nearly every third down, it's almost incredible that it works as often as it does when I'm able to call the play before the snap from my couch). He's rarely asked to go through progressions or throw into tight windows. And obviously this is made easier by one of the best run games in the league (kind of similar to how Mariota hasn't actually regressed significantly from last year, he just has almost entirely lost his run game with Murray averaging under 2 yards per carry over the last month). 

Bortles is being asked to simply not lose the game while being put in favorable conditions while Marcus is being asked to try to carry the offense while being put in really unfavorable spots. That's not to say Marcus hasn't had some truly terrible throws, he definitely has, particularly over the last two weeks. I just struggle to say Bortles has been better than Mariota because their situations could not be more vastly different.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

Bortles is being asked to simply not lose the game while being put in favorable conditions while Marcus is being asked to try to carry the offense while being put in really unfavorable spots.

I remember when we made this excuse for Bortles too. 

On 11/29/2017 at 12:12 AM, iPwn said:

I remember when we made this excuse for Bortles too. 

lol this is an absolute dip**** take and you know it

mariota's interceptable pass percentage is lower than both jared goff's and carson wentz's, but he's operating in an offense that leaves him absolutely no margin for error

On 11/28/2017 at 11:10 PM, titans0021 said:

Bortles, even without Allen Robinson, has found himself in a ridiculously favorable situation in one of the easiest offenses I've ever seen a NFL quarterback asked to operate. His primary read (at least in the last few weeks when I've been able to actually watch the Jags) is legitimately a 5-7 yard crossing route on at least half of his passing plays (and nearly every third down, it's almost incredible that it works as often as it does when I'm able to call the play before the snap from my couch). He's rarely asked to go through progressions or throw into tight windows.

More proof that Marrone >>>>>>> Mularkey.  Bortles passing chart is sad.  He barely throws the ball more than 10 yards and their offense is still better than the Titans.  

3 hours ago, -Hope- said:

lol this is an absolute dip**** take and you know it

mariota's interceptable pass percentage is lower than both jared goff's and carson wentz's, but he's operating in an offense that leaves him absolutely no margin for error

Yep, we made this excuse for Blake too.

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Is it really better?

More points per game

More yards

More rushing yards

More passing yards

More rushing yards per play

More passing yards per completion

More passing TDs

Higher passer rating

More first downs

Higher first down %

More third down conversions

Higher 3rd down conversion %

Fewer sacks

Lower sack percentage

Higher time of possession

Fewer turnovers

Fewer INTs

Fewer fumbles

What more do you need?

Even for as much crap as Blake is getting for being hidden by this offense with barely being asked to his dink and dunk pass game, he has more attempts per game AND a higher yard per completion total too.

1 hour ago, iPwn said:

Yep, we made this excuse for Blake too.

you made the excuse that he was statistically less likely to throw an interception than two of the best young quarterbacks in the game? and that his offense ran out of their least-productive formation the highest percentage of the time? after he had had two very strong seasons with a 90+ qb rating? oh.

it's absolutely incredible to me that you're trying to equate the two lol

Edited by -Hope-

17 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

you made the excuse that he was statistically less likely to throw an interception than two of the best young quarterbacks in the game? and that his offense ran out of their least-productive formation the highest percentage of the time? after he had had two very strong seasons with a 90+ qb rating? oh.

it's absolutely incredible to me that you're trying to equate the two lol

Yup, we made all sorts of excuses and blamed the scheme for Blake’s failings.

Actual quote from 2015 in defense of Blake:

> Blake turns the ball over too much 

> Blake throws downfield more than anyone else in the NFL 
> downfield throws are over 3 times as likely to end in a turnover 
> Throwing downfield less will lead to fewer turnovers 

> Blake's completion percentage is lower than we would like it to be 
> Blake throws downfield more than anyone else in the NFL 
> Downfield throws result in completions at 53% the rate that shorter passes are 
> Throwing downfield less will lead to completing a higher rate of passes 

This isn't rocket science.

In 2015, the Blake defense year, Blake was asked to throw over twice as many passes (compared to other top tier QBs) on routes that averaged 3x as many turnovers and a completion percentage 53% of that of an average throw. He was asked to make those plays in obvious pass situations, which made passing even harder. If only Blake wouldn’t have been asked to make these extremely hard plays, and been placed in a scheme that allowed for a normal shot play percentage, he obviously wouldn’t have turned the ball over nearly as much and would have completed a much higher percentage of passes. Scheme, not Blake! Rah, rah, rah.