Week #11 GDT Steelers at Browns Backyard Brawl Pt. 1

Steeler Hitman

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

I dont have a problem with Johnson returning as long as he doesnt fumble again.

Then I think your gonna have a problem with Johnson returning. He has been putting the ball on the turf on punts at a fairly high rate since training camp  

At this point I think it’s pretty fair to say Switzer sucks as an NFL player. But Johnson hasn’t taken his roster space away from him because the ball keeps ending up on the ground. He has fumbled, dropped easy passes, and muffed punts. That’s not a ton of ball security for a position where Tomlin demands that above all else.

I’ll argue the thing Switzer is doing well has to be able to be replaced by someone, but I don’t think it’s Johnson. I do hope it’s Sutton. I think this chance has been a long time coming because of Tomlins “no defense” role handling the football. 

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

Then I think your gonna have a problem with Johnson returning. He has been putting the ball on the turf on punts at a fairly high rate since training camp  

At this point I think it’s pretty fair to say Switzer sucks as an NFL player. But Johnson hasn’t taken his roster space away from him because the ball keeps ending up on the ground. He has fumbled, dropped easy passes, and muffed punts. That’s not a ton of ball security for a position where Tomlin demands that above all else.

I’ll argue the thing Switzer is doing well has to be able to be replaced by someone, but I don’t think it’s Johnson. I do hope it’s Sutton. I think this chance has been a long time coming because of Tomlins “no defense” role handling the football. 

I agree with you. But I'd rather see Lawfirm (TBJ) get a shot at returning. Switzer takes 18,000 steps to get 10 yards.

On 2019-11-11 at 7:03 PM, Chieferific said:

Agreed. I was referring to the Defense specifically. After shutting down the Rams, if Baker/OBJ and Co. shred the Defense I'm gonna be peeved

The way Haden has played, I doubt whoever he is up against has much of a game, especially since he is playing his old team, no way he lets them have a good game. Nelson has been solid  as well, so it should be a test to observe.  Agree about peeved, lets hope it goes our way.  Who benefits from the 4 days off more, a defence or offence? TNF  makes no sense to me, why not stay with sundays and then MNF, thats it?

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I agree with you. But I'd rather see Lawfirm (TBJ) get a shot at returning. Switzer takes 18,000 steps to get 10 yards.

Lawfirm for reps on offence too, I see a RB that can be productive here with #40.  What happens to Lawfirm once Snell and Connor are back?

These coaches need to address the fumbling issues, it's a problem that needs to be corrected as too many players have this on this roster. 

10 hours ago, August4th said:

Steelers were able to run all over the browns last yr.. offense needs to do that again. Looks like conner will be back, hopefully nix is too

also some more roster shuffling

Both Olasunkanmi Adeniyi (hip) and Anthony Chickillo (ribs) were limited in Pittsburgh’s only full practice ahead of their Thursday night matchup with the Cleveland Browns. Sutton Smith was re-signed to the practice squad on Tuesday.

Maybe this is the perfect game for Smith to get a chance? Too bad about Ola, it would have been for him too, but thats not how it's playing out.  Smith has quickness, maybe he will get inside blitzes like timmons used to. I am still interested in seeing how he does at OLB. What if he breaks out, do they cut chickillo?

The former sixth-round pick was cut at the end of training camp after struggling through a hamstring injury. Smith spent all of one day on the practice squad last week as the team brought in running back Darrin Hall to take practice reps with James Conner and Benny Snell Jr. injured.

Edited by 3rivers

tough test for the defense in a short week on the road against a dangerous but so far underwhelming offense beginning to find its feet, cleveland really can make a statement with a strong performance against the (and i can’t believe i’m saying this after the past few years) vaunted defense of the steelers

i think that we still pull out the win but the best part of the rams win is we’ve given ourselves a game to play with... 

and something i’d just like to note

but for a terrible personal foul on the ravens drive that tied the game we’d be 6-3 and leading the division on the tiebreaker, as good as the ravens seem to have been on the field compared to us... which is also why i don’t buy lamar mvp hype, three picks with a loss and second place in the division wouldn’t look all that crash hot

so i wouldn’t say the division is out of the equation yet for us boys

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Good, hopefully they realize Switzer brings nothing to this team. Johnson is dynamic he just needs to make sure he secures the ball. 

Switzer has to be hurt or something. The explosiveness and shiftiness of a guy his size is gone. he had that early last season and looked like he was on the verge of potentially breaking a PR and a few KOR's as well.  His averages have plummeted into the toilet. I don't think it is because he simply sucks/lacks ability.  He was effective at times last year. He is not going to win a sprint, but he showed "quickness."  That is what is missing from Switzer this year.  He makes no defenders miss out of the backfield, he makes no gunners miss fielding punts.  The shiftiness is gone.  I would have to think there is an injury that isn't being disclosed that is limiting his movement. I would love  to see a dynamic returner, but I want to see consistency holding onto the ball more. While his legs seem to be shot, his hands and decision making are not.

14 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I don't have a problem with Johnson returning as long as he doesn't fumble again.

That has long since been the problem in Pittsburgh with the return game.  This was one of the reasons AB stayed on PR duties so long.  Ball security is important and you can't afford to give up 45 or 50 yards turn the ball back over after stopping an opposing offense, and expect to to stop a team. It is too much of a game/momentum changer.

Many returners don't understand this. The prospect of a long return or TD are very sexy,  but not nearly as practical and effective as simply securing the ball to give back to the offense. He has to know to get down and secure the ball. Too many fumbles in the return game and on some of his receptions as well. Ball security is of major importance young Johnson and young Ju Ju.

12 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Then I think your gonna have a problem with Johnson returning. He has been putting the ball on the turf on punts at a fairly high rate since training camp.

mood-excited1.gif

I think Switzer has ability, but for some reason has not flashed as he had early when he was traded last year. He has to have some injury or something that is keeping him from being 100%.  He had some quickness and wiggle that seems to be gone. Maybe there is a mysterious inury a la Boz last year when he struggled.  Whatever it is, he has flashed very little as a returner or receiver/back.

Truthfully, Cam has had the same problem with securing the ball. I never understood why he did not try to excel at this particularity as a rookie while his CB skills were being  honed. While we may hate the fair catch or the anti-climatic PR, Switzer offers the best ball security and I will take that over seeing someone consistently putting the football on the ground. Nothing good can come from that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Why not have Minkah return kicks, he sure has a nose for the endzone (kidding obviously).