Offseason Work to do

mwalker

2 hours ago, Displayname said:

How do you guys feel about drafting a qb or signing a vet?

i wouldn’t. Figure I’d see how everyone feels

We arent going to be in position in the draft or FA to get a difference maker at QB.  

Ride with Ben another year, sign a vet like Trevor Simean, and hope Ben can stay healthy.

Wouldnt draft a QB at any point unless they are extremely high on someone late.

• Like 1

I'd sign a lower tier vet and let him compete with Rudolph and Duck. I may not even sign one at all. I think Rudolph is a fine backup QB. He just was getting his feet wet. QBs rarely hit the ground running. He's got a good arm, good frame, good head. He just needs to work on touch and placement, which is doable. I think a lot of his accuracy issues were probably nerves related. He's never going to be Brees, Peyton, or Manning but I don't think he has to be. 

I think this team could probably win a SB with Rudolph if he cleans up some mental mistakes. The Ravens won with Flacco, an average running game, and a great defense. If we can work on our ground game, added in to Rudolph's ability to throw deep, we can build a winning team. I know it would be lucky, I'm just pointing out we probably don't need to sign a vet. Mason gives us as good of a chance of winning as someone like Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch, or some other garbage vet.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Displayname said:

I’m even hesitant about bring a FA QB in due to cap reasons and needs of depth (TE,OL,DL,ED,S). With little we will have in cap I think those positions should be FA and draft targets( double up if need be).

Yeah...depending what happens with Dupree and Hargrave, we need to replace one of them with a vet.  Then we need another weapon on offense.  

We arent going to be able to fill all of our depth issues. Never can.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Yeah...depending what happens with Dupree and Hargrave, we need to replace one of them with a vet.  Then we need another weapon on offense.  

We arent going to be able to fill all of our depth issues. Never can.  

IMO, I value the depth in any of those positions more the a vet back up QB. You’re right, we will won’t be able to fill the want list.

48 minutes ago, Displayname said:

IMO, I value the depth in any of those positions more the a vet back up QB. You’re right, we will won’t be able to fill the want list.

Yeah...I believe the depth chart at QB next year will be Ben, Rudolph and Hodges.  As much as Rudolph and Hodges struggled at times, they are both still young and learning,  and they might be soild backups ala Chuck Batch.  

Im not totally dismissing QB, but it largely depends on Ben's elbow progression come early March.  If there are still questions, they might try to get a stop gap vet.  Not a top one, but again, a guy like Simean isnt out of the question in that scenario.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Marcus should NOT have been brought back at all. He offers this team nothing.

He is just a body, and we are weak at safety.  He can be cut with ease if we find someone better to take his spot.

Skipper hasnt proven much either.  He has flashed potential, but some Steeler fans kinda put him on a pedastal he doesnt belong on.

• Like 1