2020 Bears FAs -Who can/do you resign?

dll2000

13 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Letting Floyd walk would go a long way towards that. 

Oof. I really don 't like the 3-4.  Too many specifically talented people to make it work, consistently. And strategic problems even when they're in place. Like we saw with the Raiders. 

The Bears have consistently made it work for the last 27 games. They were awesome last year and still top 8 this year.

It's not the scheme's fault that Pace has no one to rush on the outside except Mack.

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

The Bears have consistently made it work for the last 27 games. They were awesome last year and still top 8 this year.

It's not the scheme's fault that Pace has no one to rush on the outside except Mack.

Aaah...

It's just a weird...area, for want of a better term. Floyd was a reach--to project him into the role Pace so desperately wanted him to play. 

The 3-4 is profoundly flawed, as far as personnel to actually make it work goes. We're seeing it with the loss of Hicks this year. There are simply too many specifically talented parts required to make it work, no matter what. There are too many strategically vulnerable aspects (see-the Raiders game). If you're incredibly lucky, it's fine. If reality, commonplace reality. hits your team, you're most likely in a bad place. Because Akim Hicks type players are rare. 

32 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Aaah...

It's just a weird...area, for want of a better term. Floyd was a reach--to project him into the role Pace so desperately wanted him to play. 

The 3-4 is profoundly flawed, as far as personnel to actually make it work goes. We're seeing it with the loss of Hicks this year. There are simply too many specifically talented parts required to make it work, no matter what. There are too many strategically vulnerable aspects (see-the Raiders game). If you're incredibly lucky, it's fine. If reality, commonplace reality. hits your team, you're most likely in a bad place. Because Akim Hicks type players are rare. 

It's basically a tradeoff. The 3-4 is better when you don't want to surrender too many yards on short/intermediate passes and the 4-3 is better when you want to stuff the run for more negative yardage. I like 3-4 better because there's more strategy in where you bring the pressure but I say pick the defense that fits you're personnel.

Either way, transitioning from a 3-4 to 4-3 and vice versa requires time and revamping your roster. The 4-3 requires special players like having a good 3-Technique and a talented Mike and/or WILL. Most EDGE players are talented enough to transition between a 4-3 and 3-4 seamlessly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Letting Floyd walk would go a long way towards that. 

Oof. I really don 't like the 3-4.  Too many specifically talented people to make it work, consistently. And strategic problems even when they're in place. Like we saw with the Raiders. 

Agreed. I've been ready to let him walk since during the 2019 season, I like him but he isn't a reliable edge so he won't be able to be worth what he is going to want. 

Prince, DT, Floyd, all are good players but all have concerns moving forward. They can all be replaced while having a good defense IMO. 

True EDGE  @ $15/mil ($2 more than Floyd)

Kwiatkoski @ $4 mil ($3 mil less than DT)

Vet to compete for #2 vs rookie and Toliver @ $5 mil ($4 mil less than Amukamara)

A real TE @ $7 mil (all but $2mil paid for with above savings)

Then looking at Long and Gabriel being cut the savings is like $12.5 mil. That could be put toward a major WR addition to help ARob. 

There's moves that can be made but it's going to mean some bargain shopping to be done for depth, and we would have to ride with Tru and a rookie for the QB. But with a better WR Corp and TE it would greatly aid the offense. 

26 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Agreed. I've been ready to let him walk since during the 2019 season, I like him but he isn't a reliable edge so he won't be able to be worth what he is going to want. 

Prince, DT, Floyd, all are good players but all have concerns moving forward. They can all be replaced while having a good defense IMO. 

True EDGE  @ $15/mil ($2 more than Floyd)

Kwiatkoski @ $4 mil ($3 mil less than DT)

Vet to compete for #2 vs rookie and Toliver @ $5 mil ($4 mil less than Amukamara)

A real TE @ $7 mil (all but $2mil paid for with above savings)

Then looking at Long and Gabriel being cut the savings is like $12.5 mil. That could be put toward a major WR addition to help ARob. 

There's moves that can be made but it's going to mean some bargain shopping to be done for depth, and we would have to ride with Tru and a rookie for the QB. But with a better WR Corp and TE it would greatly aid the offense. 

His contract next year is only guaranteed for injury, so we could cut him at no cost and pocket the $13.2M. Might lose him in FA but whatever, that dude does not deserve to be the 6th highest paid OLB in the league next year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BACK2MACKSACK said:

It's basically a tradeoff. The 3-4 is better when you don't want to surrender too many yards on short/intermediate passes and the 4-3 is better when you want to stuff the run for more negative yardage. I like 3-4 better because there's more strategy in where you bring the pressure but I say pick the defense that fits you're personnel.

Either way, transitioning from a 3-4 to 4-3 and vice versa requires time and revamping your roster. The 4-3 requires special players like having a good 3-Technique and a talented Mike and/or WILL. Most EDGE players are talented enough to transition between a 4-3 and 3-4 seamlessly.

A big problem with the 3-4 is that a skilled, massive offensive line can neutralize your front, of only three guys, (see: the Oakland game). It's better to have more athleticism in those dire straits, Another problem is that it takes such a specific set of skills to man a superb 3-4 line that if you have injuries there, it's difficult to recover. (See: Hicks injury this season.) 

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

His contract next year is only guaranteed for injury, so we could cut him at no cost and pocket the $13.2M. Might lose him in FA but whatever, that dude does not deserve to be the 6th highest paid OLB in the league next year.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Let him go elsewhere and be overpaid. Pay up for someone who can take advantage of theor opportunities opposite of Mack. 

Spending the most money doesn't net success, getting the best value from your contracts does. 

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

That's exactly what I'm saying. Let him go elsewhere and be overpaid. Pay up for someone who can take advantage of theor opportunities opposite of Mack. 

Spending the most money doesn't net success, getting the best value from your contracts does. 

Is there a player you like in FA that we can replace him with at 50-75% of the cost? Last thing I want to do right now is create more holes on this roster with limited draft picks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, G08 said:

Is there a player you like in FA that we can replace him with at 50-75% of the cost? Last thing I want to do right now is create more holes on this roster with limited draft picks.

Hmm. So with a $10 mil cap max for OLB you could go for Robert Quinn or Whitney Mercilus with relative ease. Fowler might be able to be had as well, and could be a longer term option if they are moving on from Tru. 

1 minute ago, Damikeeeee said:

Once the 31st team laughs in our face when we ask for a conditional 7th. Yes. Not gonna be a big market to pickup 13 mil guaranteed for a very meh player. 

I agree that he's a meh player, but a team that wants a decent linebacker would take him for a 4 or 5 & hope he lights it up in a contract year, imo.

17 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I'd certainly try to get a 4 for Floyd in the spring

I'm thinking of using him to trade up into the first for a mock. Obviously not a straight swap, but NE loves versatile players and has a ton of FAs this year. 

Maybe Floyd, our late 2nd and a 5th for NEs 1st and their 2nd (swapping spots so they move up). Or Floyd and our early 2nd for their 1st.