Where does Stephon Gilmore '18-'19 rank among the best recent seasons by a CB?

Apparition

It's hard to do this considering how much more prevalent the passing game is now as opposed to even just a few short years ago, no? We will get to see just how good Gilmore is really this weekend, because he's going to be matched up against DeAndre Hopkins all day long. I think that's a real barometer wherein we can tell just how good his season has been.

26 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

It's hard to do this considering how much more prevalent the passing game is now as opposed to even just a few short years ago, no? We will get to see just how good Gilmore is really this weekend, because he's going to be matched up against DeAndre Hopkins all day long. I think that's a real barometer wherein we can tell just how good his season has been.

Past 2 games against Hopkins: 

6/9, 85 yards, 0 TDs, 1 PBU, 1 PI, 57.4 passer rating.

On 11/26/2019 at 2:29 PM, BayRaider said:

1) 2006 Champ Bailey

2) 2005 Champ Bailey

3) 1994 Deion Sanders (SF)

4) 2009 Darrelle Revis

5) 2006 Nnamdi Asomghua

6) 2019 Stephon Gilmore

7) 1980 Lester Hayes

8) 2013 Richard Sherman

9) 2012 Richard Sherman

10) 1984 Michael Haynes

HM: 1993 Deion Sanders (ATL)

Just my opinion. Al Davis always had an extreme hard on for CB more than any other position. Was also the first owner to transition to more athletic guys after the 1978 5 yard separation rule. Which is why they had the best CB tandem from 78-86. 

Champ Bailey didn't even have the best 2005 of all CBs that year, let alone the 2 best CB seasons ever.

22 hours ago, BayRaider said:

To pile on to my 2005-2006 Champ as the best cornerback seasons ever, In 2006, he allowed 4 passes on 36 passes attempted against, all for less than 15 yards, completely blanketed everyone, and out those 36 passes attempted against him, 10 were interceptions for 3 TDs, and 21 were pass deflections, and a QB Rating against him in the low 30’s. 31 of those 36 attempted passes against him were INTs or Deflections, with four being complete, and one being incomplete. 

2005 was a strikingly similar season. 

And now for the real numbers....

2005 -- 49-for-97, 680 yards, 5 TD (14 games)
2006 -- 50-for-95, 610 yards, 2 TD (16 games)

Gil is great. But he doesn’t have that aura that any of those CBs played. Because those Corners could go anywhere and dominate in any scheme. and are we sure Stephon is that guy? Is it a credit to Bills system? I do think it is. He’s not a generational talent and will be forgotten 10 years from now. Which is why he simply doesn’t command the respect pat fans cry about. Great player stuck in a bad era of truly elite game changing CB‘s. 

A bunch of these pat guys sans Brady will be over looked..

Vince 

Richard Sey

Bruschi 

Willie Mc

Adam Vin

Bunch Of Oline men

Cory Dillon 

Asante Samuel 

Ill take any of those guys in the HOF. I just pray and hope that pos Julian never makes it. Would be a crime if he did. 

23 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Because those Corners could go anywhere and dominate in any scheme. and are we sure Stephon is that guy? Is it a credit to Bills system? I do think it is.

Is playing man on an island really a scheme, though? Like if this were Richard Sherman in his Seattle Cover 3/Cover 1 surrounded by other talents, that’d be one thing. But Gilmore’s responsibilities in most Pats games aren’t any different than Revis’ with the Jets, Peterson’s for a while in Arizona, etc. Some CBs have an opportunity to move around and display different skills, like Woodson. Others pretty much just do what most consider the most valuable skill (shutdown CB), like Revis. 

I’m not on board with calling this season on par with the GOAT seasons at all, but scheme isn’t really the reason why. 

Edited by Yin-Yang

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Is playing man on an island really a scheme, though? Like if this were Richard Sherman in his Seattle Cover 3/Cover 1 surrounded by other talents, that’d be one thing. But Gilmore’s responsibilities in most Pats games aren’t any different than Revis’ with the Jets, Peterson’s for a while in Arizona, etc. Some CBs have an opportunity to move around and display different skills, like Woodson. Others pretty much just do what most consider the most valuable skill (shutdown CB), like Revis. 

I’m not on board with calling this season on par with the GOAT seasons at all, but scheme isn’t really the reason why. 

Where was this status 5-8’years ago? Why did he bloom as this shut down corner these last 2 years? What team is he playing for? He was never touted as an elite corner in Buff and they’ve always had a great defenses. 

Edited by ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI

33 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Where was this status 5-8’years ago? Why did he bloom as this shut down corner these last 2 years? What team is he playing for? He was never touted as an elite corner in Buff and they’ve always had a great defenses. 

I’m not disagreeing with the idea that he’s bloomed under Belichick/the Patriots as a whole, but again, what is so unique about playing straight up man coverage?

Look at all of NE's dbs advanced metrics.. they are all amongst the best. I said this awhile ago and i stick by it. NE rarely has talented players. They just have the greatest architect of efficient systems that align the players to maximize their play.

I dont know why NE fans take that as an insult. Because of this, they have the greatest sports dynasty... SPORTS dynasty ive ever seen.  But its not because they have truely great individual talent. They have the greatest system architect that masteres chess. 

I think Stephon is talented, because he was a stud in Buffalo to.  Bill makes good players great, great players all time.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Look at all of NE's dbs advanced metrics.. they are all amongst the best. I said this awhile ago and i stick by it. NE rarely has talented players. They just have the greatest architect of efficient systems that align the players to maximize their play.

So yeah, specifically as it pertains to Gilmore, I’d love to hear what awesome schemes he’s a part of that’s making him seem so great. 

The guy is playing man coverage on an island. It’s not unique. I’d be on board with saying that Belichick’s coaching is a huge part of Gilmore’s (and anyone in NE’s) development, but schemes? Bill wasn’t even calling the defense until this year.

4 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

So yeah, specifically as it pertains to Gilmore, I’d love to hear what awesome schemes he’s a part of that’s making him seem so great. 

The guy is playing man coverage on an island. It’s not unique. I’d be on board with saying that Belichick’s coaching is a huge part of Gilmore’s (and anyone in NE’s) development, but schemes? Bill wasn’t even calling the defense until this year.

The scheme is what NE is doing this year with their heavy blitzes and stunts at the LOS. I personally love defenses that blitz, it has such an amazing trickle down effect on the back end. Its what i hate about someone like Gus Bradley, he never blitzes. Im not a NE fan so i dont watch them like NE fans do. But to me it looks like they are blitzing more this year then in recent years. Which helps DBs in single coverage.