Where does Stephon Gilmore '18-'19 rank among the best recent seasons by a CB?

Apparition

14 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Its not even the best cb this year. Not sure what people are watching. But its no way close to all time play. Its very good, but not what some are selling. 

Year
2018*+
  Games Pass Coverage Pass Rush Tackles
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Tgt Cmp Cmp% Yds Yds/Cmp Yds/Tgt TD Rat DADOT Air YAC Bltz Hrry QBKD Sk Prss Comb MTkl MTkl%
2018*+ 28 NWE lcb/RCB 24 16 16 2 95 46 48.4% 518 11.3 5.5 5 73.9 14.1 420 98 2 0 0 1.0 1 45 1 2.2%
2019 29 NWE cb/DB 24 11 11 4 64 33 51.6% 331 10.0 5.2 0 40.6 10.5 225 106 0 0 0 0.0 0 34 5 12.8%

so allowing a 40.6 passer rating is not historical? Absurd take.

Most dominate season (So far) since Revis' 09 campaign, but not quite on that level IMO, which is a testament  to Revis as opposed to a knock on Gilmore. Is there even anyone outside of Gilmore still consistently shadowing the opposing #1 receiver? Also, for someone who's watched the Pats every week, how frequently is Gilmore actually left isolated following his guy around? 

1) 2006 Champ Bailey

2) 2005 Champ Bailey

3) 1994 Deion Sanders (SF)

4) 2009 Darrelle Revis

5) 2006 Nnamdi Asomghua

6) 2019 Stephon Gilmore

7) 1980 Lester Hayes

8) 2013 Richard Sherman

9) 2012 Richard Sherman

10) 1984 Michael Haynes

HM: 1993 Deion Sanders (ATL)

Just my opinion. Al Davis always had an extreme hard on for CB more than any other position. Was also the first owner to transition to more athletic guys after the 1978 5 yard separation rule. Which is why they had the best CB tandem from 78-86. 

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

Most dominate season (So far) since Revis' 09 campaign, but not quite on that level IMO, which is a testament  to Revis as opposed to a knock on Gilmore. Is there even anyone outside of Gilmore still consistently shadowing the opposing #1 receiver? Also, for someone who's watched the Pats every week, how frequently is Gilmore actually left isolated following his guy around? 

The Patriots will zero Blitz with Gillmore on the offenses' best receiving threat all alone and the entire field to cover. It's not even an island. It's a continent. 

Edited by Nex_Gen
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

The Patriots will zero Blitz with Gillmore on the offenses' best receiving threat all alone and the entire field to cover. It's not even an island. It's a continent. 

That's what I've seen but didn't know if it was an every week occurrence, not a coincidence that Rex did the same with Revis back in 09.

Having a guy like that is invaluable and essentially non existent in todays NFL

32 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

That's what I've seen but didn't know if it was an every week occurrence, not a coincidence that Rex did the same with Revis back in 09.

Having a guy like that is invaluable and essentially non existent in todays NFL

They used it over two times more than the next team (75 for NE incl. playoffs vs 36 for Browns) in 2018, and way more than every team on third down. They’ve been using it a ton this year too, but I don’t have the exact numbers. I know they had that look vs the Jets 11 times, so I imagine the totals will be as high, if not higher. 

To pile on to my 2005-2006 Champ as the best cornerback seasons ever, In 2006, he allowed 4 passes on 36 passes attempted against, all for less than 15 yards, completely blanketed everyone, and out those 36 passes attempted against him, 10 were interceptions for 3 TDs, and 21 were pass deflections, and a QB Rating against him in the low 30’s. 31 of those 36 attempted passes against him were INTs or Deflections, with four being complete, and one being incomplete. 

2005 was a strikingly similar season. 

Edited by BayRaider

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

To pile on to my 2005-2006 Champ as the best cornerback seasons ever, In 2006, he allowed 4 passes on 36 passes attempted against, all for less than 15 yards, completely blanketed everyone, and out those 36 passes attempted against him, 10 were interceptions for 3 TDs, and 21 were pass deflections, and a QB Rating against him in the low 30’s. 31 of those 36 attempted passes against him were INTs or Deflections, with four being complete, and one being incomplete. 

Honestly, I didn't even figure those years into my formulation because they were so long ago. I only really counted the past decade or so.

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Wasn’t that proven to be a myth? The whole 4 receptions thing?

I think jaws said it on TV and everyone ran with it 

• Like 1