Where does Stephon Gilmore '18-'19 rank among the best recent seasons by a CB?

Apparition

2 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

The scheme is what NE is doing this year with their heavy blitzes and stunts at the LOS. I personally love defenses that blitz, it has such an amazing trickle down effect on the back end. Its what i hate about someone like Gus Bradley, he never blitzes. Im not a NE fan so i dont watch them like NE fans do. But to me it looks like they are blitzing more this year then in recent years. Which helps DBs in single coverage. 

It is. We are blitzing FAR more. But he was good in a conservative defense too. 

On 27/11/2019 at 7:51 PM, JoshstraDaymus said:

It's hard to do this considering how much more prevalent the passing game is now as opposed to even just a few short years ago, no? We will get to see just how good Gilmore is really this weekend, because he's going to be matched up against DeAndre Hopkins all day long. I think that's a real barometer wherein we can tell just how good his season has been.

If only he had previous games against Hopkins where we could use this barometer....

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

ah yes, the arbitrary cut-off argument. So you think if he proves himself THIS time, it counts, but not when he did it the other two times?

Interesting.

The topic is about this season. So let’s say he goes out and gets lit up by Hopkins for big yards  and a few scores, that would overall devalue the point now wouldn’t it?

1 hour ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

The topic is about this season. So let’s say he goes out and gets lit up by Hopkins for big yards  and a few scores, that would overall devalue the point now wouldn’t it?

" We will get to see just how good Gilmore is really this weekend, because he's going to be matched up against DeAndre Hopkins all day long"

Does he have to reset and prove himself every season then? So you probably think he's previously proven his worth by forcing D-Hop to average 40 yards over 2 games, if that's the barometer. So you must have previously considered him good because he done very well against D-Hop. But now that it's another season, he's no longer good until he plays and does well AGAIN against Hopkins? 

Do you feel the same way for every player? So, for example, we won't know how good Lamar is yet because he hasn't faced the number 1 D in SF yet?

Since the start of the 2018 season, Gilmore ranks first among all cornerbacks in PFF coverage grade, forced incompletion rate (22 percent), completion rate allowed (46 percent), and passer rating allowed on passes into his coverage (57.3).

Gilmore has been even more stingy when you restrict the sample to just this season, allowing a passer rating of 37.4 on 66 targets. The passer rating of spiking the ball on 66 consecutive passes would be 39.6. 

There's your barometer. Spoiler: he's good, and if he has ONE bad game against an elite WR, it won't mean that he's not good all of a sudden. 

28 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

" We will get to see just how good Gilmore is really this weekend, because he's going to be matched up against DeAndre Hopkins all day long"

Does he have to reset and prove himself every season then? So you probably think he's previously proven his worth by forcing D-Hop to average 40 yards over 2 games, if that's the barometer. So you must have previously considered him good because he done very well against D-Hop. But now that it's another season, he's no longer good until he plays and does well AGAIN against Hopkins? 

Do you feel the same way for every player? So, for example, we won't know how good Lamar is yet because he hasn't faced the number 1 D in SF yet?

I think you're misconstruing what I'm saying, and maybe I worded it badly, because I didn't put "This season" in. I don't get why you're taking this as if it's some sort of sleight toward Stephon Gilmore and it's not at all. This is about how good he is THIS SEASON, and yes I'm aware of the past statistics, but if he were to get lit up, it changes the entire makeup of the argument.

You're seriously jumping to a ton of conclusions that don't need to be jumped to. The dude is the best corner in the league right now, and he's probably DPOY if you asked me, but this is a comparison in the pantheon of several other seasons by several other corners.

14 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

There's your barometer. Spoiler: he's good, and if he has ONE bad game against an elite WR, it won't mean that he's not good all of a sudden. 

And literally NO ONE is saying this, but what I am saying is IF. IF. IF.(and bear with me here) he gets lit up, it makes the season long debate tumble down a bit.

Again, no one, not even me is attacking how great he's been this year, but what I am saying is if he has a major slipup, that needs to be taken into account. You can be an elite player, and have a bad game, and still be elite, but it does degloss your season just a bit. It literally happens every single year.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Cant say im surprised by his success... as a Bill his big issue was penalties... holding, illegal contact, and PI... now that he plays for the Patriots and has the refs on his side he doesnt get called anymore and his biggest weakness is gone.

giphy.gif

On 11/28/2019 at 4:26 AM, Bearerofnews said:

Look at all of NE's dbs advanced metrics.. they are all amongst the best. I said this awhile ago and i stick by it. NE rarely has talented players. They just have the greatest architect of efficient systems that align the players to maximize their play.

I dont know why NE fans take that as an insult. Because of this, they have the greatest sports dynasty... SPORTS dynasty ive ever seen.  But its not because they have truely great individual talent. They have the greatest system architect that masteres chess. 

I think Stephon is talented, because he was a stud in Buffalo to.  Bill makes good players great, great players all time.....

Yeah it’s not like Gilmore is a first round draft pick with the perfect height for his position or anything