Where does Stephon Gilmore '18-'19 rank among the best recent seasons by a CB?

Apparition

Not even up there with me imo. 

Champ 

Jalen 

Revis 

Josh Norman panthers

Casey Hayward a few years back all have been better IMO. I look at NE defense as a hole and I’ve been more impressed with Collins super crazy efficiency driven season numbers. 

But to each there own. 

19 minutes ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

Not even up there with me imo. 

Champ 

Jalen 

Revis 

Josh Norman panthers

Casey Hayward a few years back all have been better IMO. I look at NE defense as a hole and I’ve been more impressed with Collins super crazy efficiency driven season numbers. 

But to each there own. 

I'm fairly confident that Champ Bailey has never had a season like this.  He's a great player, but he wasn't anywhere close a 'lockdown corner' like he is remembered.

It's up there. He shadows a ton, and personally I put significant stock in CBs who can effectively take away #1 options, so and I think his 2019 only really trails Revis for me in terms of the past decade of peak CB play. Rhodes did an amazing job of that in 2017 w/ outside #1 WRs, but it wasn't quite at the level Revis did or Gilmore is doing.

I'm not sure any of those other mentioned CBs were in as good a defense (taking into account personnel and coaching) as Gilmore is in now, so you have to take that into account a bit, everything is easier when your entire defense is operating at such a high level, but what he's doing is amazing. Clean sheeting Cooper, who has been on fire? Remarkable feat. 

1 minute ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Nnamdi Asomugha had a few insane years.

The thing about Asomugha is that the way he shriveled up in Philly really does make one question whether he was really that good or the other guys on those Raider secondaries were just so bad that everyone just picked on them, instead of the one competent guy in the unit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Starless said:

Off the top of my head

Revis '09-'11

Sherman '12-'14

Chris Harris '15-'16

Xavier Rhodes '16-'17

Jalen Ramsey '17

Probably others that you can name. But where does Gilmore's last couple of years rank among these?

Gilmore, Sherman, and Rhodes all had elite deep coverage safeties behind them as a safety net though.  Revis stands out to me as legit being out on his own island and holding it down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Gilmore, Sherman, and Rhodes all had elite deep coverage safeties behind them as a safety net though.  Revis stands out to me as legit being out on his own island and holding it down.

I'm not sure about Rhodes but Gilmore and Sherman typically didn't get much safety help. The Pats typically roll McCourty over to whatever side the #2 CB is on. Same for Sherman with Earl Thomas.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

I'm fairly confident that Champ Bailey has never had a season like this.  He's a great player, but he wasn't anywhere close a 'lockdown corner' like he is remembered.

Champ Bailey was a beast. And holds arguably the greatest season that can’t be backed up lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Starless said:

The thing about Asomugha is that the way he shriveled up in Philly really does make one question whether he was really that good or the other guys on those Raider secondaries were just so bad that everyone just picked on them, instead of the one competent guy in the unit.

THIS

If I recall, Asomugha only played one side of the field, so teams could just move their #1 option to the other side and pick on the Raiders #2 corner all day long

• Like 1

2005-2006 Champ Bailey was unstoppable. Although 1999-2007 he was a stud. But those two years, utterly GOAT status. Champ is without question the greatest corner of this century. 

2009-2010 Revis was pretty dang good. I actually think he regressed in 2011. But then on the Pats 2014 team he was 100% elite again. Fell off a cliff after that though.

And the Nnamdi hate in this thread is laughable. 2006-2008 Nnamdi was absolutely a Top 2 Corner and complete beast. If you look at PFF, he started regressing in 2009, and big time in 2010, before joining the Eagles in 2011. They didn’t do their research. Nnamdi’s 2006 season is one of the greatest CB seasons in the history of the sport. Dude had 8 INTs, 19 Pass Deflections, and a QB Rating against him in the 30’s. 

I would personally say 1994 Deion Sanders, 2005 Champ Bailey, 2006 Champ Bailey, 2006 Nnamdi Asomghua, and 2009 Darrelle Revis are the five best CB seasons I have ever witnessed. 

I’ll say 2006 Champ Bailey is the best CB season ever. 

• Like 1